Does anyone use pre-cooked insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm specifically talking about the sort you get in a tin like the herp diner stuff/ can-o-crickets etc.
Want to get something like this as a treat for Finn to jazz up his diet, not to replace livefood or be a main food source so I'm wondering if an opened tin will last in the fridge or if it needs eating fairly soon?
Going on human tinned food I'd maybe keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, but he probably won't get through a whole tin in that time. Has anyone used these tins before, did your beardie enjoy it? Any healthier than waxworms for treats? Thanks :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd stick with live bugs, even as treats. You can order things like horn worms and silk worms in small amounts so they will work as a treat. I usually order a container of black soldier fly larvae and they last for several months at room temp. They can hatch to flies but those are also a favorite treat (and slow moving, easy to catch). I'd avoid the canned stuff since they won't provide much by the way of hydration which is important.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tried canned silkworms once many moons ago, my BTs wouldn't touch them , the wild skinks outside and under my house refused to eat them (they did sniff the bits of silkworm I left them and that was enough for them). the ants made them disappear.

Stick with live insects - much more appetizing , and miles better nutritionally.

elliskate92

Original Poster
OK thanks guys! I've just ordered some horn worms so we'll see how that goes. Had got a tin anyway, opened it and smelled gross so threw it straight in the bin ?

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
If you want to go for something different as a treat I recommend repashy grub pie. It’s used a lot in New Zealand as a staple as live is so so expensive in NZ. It’s a well known product around the world though not just in nz and is highly regarded.
It comes in powder form and you mix it with water and it sets like jelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom