8 week old beardie - brumating or dying?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

8 week old beardie - brumating or dying?

Postby xllamberllx » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 pm

I bought my beardie at four weeks old from Petsmart. I brought him home, fed him small crickets, heat lamps, UV light. Up till now he has been very alert and active. Today I noticed his light was off and he was very lethargic. He also seemed to have a piece of hard stool stuck to his bottom. I have given him a warm bath (He didn’t bother to keep his head up). I have him in his terrarium now with his light on. He responds to Sounds and being turned on his back. But I am worried about impaction or dehydration. I’m not sure what to do. It’s currently nighttime and my vet’s office is closed on Wednesdays. Help?
xllamberllx
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: 8 week old beardie - brumating or dying?

Postby AHBD » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Sorry to hear this about the poor guy, was his heat lamp burned out or you just forgot to turn it on ? Without heat they can't digest food. Get some squash or sweet potato baby food , water it down and try to give him as much as you can. A few drops of olive oil or raw honey can also help him poo. It's too late in the night for a lot of anything to be done, so just a few drops for now. Let him rest and then try these things in the a.m. Then a warmer than usual 10 minute bath , pat him dry + put him back in the heat of the tank.

Can you post a few pics of him, the tank + lights and the size crickets you fed him ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby xllamberllx » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:21 pm

I think he may be dying. He has very shallow respiration’s.. he’s getting more and more lethargic. The light was just turned off. I only have processed honey... is that ok?
xllamberllx
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:40 pm

xllamberllx wrote:I think he may be dying. He has very shallow respiration’s.. he’s getting more and more lethargic. The light was just turned off. I only have processed honey... is that ok?

Processed honey is adulterated (often with syrup) so is no good.

When you gently feel/press his tummy, do you feel any hard lumps ?
..., especially in the lower half of the tummy ==> may mean there is an impaction there still.
…, what substrate / bedding has he been living on ? (ie sand or paper or other ?)

How long has he been under his light ? ….
leave him under it (need to get his body temperature up to about 36 degC , very low body temperature will result in a very slow metabolic rate , and very slow shallow breathing.
Wont hurt to keep him warm overnight (ie leave his basking globe on overnight) to try to warm him back up to a body temperature that will give him a normal hatchling's metabolic rate.

Keep us posted , I hope he makes it through the night and alert and wanting his bugs when you get up for brekky.
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby AHBD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:32 am

I'm so sorry, he's probably not going to make it. And you can't press on the stomach of a 5-6" baby to feel anything , that alone could cause damage and it would be nearly impossible to feel any difference between the normal anatomy + anything abnormal. You CAN use regular honey + a drop of olive oil, it's just being used to try to clear the impaction and the sweet honey may be willfully licked up by the baby.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 am

Hello,

Oh dear, I hope that he makes it. Let us know how things are going.
As suggested, if you feel he is impacted, the regular honey with olive or coconut oil & some
squash baby food or unsweetened applesauce would be helpful for him.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 am

AHBD wrote:I'm so sorry, he's probably not going to make it. And you can't press on the stomach of a 5-6" baby to feel anything , that alone could cause damage and it would be nearly impossible to feel any difference between the normal anatomy + anything abnormal. You CAN use regular honey + a drop of olive oil, it's just being used to try to clear the impaction and the sweet honey may be willfully licked up by the baby.

I stand corrected wrt pressing the tummy VERY GENTLY and sure if the adulterated (processed) honey is just a sweetener to try to get the dragon to take the laxative I see no issue with that.
Olive oil is readily taken and works well , for small hatchling I'd try 0.2ml orally by eyedropper each day.
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Drache613 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Hello,

Any updates for us on your dragon?
We are all pulling for her. Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER