Eye Infection? (Updated w/ pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

This morning Pancake had some slight difficulty opening his left eye, and when I looked closer there was a small amount of clear goo in it, that almost looks like the sleep that humans get in their eye. By the afternoon he wasn't opening his eye at all. I called a reptile vet in the area for some advice, and they said to try Polysporin eye drops for 3 days, and if it doesn't clear up to bring him in for an appointment. He had no signs of this goo/discharge at all yesterday evening.

When I got home, Pancake still had his left eye closed, but did not seem irritated. He opened it a little bit when he heard me, and then closed it again. I took him out of his tank to administer the eye drops, and he opened his left eye with no problem and kept it open the entire time he was out of his tank, which I am slightly confused about. He is still alert, hyper as always, his BMs today were normal and he still ate his veggies this morning without a fuss.

The eye drops didn't seem to bother him too much, and it almost looked like they loosened up the goop. Is there a way I could remove the goo off of his bottom eyelid without irritating it? I've read some posts that say to use a q-tip but others advise against it

Thanks!

(I'll upload pictures of his eye tomorrow if it helps, he's sleeping at the moment and I don't want to disturb him :s)

Q-tip or wet tissues works well. Your beardie probably won't like it but it's better than being half blind. My beardie has had this discharge problem for years. From what I can tell, it isn't an infection, but it could be different in your case.

Remove the goop and see if it comes back. If it does, I'd go up to the vet and get some eye ointment. Tricin works like magic on the problem.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
TheRamiRocketMan":33gsbrjb said:
Q-tip or wet tissues works well. Your beardie probably won't like it but it's better than being half blind. My beardie has had this discharge problem for years. From what I can tell, it isn't an infection, but it could be different in your case.

Remove the goop and see if it comes back. If it does, I'd go up to the vet and get some eye ointment. Tricin works like magic on the problem.

I tried both q-tip and tissues today, I had more luck with the tissues but I'm worried about hurting him. Do you know of any videos that show the goop being removed?

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yesterday was the first day I tried the Polysporin eye drops, I was told to put them in twice a day. I think they may have helped as today Pancake opened his eye with no problem at all. However, there's still the goop, although now it looks much clearer.

96854-4271788634.jpg

This was his eye yesterday, the layer of goo is pretty thin but you can see it on the bottom of his eyelid.

This is his eye today
96854-4343299423.jpg

It's kind of hard to see in the picture but it almost looks like a clear/slightly cloudy film.

His vision doesn't seem to be affected, he chased crickets and a soldier fly for breakfast with no problem.

But I'm still having issues trying to get the goo out of his eye to see if it comes back or not. I don't know if it's just because I'm overthinking while I'm doing it because I don't what to hurt him or what :( Is it okay to put an extremely light amount of pressure on the goo? Or should it just kind of adhere to the tissue when I try to take it out?

UPDATE: The goo came out of his eye on its own yesterday, it looked like it had a little piece of shed stuck in it. So he's all good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom