Green Cloud in Pupil

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Green Cloud in Pupil

Postby Varalidaine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 am

Hello,

Today while holding my dragon, I noticed a greenish yellow cloudiness in his right pupil. His eating habits have not changed, he still hunts with excitement, and his winter slow down has been quite normal. I don't typically stare intently at his eyes and since his behavior was fine, I didn't think to do a careful inspection, so I have no idea how long his eye has been like this. It's not a film over the eye, it's in/behind the pupil. It seems similar to cataract but those seem to usually be a more cloudy blue with undefined edges and this spot is pretty defined and more of a greenish/yellow color. He has a vet appointment tonight, but I thought I would post to get some opinions.

His habitat is a 4x2x2 with an Arcadia 12% mounted inside with a normal fluorescent UVA bulb for added light. Heat lamp is a 50 watt Halogen and gets his basking spot about 98-105. I also have a CHE running 24/7 next to his basking light to give more ambient heat as the house gets chilly. He also gets outside time a few days a week for about 30 mins in the sun. Substrate is tile, main diet is various greens 4x a week and dubia 2x a week. I dust calcium on the dubia for one feeding and multi vitamins on the next dubia feeding. Insects are gut loaded with Repashy Superload.

Varalidaine
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Green Cloud in Pupil

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm not sure what that is. I just checked my dragon's eye and it is dark black throughout the center. It's good that he is still hunting well and appears to be able to see OK. I don't have enough info to know if that is harmful or not though. I'd be interested to hear what your vet thinks of it.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby Varalidaine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah, his other eye is completely black in the pupil as well. I feel guilty because I have no idea how long it could had been like this. It's such a small area, it easily could have been that way for months and just slowly gotten bigger. He had surgery on that side of his mouth a few months ago. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...
Varalidaine
Juvie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Wow I have no idea what that is.. could he be possibly be going blind in that eye? 🤔 Please keep us posted.
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby AHBD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:18 pm

How old is he ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Varalidaine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:24 pm

He's only 3!
Varalidaine
Juvie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Varalidaine wrote:He's only 3!

Hmm.. could he have like had an overexposure to a light that was in his eye for some time to cause temporary blindness? That is really strange. 🤔
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Cataracts ? …. so long as they are not covering the pupil …. not an issue but may be indicative of a vitamin deficiency.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/45e5/1 ... 285a4d.pdf
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm

I just spoke with my Optometrist and showed him the photo. He said it looks like reflection off of a mass. Since it is happening in only one eye and appeared recently then it is likely a trauma related cataract. This is just an educated guess though. He told me that cataracts tend to happen in both eyes at the same time unless they are trauma related. He sees similar issues in humans when they get hit in the eye by a racquetball for example.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 pm

CooperDragon wrote:I just spoke with my Optometrist and showed him the photo. He said it looks like reflection off of a mass. Since it is happening in only one eye and appeared recently then it is likely a trauma related cataract. This is just an educated guess though. He told me that cataracts tend to happen in both eyes at the same time unless they are trauma related. He sees similar issues in humans when they get hit in the eye by a racquetball for example.
Fascinating! :study:
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health