Very aggressive baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just purchased a 3 week old beardie. Have had him for a little over one week now and he’s eating fine, uvb temp and everything on point. He’s eating like a champion but every time I go to pick him up he attempts to run away from me and when I get close attacks me. I don’t let it stop me from picking him up because he is so tiny and it doesn’t hurt. Will this just fade away with time?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ALWAYS offer a food bribe before handling …. he will soon lean he can trust you and you are the giver of yummy things ….

Everytime he opens his mouth in a threat / back off hooman pose ---- pop a tasty bug or worm in the open mouth from the side …. he'll soon become so full he'll refuse to open the mouth for fear of another food treat being popped in it.

patience and not forcing yourself on him are keys to taming a scared little lizard.

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
I’m still going strong with trying to tame him, he is such a turd. It might be because he’s been trying to shed this whole time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Shedding can certainly contribute to foul moods. Hopefully that will improve after the shed is done.

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
Well, it’s getting better, had him for a little over a month now, he has gone from about 4” to a solid 7-8. Almost completed with the first shed. Eating about 20-30 small Dubai’s daily and he no longer attacks me lol, but he does still runaway while I try to take him out. I’ve never had one this young, I thought he was a little older than he was when I had bought him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. They tend to be curious and a bit squirmy especially when they are young. If he wants to run around a bit when you have him out, I'd let him do so if it's safe and you can supervise him.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Typically they shouldn't be aggressive. The only time my beardie ever gets upset is when I touch his mouth, then he just opens his mouth. Be has never been mad enough to 'wave' to me or anything. Maybe he's just stressed or he doesn't like you any more. I've treated mine like my baby since he was 6 weeks old, he always sleeps with me and goes outside with me lol, maybe yours is stressed about the move as well

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
Yeah I think it was stressed, I’ve had him for almost two months now and he’s getting to the point to where my hand still frightens him a little bit, but not to the point to where he feels like dashing from me or defending himself anymore. I’m quite happy, he’ll chill with me now and not soley my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom