Falkor is starting to wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Hi,

I got some bad news from the vet. The swab came back as positive for atadenovirus. She wants me to keep going with the metacam and the anti-coccidia medication. She said it’s a good sign that he’s still eating a lot and that he gained weight (I weigh him on a digital scale every week). His heat bulb is a 150watt now so his basking temp is increased to help support his immune system, and she suggested taking him out for sunlight as much as possible (even though he has a t5 ho for his tank).

I’m hoping for the best since he’s still eating but he’s only a baby so I don’t know how strong his immune system is and if he can fight it off. I’m very sad and scared that I’ll lose him. I love the way he snuggles into my hand and just closes his eyes when I pet his eye ridge or under his chin. He’s still very alert and aware of when I enter the room and he won’t let me out of his line of sight. Please tell me there is hope.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, that is a real bummer. I help people with adeno testing too, through the Dallas, TX
lab & hate having to give bad news like that.
There are things you can do. I would not keep him on medications that are hard on his liver
because that will do more damage. Since he is young, his immune system isn't fully developed.
Usually from what I've seen, if you can get them to adult hood & over 100 grams, they stand a
great chance at living a full life.
Milk thistle & serrapeptase both help support the liver & immune system for help with adeno.
I have been working on getting a remedy for helping those with adeno & hoping that it will
clear some out. It has been successful in some cases of clearing it out. As with anything, the
results do vary, but it seems to be helping.
There is hope. You are doing a terrific job with him!

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
I went to a few stores to find milk thistle liquid and couldn’t find any. I did find the liquid online. How much should I give him? He’s 18g right now. I do have syringes given to me by the vet and his medications seem to be .05 or .06 ml. It should arrive on Friday. I couldn’t find the other supplement either though. Will the milk thistle be enough? Thank you so much for helping me through this. I just desperately want him to be ok.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Falkor is sure tiny, at 18 grams. Just give a few drops of the milk thistle. Does it give a
strength per ml, on the bottle?
Were you wanting to try some liquid serrapeptase also?
How is he doing this evening, any improvements?
We are all pulling for him.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
He now weighs 20g so he’s gaining weight, which his vet says is a very good sign... and i think he’s getting his tail ready to shed so I’m happy he’s growing. He still doesn’t have great coordination but I’m going after his round of anti-coccidia meds his immune system will be able to fight the virus better.

His milk thistle just arrived today and of course I’m at work so I don’t know what it looks like or if there’s any strength details. Should I try to give him a drop or 2 like I would with his other meds?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is little Falkor doing today?
The milk thistle is liquid correct? I think a drop or two would be just fine,
daily. You can mix it with his other foods/fluids daily if that is easier for
you both.
That is great to hear he is shedding, he must be growing & doing well right
now. How has his balance been doing?
Since he's gaining weight, I think that is a very positive sign for him.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Hello,
Yes, the milk thistle is a liquid and he HATES it. He'll lick up the drops when I put them on his nose but then he gives me this stare of "this is not what I thought it was going to be". I guess with all the chicken flavored medicine, he just keeps hoping that its going to be one of those lol.

He isn't shedding just yet, but his tail has become softer and brighter, so I know the shed is on the way, which I'm very happy about. As long as he's actually absorbing the nutrients from his food and growing, I'm going to stay positive about his prognosis. I do want to try the liquid serrapeptase if I can find it, but so far I've only found them in capsule form.

His balance still isn't great, but there has been minor improvement. His front arms seem to be more sturdy and he's holding himself up more. Not all the time, but I'll take what I can get. His back legs seem to still be having issues, but his last round of ponazuril is tomorrow and then I need to bring a fecal sample to the vet so they can check the coccidia level.

Is there anything else I can do for him in the mean time to help his immune system even more? He's "eating" a salad of kale and butternut squash dusted with calcium every day. I say "eating" because I'm not sure if he's actually eating it or not... it looks like he tries to walk through it, but the amount that's all over the place every day is less than what I put down for him so, I'm not sure.

Thank you for checking on him! It means a lot!

On a slightly more positive/adorable note, I discovered he loves the soundtrack to Coco and Moana. Apparently he's a disney dragon (which makes perfect sense). I'll see if its all disney or just a select few. But he apparently also really likes the soundtrack to Hamilton and French accordian music. I guess my little guy is eclectic just like his mom!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is so hilarious, Falkor is expecting chicken flavored drops but instead he got milk thistle.
LOL You could mix it with chicken baby food for him. Hopefully he will start eating more of
his greens & veggies instead of playing in them. LOL A lot of them will just run through them.
If he is shedding, & active, that is a great sign, too.
How did the fecal exam turn out, was it improved I hope?
At least he seems to be getting strength back some in his front arms, so hopefully his back legs
will follow suit soon for him. Keep working with him, he definitely is trying!
If you can't find liquid serrapeptase, I sell it online on my reptile supply store & I can send you
the link if you want.
Are you keeping him a little warmer at night, around 80 or so, to help boost his immune system?

So he loves music huh? That's great, what a little sweetie pie.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Haha no problem!

Mixing the milk thistle and liquid serrapeptase with baby food is a good idea. Maybe I’ll do that. He’s such a brat, but an adorable one.

100526-3794765268.jpg

That’s my little baby trying to hold himself up. He’s very smug looking because he got what he wanted (a lot of snuggles) and seems to think I’m well trained.. which I probably am.

I just weighed him today and he’s at 22g. I haven’t been able to bring the vet a new sample yet due to my schedule and the timing since it has to be “fresh” as opposed to dried out. Hopefully I will be able to in the next few days. His back legs stay bent more instead of straight out but he’s still not really using them. I’ve had to resort to turning him into a hover dragon to eat because when he misses a cricket, he sulks and then won’t try again.

He’s a very sweet boy. His shed still hasn’t started so any drop in appetite immediately makes me nervous, but the vet did also say she wanted to see him for a quick recheck to see how he’s doing. This little guy is giving me so much anxiety lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks good there, colorful. :D They know how to get their way that is for sure! LOL
It sounds like he could be a bit spoiled? LOL
I hope he starts gaining some weight soon also. I'm sure it is worrisome to have his appetite
decrease so hopefully it wont be affected too much with shedding.
I really hope his back legs regain some strength & mobility because that has to be frustrating
for him also.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Hello, sorry for the absence and lack of updates. Falkor is still eating like a little champ ranging from 22-36 crickets a day. His face is getting pale so I know it’s going to shed in a few days so that makes me very happy. His legs still aren’t great. His front ones are stronger but not coordinated and his back ones still don’t seem to have any feeling. When I pick him up by his tail his legs just sort of hang instead of scramble. I still have not had the right moment to bring a fecal sample but he is still going to the bathroom normally and has maintained his weight of 23g.

He still loves to have snuggle time, but he’s been a little grumpy as of late and I’m attributing that to his shed. He hung out with me while I played some video games and seemed interested until he fell asleep on my stomach. I still need to try to schedule a follow up appointment but my availability seems to not line up with my vets. Of course.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Falkor is doing so well & eating a lot right now. His face is going to shed also?
You can always gently pinch his back feet to see if he draws them back, just to test the
feeling & responsiveness in them. I hope he starts to get stronger, I know it's frustrating.
Have you tried water therapy to help with strength?
They all tend to get a bit grouchy when they have various parts of their body shedding. LOL
He is a well loved little one, so you are doing great! Keep us posted on his progress. :D

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Hey,

I’ve been a busy little bee (life tends to get hectic sometimes). Falkor is now at 24g. Slowly gaining weight, but I’ll take weight gain however he wants to do it lol. He ate a whopping 41 crickets the other day but now doesn’t seem as hungry... guess he’s still full! I’ve been applying a light pressure to his feet, just to gauge how he’s doing with reflexes and stuff and for the first time in who knows how long, he responded on one of his back feet!!!!!! He’s still wobbly and still lacking coordination, but small steps at a time right?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Falkor has shown a little bit of improvement on his reflexes with his foot.
I hope that is just the beginning for him then, great job. Bless him, I think in time he will
have a full recovery but it will just take some time.
Wow, 41 crickets! LOL That is great, he must be feeling better since his appetite is increased
now.
Keep working with him & let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom