Help! My beardie jumped off the chair today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my beardie, Cinnamon on August 15th, 2018.....
She's still very excitable and there was a lot going on today with having met my parents from out of state. She jumped down on to the floor from my chair....and landed on the floor ... She got the wind knocked out of her and I noticed she shook a little bit but seemed fine after a few minutes. She has been eating and interacting normally today with us after a while. She has been walking around normally and breathing normally. When I put her to bed, I did notice some panting briefly but I think she may have been laying in a position in her bed that she must have when she settled into reminded her of the fall, I took her out, cuddled her and got her calmed down and now she's asleep and have gotten her settled back in and she is no longer panting and is sleeping soundly.... I changed the position of her blanket and raised her pillow up under her chin to help her feel more secure ......

She has never jumped from a chair before and usually, I can catch her but because she ran down my back, I was unable to catch her... What signs should I watch for as I am a brand new beardie owner...... and Do I have anything to be concerned with.....Eating has been normal as well... I did not feel any breaks and she landed on all 4 feet .....She was shaken but did not appear to show any injuries just a little shaky... but no bleeding or anything like that... Please help put my mind at ease and advise a brand new mommy on how to calm the fears of 1st-time mommy jitters with jumping ....Is she going to be ok?

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Hi, welcome to the forum, :) I'm no expert like most but I would say a few signs is - muscle movement like they are legs still functioning, they are no cuts on the flesh, and for the breathing it's because probably exhausted a little and trying cool there body down :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The smaller they are less likely to be harmed from such a fall. The it's all to do basic physics of the mass falling under gravity ( F (impact) = k.M.g , where k is the dampening of the surface landed on and M the mass of the dragon , and the kind of surface it landed on (carpet, tile, lino, grass).

How much does your dragon weigh ?

A dragon is not a cat (or a dog) so will have been scared / stressed by the presence of strange people who are noisy and too close …. best to hold off this kind introducing until your dragon is bigger older and much more relaxed / laid back about people.

cinnamonsmommy2018

Original Poster
forgive me for sounding naive, but can someone please teach me how to weigh my bearded dragon? Thank you for the tips on the introduction to new people... She is still just a baby and as stated, I got her as a baby around a month old on August 15th of this year, and Now that we are in November, She will be 4 months on the 15th of this month...

However the good news is that she did poo today and there was only a little bit of weird panting when she jumped out of her bed at 9:30 this morning, it lasted all of 5 minutes to catch her breath... and she hasn't done it since she went potty ... So I think she was constipated from not having gone to the bathroom all day since the fall..... She hadn't been the bathroom since earlier that morning... So I think she was just resting most of the day from being shaken up... She did eat the minute I put her food in her cage so her appetite is normal... I'll post a picture for everyone to see her...

cinnamonsmommy2018

Original Poster
Btw, if it helps on the weight, when I measured her last, she was 1ft long.... but I have not learned how to weight her... Here is her picture

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
My adult beardie jumped from my mom’s shoulder onto the cement floor at the pet store. Keep in mind mom is about 5 ft 9in. As long as your beardie Ian acting normal I wouldn’t worry about it.

cinnamonsmommy2018

Original Poster
Thanks, Quinn... I have a precautionary appointment in the morning for her.... I know last night with the panting it concerned me and she did it a few times this morning but then I looked at her humidity gauge and it read 20% and it is normally around 30% may be a little higher and realized she may be adjusting to the temp change but she hasn't done it since... So maybe perhaps she has adjusted. She only pooed in the morning yesterday and hadn't gone at all yesterday but she did twice today and ate normal but usually goes running for her food which I had to show her that I had put her food in..It's like oh yeah breakfast time.....so her energy is a little low but she's otherwise mostly acting normal.

She has still been a bit on the quiet side today and hasn't really chased many crickets today but when I put her on our floor carpet she more than willingly went for a walk with me into our bathroom and checked things out and she even sprinted a few times so she seems to walk/run normally and didn't have any balance issues.... So she seems neurologically intact .... but maybe she is just having a "I'm trying to make a bounce back" night but I've seen her a bit quicker than what she has been today. I'll let you all know what the reptile vet says tomorrow.

cinnamonsmommy2018

Original Poster
Ok.... So I took her in today for a precautionary check up and they said she weighed 140 grams... not sure what this translates into pound wise but they said she is growing well and otherwise healthy.

They said she did sustain some minor trauma from the fall but things could have been much worse for her. She did have some minor lung bruising but that her hygrometer was also a little on the low side. They said gave me some paperwork and told me that the recommended humidity was actually between 40 and 60% because I had read somewhere that it was actually between 20 and 30%. So I had it a little too low but I was otherwise doing well with her. They told me to keep an eye on her the next couple days and make sure she is eating and drinking normally with pooping normally... They said to also take her out and let her do some walking to keep her legs strong too but it is too early to tell if anything permanent has happened from this fall. The doctor does not suspect anything based on the fact she did not show signs of distress in the office or act out of what she was looking for but she did tell me if I notice anything out of the norm, to let their office know because they will run tests on her at that point and make sure nothing has developed from there. She seemed overall happy with her progress and Cinnamon wanted to snuggle with the doctor today as well. So it's just a matter of watching her over the next couple days and make sure no further complications develop but they did give her a dewormer and they will check a stool sample in a couple weeks which she wasn't thrilled about getting today and we will go from there. So she'll have some time to recover and see how she does over the next couple weeks getting back to herself.

But I AM happy to report that she did go charging after crickets today for the first time after a couple days and her breathing was a lot better and she is starting to be much more active however after her appointment and getting her dewormer she decided it was in her best interest for a nap Lol. So while she is still recovering from the fall and me watching her like a hawk the last couple days she's making up for the sleep we both lost the last couple days. So big improvement today.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
cinnamonsmommy2018":1mjpr8u2 said:
Thank you! I will have to look into getting one....

it's always a good idea to weigh and measure them roughly every 2 weeks and at same times and take photo so you can monitor the weight and length :) and I'm not a expert but from what I've read here from reading several post - I am / we are all expecting a beardie to get about 170 to 200 grams and about 2 foot (60 centimeters) in fully grown length :) but I maybe wrong but that's my rough estimate from making a conclusion in what to expect but each beardie different :) and don't worry if it has a time not eating as sometimes they do it when not hungry or due to shed :) but again I'm no expert I've only had my beardie 6 months :)
98861-4047951354.jpg

cinnamonsmommy2018

Original Poster
Thank you Jimmia and everyone here! It brings comfort to having this group here... it makes getting over 1st-time new mommy jitters easier here and Cinnamon has been doing much better today and is in bed for the night. It will be interesting to see how she does when she wakes in the morning. I have to take her back for a recheck in 2 weeks for a follow -up eval and hopefully, there should be no further complications but I hopefully will have a better idea of how she does with her recovery by her next checkup and so far I'm very happy with how she is bouncing back...Btw, I also have two cats who absolutely adore her and she adores them. If there are any other tips and tricks I need to know in the learning phase which is obviously going to be for a while, please keep these helpful hints coming.

Aww. Such a cute bearded dragon. How old is your little beardie? My adults jump off low chairs and seem fine, but I always check. However, if she/he is a baby or juvenile, I would watch them for a few days to make sure they are behaving normal.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
cinnamonsmommy2018":2r3hluxt said:
forgive me for sounding naive, but can someone please teach me how to weigh my bearded dragon?

We have an old "Freeze Bee" scale we got from an antique store that I guess must've been for frozen treats, though I can't seem to figure out how the old-timers got their one-sitting-quart-of-ice-cream to register properly given the increments. Ice-cream must've been lighter back then ;)

100140-3038783227.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom