Dragon ate a gummy bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, the

As you can see by the title, my 2 year old was wandering around my room, and discovered a green gummy bear that was on the floor. I noticed her struggling to get something down and saw half of the bear hanging out of her mouth. At this point I rushed over and tried to pry her mouth open to get the thing out. Unfortunately she thrashed, swallowed the bear, and ended up biting my finger. She's still a little testy from testy from the incident, but otherwise has been acting normal since. I gave her some water, and now she's contently sitting under her lamp.

I guess at this point I'm just wondering whether or not it would be worth it to take her to the vet in response to this incident. I was thinking of giving her some pumpkin or a couple drops of olive oil to get her digestive system going so she can pass the bear. Anyone have any input, as I'm now worried about my little lady? :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, she should be fine. Adult dragons have swallowed everything from an entire sandwich bag [ which came out after about 3-4 weeks even though he poo'd in between ] to small rocks, rubber bands, coins, etc. The coins are the only things that I've read of that caused problems. I believe one dragon passed a dime but another swallowed a penny ,had surgery + died after surgery.

But your dragon should be fine, feed her as usual but slightly less amounts and give her " natural laxatives " like baby food prunes, squash, sweet potato and/or canned pumkin. Add a few drops of veg. oil or raw honey to any of those. No need for a vet, just be patient because it may take a week or so.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I also suggest offering drops of water on her nose to lick up. The extra water may help the gummy to dissolve and pass through. It may also help dilute the high levels of sugar which aren't healthy for them. I agree that she should be OK though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bet he thought he was on a good thing …. someone try to take a gummy bear out of my mouth I'd bite them too !!! yummy !!!

Some extra hydration will help …. water , hornworms , seedless watermelon .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She will be fine! Adults are notorious for eating things they aren't supposed to. I agree, she
probably got excited with you trying to take something out of her mouth. LOL I'm sure that
she shouldn't have any trouble passing it through.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom