8 week old beardie - brumating or dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xllamberllx

I bought my beardie at four weeks old from Petsmart. I brought him home, fed him small crickets, heat lamps, UV light. Up till now he has been very alert and active. Today I noticed his light was off and he was very lethargic. He also seemed to have a piece of hard stool stuck to his bottom. I have given him a warm bath (He didn’t bother to keep his head up). I have him in his terrarium now with his light on. He responds to Sounds and being turned on his back. But I am worried about impaction or dehydration. I’m not sure what to do. It’s currently nighttime and my vet’s office is closed on Wednesdays. Help?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear this about the poor guy, was his heat lamp burned out or you just forgot to turn it on ? Without heat they can't digest food. Get some squash or sweet potato baby food , water it down and try to give him as much as you can. A few drops of olive oil or raw honey can also help him poo. It's too late in the night for a lot of anything to be done, so just a few drops for now. Let him rest and then try these things in the a.m. Then a warmer than usual 10 minute bath , pat him dry + put him back in the heat of the tank.

Can you post a few pics of him, the tank + lights and the size crickets you fed him ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

xllamberllx

Original Poster
I think he may be dying. He has very shallow respiration’s.. he’s getting more and more lethargic. The light was just turned off. I only have processed honey... is that ok?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
xllamberllx":2n8ivqv9 said:
I think he may be dying. He has very shallow respiration’s.. he’s getting more and more lethargic. The light was just turned off. I only have processed honey... is that ok?

Processed honey is adulterated (often with syrup) so is no good.

When you gently feel/press his tummy, do you feel any hard lumps ?
..., especially in the lower half of the tummy ==> may mean there is an impaction there still.
…, what substrate / bedding has he been living on ? (ie sand or paper or other ?)

How long has he been under his light ? ….
leave him under it (need to get his body temperature up to about 36 degC , very low body temperature will result in a very slow metabolic rate , and very slow shallow breathing.
Wont hurt to keep him warm overnight (ie leave his basking globe on overnight) to try to warm him back up to a body temperature that will give him a normal hatchling's metabolic rate.

Keep us posted , I hope he makes it through the night and alert and wanting his bugs when you get up for brekky.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, he's probably not going to make it. And you can't press on the stomach of a 5-6" baby to feel anything , that alone could cause damage and it would be nearly impossible to feel any difference between the normal anatomy + anything abnormal. You CAN use regular honey + a drop of olive oil, it's just being used to try to clear the impaction and the sweet honey may be willfully licked up by the baby.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, I hope that he makes it. Let us know how things are going.
As suggested, if you feel he is impacted, the regular honey with olive or coconut oil & some
squash baby food or unsweetened applesauce would be helpful for him.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3nbs2u6d said:
I'm so sorry, he's probably not going to make it. And you can't press on the stomach of a 5-6" baby to feel anything , that alone could cause damage and it would be nearly impossible to feel any difference between the normal anatomy + anything abnormal. You CAN use regular honey + a drop of olive oil, it's just being used to try to clear the impaction and the sweet honey may be willfully licked up by the baby.

I stand corrected wrt pressing the tummy VERY GENTLY and sure if the adulterated (processed) honey is just a sweetener to try to get the dragon to take the laxative I see no issue with that.
Olive oil is readily taken and works well , for small hatchling I'd try 0.2ml orally by eyedropper each day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us on your dragon?
We are all pulling for her. Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom