Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
26oct2018-gutzy-visit.jpg

Gutzy is back inside , made immediate use of her fooddish after studying me for a while from the top of the lounge while I was eating my lunch.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Aw she seems to like those bugs lol. She is so pretty! :love10:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, they're all very pretty. With their silvery scales, they look like little fishes with legs. I guess that makes sense, given that they like water...

Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that Cheakie was female -- I guess I was mistaken. Do you think he's the father of some of the expected little ones?

BTW, you provided enough geographical information in one of your latest posts that I was able to use Google Earth to zoom in on your general location -- looks like a nice place. Not high enough resolution for me to see any of the little lizards -- but the way things are going with the technology, maybe in a few more years... :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":1o7cmde6 said:
Yes, they're all very pretty. With their silvery scales, they look like little fishes with legs. I guess that makes sense, given that they like water...

Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that Cheakie was female -- I guess I was mistaken. Do you think he's the father of some of the expected little ones?

<<< I thought Cheakie was a girl until I got a really good look at him and noticed the broader head and I've never seen bite injuries on Cheakie's neck shoulders like with the girls, but noticed some scars on his head (from dominance fights with other male water skinks).

BTW, you provided enough geographical information in one of your latest posts that I was able to use Google Earth to zoom in on your general location -- looks like a nice place. Not high enough resolution for me to see any of the little lizards -- but the way things are going with the technology, maybe in a few more years... :wink:
<<<< plenty of eucalypt and Acacia pycnantha woodland not far from my place, far enough to safe from bush fires and visits from snakes , but near enough for birds and lizards to visit.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
PA310181-A.jpg

Fluffy sound asleep ontop her little house at 2am …. didn't have the heart to disturb her to put her to bed in her house ….
PA310183-A.jpg

She has me well trained …. she sits ontop her house or her piece of bark and looks at me "jedi" mind powers willing me to pick her up and get her out for "funtime".
If she's hungry she links my finger and nibbles it to tell me she wants a few worms or pupae , which She very daintily takes from between my finger IF I've decapitated them and squeezed some yummy stuff out , other wize she just stares at them ….

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
PA220190-crop--22oct18.jpg

cheakie-boy-looking-in - living up to his name … and he has been inside for the last few days , making visits to the sun on the top of the lounge.
Today he was so greedy he leapt off the lounge into the 30L plastic archive box I was sorting my latest monthly delivery of bulk medium crickets in got himself trapped in the tub and he unable climb/leap back out , so I let him eat a few crickets before transferring him , so he's in Gutzy's 10L isolation tub for now.

Wasn't very happy about my grabbing him (but with 1000 crickets scurrying and hopping in all directions (tipping the tub on it's side to let him out wasn't an option ,the only option was to reach in and corner him from above (very scary for a little wild skink) and to grab him with my hand as gently as I could.
A few squeaks (yes water skinks can be vocal …. squeaks mean "I'm scared" or "ouch" , "barks" mean "I'm having fun" from what I've observed with these little skinks ..., but he soon settled down when I placed him on my tummy under my cupped hand …. really long original issue tail , just the last few mm seem to be missing ( sibling nipped it off ?? perhaps ). Wasn't upset/scared enough of me to drop his tail which is a good sign (==> partly tame already).

Will give this little boy a day or two to feed him up while I decide whether to keep him as captive pet or to release him.
Here he is
PB010197a-checkie-juvi-male-1nov2018.jpg

PB010198a-cheakie-1nov2018.jpg

He's already availed himself of the feed dish (which has meal lavae and pupae in it - several raids - very hungry !!!) and demolished a freshly dead silkworm moth , and discovered the water dish which seems appreciated by him (he is a "WATER" skink).

Gutzy is still outside , still very pregnant , and still hanging out near my weedy pots.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Scorcher outside today and Gutzy has been inside , patrolling all over the floor in the lounge, kitchen and dining area this morning , even visited Peppa and George who have been quite animated since.

Made herself scarce when my wife got a bee in her bonnet and decided to give the carpet a good vacuum clean (grandson sleep over this weekend starting tonight)….

Fluffy slept through the vacuuming , Cheakie was more curious than scared , was really studying the strange noisy thing and my wife.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Wow. Cheakie's tail is longer than his body.

Your turn for warm weather. Our unseasonably warm fall came to an abrupt end and we had snow on the ground by Halloween, as usual. Expecting mixed snow and rain and ice in the next couple of days. So far this year, not too bad for Alaska, but still a good time to hole up in front of the TV and cuddle the beardie.

I think Gutzy has the right idea about staying away from the vacuum cleaner. Those little lizards could probably get seriously hurt if they got too close and if your wife didn't happen to see them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Cheakie forced the issue the other day when I was replacing his water and bedding in his tub, he climbed out quick as a flash and was off the coffee table and on the carpet in no time , did an explore about ( he wasn't running like a scared lizard , he was more in explore mode , he'd able ove and check , look about , do a few head nods , go somewhere else , and did the rounds of the kitchen , dining area, under the car fridge and fridge, visited the BT and beardie tanks, even headed up the hallway and stopped when he reached the unlit area (was 9pm so dark) , and disappeared eventually behind the TV /- video cabinet or buffet . :(

I had a cold snap since so he's not showed himself but I'm sure he's still inside but had been so well fed when he was a kept skink for a week that he's not really hungry enough yet.

Even Fluffy has been keeping a low profile since the cold snap hit (had strong cold S winds , and lots of rain) and not seen any skinks about outside until today when the sun returned and the gales became sea breezes.

Not having much luck with holding onto these captive "house" skinks. Once they get onto the floor and way from me, I have a policy of not chasing them (will only scare them and they might never come back (inside).

I upgraded Fluffy to a new 120L plastic tub yesterday , she's got a bit more space over the old 90L rearing tub she has been in for the last year.
The 90L tub finally became UV embrittled to the point that when I bumped it last night a hole was made (near the bottle of one corner) ….temporary patchup with a bit of bent cardboard taped to the tub to block the hole and keep Fluffy from climbing out through it and an hour with soldering iron (making air vent holes) and the drilldriver to attach the nanohood and the e27 socket under the lid ( self drilling hex head screws this time …. I've learnt from my experience with normal hex head screws - drilling pilot holes and then screwing in the screws is a PITB).
Replaced Fluffy's now 12 month old 26W UVB200 with one of my 6 month old 26W UVB200s as well ==> instant increase in activity from Fluffy , despite the tub being about an inch taller than the old tub.

So that was the last of my three original $1 SHOP "HOME GALLERY" 90L Tuff Tubs converted to rearing tubs. Originally setup for George & Mildred , then recommissioned and used to rear Rex & Puff, then Peppa & Toothless had their year in the tubs , and more recently Wriggle's , then Fluffy's home.
The other tub disappeared last year when it was cracked accidently after having Wriggles living in it for 3 years ( tub life = 6 years).
==> overall about 6 years constant service for each , 16 hrs INTENSE UV exposure per day 365 / yr for the time in service.
Very good value.
I hope the new ALL SET 120L tubs are as durable.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":3tnf0ri9 said:
Wow. Cheakie's tail is longer than his body.

…..

Very expressive with it too …. the way the tail is wriggled tells you what he's thinking …. same reason why Wriggles was called "Wriggles" ….

Most wild water skinks you'll encounter in the wild have regenerated tails or stumpy tails (from a recent predator encounter) , the regenerated tails take about a year to regrow , the females don't reproduce unless already pregnant when they loose the tail , and the final result are never as long , loose some the "patterning" and don't seem to be used as expressively.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well a lot of people are waiting......for your show on Animal Planet. [ Growing up skink maybe ? ] :D What people besides us kook reptile lovers could say " I thought I was flicking a cricket or roach off my arm but it was just a snuggly skink ! :lol:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
AHBD":ibnxlzuu said:
Well a lot of people are waiting......for your show on Animal Planet. [ Growing up skink maybe ? ] :D What people besides us kook reptile lovers could say " I thought I was flicking a cricket or roach off my arm but it was just a snuggly skink ! :lol:
LOL Yes!! An animal planet show on skinks would be awesome Lol.
kingofnobbys":ibnxlzuu said:
PA220190-crop--22oct18.jpg

cheakie-boy-looking-in - living up to his name … and he has been inside for the last few days , making visits to the sun on the top of the lounge.
Today he was so greedy he leapt off the lounge into the 30L plastic archive box I was sorting my latest monthly delivery of bulk medium crickets in got himself trapped in the tub and he unable climb/leap back out , so I let him eat a few crickets before transferring him , so he's in Gutzy's 10L isolation tub for now.

Wasn't very happy about my grabbing him (but with 1000 crickets scurrying and hopping in all directions (tipping the tub on it's side to let him out wasn't an option ,the only option was to reach in and corner him from above (very scary for a little wild skink) and to grab him with my hand as gently as I could.
A few squeaks (yes water skinks can be vocal …. squeaks mean "I'm scared" or "ouch" , "barks" mean "I'm having fun" from what I've observed with these little skinks ..., but he soon settled down when I placed him on my tummy under my cupped hand …. really long original issue tail , just the last few mm seem to be missing ( sibling nipped it off ?? perhaps ). Wasn't upset/scared enough of me to drop his tail which is a good sign (==> partly tame already).

Will give this little boy a day or two to feed him up while I decide whether to keep him as captive pet or to release him.
Here he is
PB010197a-checkie-juvi-male-1nov2018.jpg

PB010198a-cheakie-1nov2018.jpg

He's already availed himself of the feed dish (which has meal lavae and pupae in it - several raids - very hungry !!!) and demolished a freshly dead silkworm moth , and discovered the water dish which seems appreciated by him (he is a "WATER" skink).

Gutzy is still outside , still very pregnant , and still hanging out near my weedy pots.
Cheakie Is a gorgeous skink, He looks extremely healthy and has a wonderful full tail.

Hopefully Gutzy will have her Skinklings(?) soon without problems.

That's good that Cheakie has already settled in and taken a liking for the food and water dishes. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Fluffy's 1st anniversary of being rescued today and Peppa's 3rd "birthday" tomorrow (near as I can work out from her age when we bought her).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Celebrate! :blob5: :blob8:

When we first got him, our beardie's tail used to stick up like a little exclamation point whenever something surprised him. It's settled down quite a bit though in the last couple of years. I guess he's gotten used to what goes on around here and doesn't get surprised as much anymore. His human slaves are fairly predictable.

It sounds like you definitely got your money's worth out of those plastic tubs even if they did eventually succumb to the UV. We got a large glass aquarium for our beardie, so that's one thing we don't have to worry about, but it was NOT cheap... :wink:

I guess your weather in the spring can be just as crazy as ours in the fall. We're looking forward to a few more days of snow and rain and sleet and slush and ice and nasty road conditions. Good weekend to stay home, sit in front of the TV, and cuddle the beardie. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom