Basking Bulb Bliss - How long do your bulbs last??

Status
Not open for further replies.

launpalm

Hey All,

Question for yalls. What kind of basking bulbs (brand) do you use? I have been going through about 6 Zoo Med 100 Watt Basking bulbs a year, and I'm finally fed up with how often they break. I usually buy them out of convenience on Amazon, but i'm looking for something that is more durable.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands that last for more than 2 months? Plus where to buy them? I was looking into switching from the incandescent lights to the halogen lights, did anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks!
Drogo's Mom

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
I use GE 38 watt par 38 halogen bulbs in my 4x2x2 tank on a dimmer. I get them in a 2 pack at home building supply store. I originally stared out with 75 watt units but they were too hot. I know others on here also use these bulbs a well.

Peach

Hatchling Member
I use flood lights from the hardware store too. Set up the tank at the end of July and finally replaced the flood light 2 weeks ago. My T5 light (set up at the same time) I just replaced mid-October when it burned out. That was a little short-lived I thought. The lights re on a timer and are on from 8AM to 9PM.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
I use the Exo Terra Intense basking light, I've been using the 100W bulb for 7ish months and it still puts out a decent amount of heat. However, I've found these bulbs to be a lot warmer than the Zoo Med ones so if you consider trying it, keep that in mind when picking the wattage.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most long time owners, myself included, don't bother with pet store bulbs. Just go to Walmart or home improvement store + but a 4 pack of 75-100 watt halogen or other incandescent bulbs. It's all I've ever used for heat in over 20 years. They last for months, and if one blows out early you have 3 more . The 4 bulbs generally cost less than 1 pet store bulb.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, halogens are the way to go! Mine was actually already used when I started with it, and it has lasted for over two years now, and is still going strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom