PLEASE HELP Bearded dragon not getting better after vetvisit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackymoo799

Original Poster
Thank you! I will contact them when I get off work today. Does anyone know about how much X-rays will cost? I know it’s different depending on where you go but an estimate would be great. I work at a restaurant so sadly I don’t make much, but I’ll do whatever it takes to get Luna better. I have heard of a thing called “Care Credit,” does anyone have experience using their services that could give me a little insight to how it works?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can usually call ahead and ask if they have a vet on staff experienced with treating bearded dragons. They will also often give you cost estimates for tests and exams ahead of time which is nice. Much different than human healthcare. As I recall, dental x-rays (cheaper and used for small reptiles) cost about $90 for the test here. Care Credit is basically a credit card for vet care. It's probably best to first check with the vet and see if you can work out a payment plan if needed. They are usually willing to help and accommodate.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going today, has she not improved much yet?
I hope you are able to find a vet to get her into. Keep us posted on her.
The Care Credit is always helpful & many vets do accept that.

Tracie

Mackymoo799

Original Poster
Luna seems to be pretty much the same, she wants to move around and stuff she just is having a hard time :( the only time she uses her back legs is when she is soaking in very warm water. I’m hoping within the next few days I will get her into a better vet that can help her more. Thank you for the continued support!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Takes a LONG time cf mammals for reptiles to heal or get better, this is a consequence of their much slower metabolic rates and differences in how their immune systems work.

Patience if the key.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sure everyone here is pulling for her ! Have you been getting more baby food, olive oil + water in her. You can mix them all together. Make the bath water a bit deeper than usual as well, and try the heat pad after if you haven't already. Best wishes !

Mackymoo799

Original Poster
Hi everybody, Luna still has not made a bowel movement. I tried placing her on a heat pad with her light over her, she tried to move around a lot while I was doing this, and she kept licking the towel I had her on. I’ve never seen her do this before, but it was before I had given her any oxbow so maybe she was just hungry? I am going to try and get her into a vet and x-rayed so we can see how bad her impaction is. Today is her last day on the calcium supplement the last vet gave me, how should I incorporate calcium into her diet from here on?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any powdered calcium? You can use that & put in a small pinch daily with her food
& or slurries. Will she not eat any type of insects at all?
Let us know how the vet visit goes & if anything is seen on the x-rays. I hope she gets to feeling
better soon.

Tracie

Mackymoo799

Original Poster
Hi everyone, Luna has made some big improvements in the last 2 days! Last night after her soak she started walking using her back legs again, which made me very very happy. She is also very alert now, moving around her tank (although she still has a little trouble with her legs) and she seems to have her appetite back. I still won’t give her anything solid until she produces a bowel movement, but I have a feeling we are getting close to that! All in all she seems to be feeling much better, she no longer sits in just one corner of the tank, instead she is moving around between the hot and cool side again. I am going to sontinue her soaks and giving her olive oil and baby food as well as the oxbow. Thanks to everyone for all the help! I will continue to give updates on how she is doing :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news Luna has started to use her back legs again some, what a big step! It
sounds like she is feeling quite a bit better also if she is starting to move around more &
regulate from the warm to cool end again.
I hope she continues to get better now. Definitely continue with the softer foods for a bit
longer but it seems like it is really helping. Keep us updated, absolutely, we are all pulling
for her!

Tracie

Mackymoo799

Original Poster
Hi everyone, today I have some great news! Luna made a bowel movement today! All in all it looked pretty normal, brown and white but it was definitely the largest I have ever seen her make. She is looking and feeling less bloated, but she still isn’t moving too much. I think she is just exhausted from this whole ordeal. I definitely will not be giving her superworms for a long time after this! Is it ok for her to get solid foods again? Or should I wait a few days just to make sure everything is all cleared up? And is there anything else I can do to make sure that this doesn’t happen again?
Thanks so much for the info and support! I definitely would have been lost without it!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yay !! I rejoice with you + Luna. :) They usually do " go " if given enough time so that just took a little while longer than you expected. For now just more soft foods at least for a few days, then offer insects that are a bit on the small side for a while. Crickets , roaches, bsfl, and silkworms can all be good staple insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom