Poorly baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has he been losing weight? I would keep close track of that. If he has slowed his metabolism, his weight should stay pretty stable. Lethargic behavior with significant weight loss often indicates illness.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, he's much too young + small for brumation. Something else is going on there. I raised loads of babies and babies never brumate. He may snap out of his funk once he's feeling better + getting the heat + uvb he needs. In the meantime, try squishing a bug until the guts come out and rub that lightly on his snout, sometimes that will trigger the appetite.

Have you taken the wood chips out ? He may have swallowed little bits at a time so now that he has a problem that is unknown it's best to eliminate that potential danger.

Spyrorose

Original Poster
Ahh I'm so stuck. Yes wood chips are out have carpet instead. Last night about an hour before his lights went out he went under his cave and when I looked this morning his lights were on but he was still sleeping. Looking on other sites some are saying that they won't un till there one-two years old but then some are saying that they is a myth and with it being instinctive they can do it at any age. I think I will just try and squash a bug then if that does not work I shall have to force some baby food in to him and I'm also going to buy some scales today to keep track of his weight. Tyvm

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There is misinformation out there about brumation, the fact is that they can and do brumate before a year old sometimes, but this is only large dragons that have good weight + size on them by the time they are 9-10 months old for example. Babies + small juveniles that become lethargic + sleep are never brumating, they are that way because there is something not right in their environment and/or they have a health problem.

The poo looks like there's blood in it so I suspect either parasite or a piece of wood possibly causing some problem. It would be best to take the cave out for now so he has to bask + does not stay there for too many hours,sick babies will do that. It would also be good to either partition about 1/3 of the tank or put him in a smaller set up like this :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

This is a small/medium plastic storage tote with egg crating + stick for climbing. The lights just sit on top .

Have you tried a squished bug yet, and are the temps. increased from what they were ?

Spyrorose

Original Poster
And that's why I'm so confused ?.
I did do the bug thing but no joy he looks interesed at first and will lick it but then turns away. I got some scales and am going to weigh him tomorrow do you have any idea what he should be? I think I will keep an eye on him and maybe consider force feeding with baby food is butter nut squash and sweet potato ok?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Post some close up pics of him, as babies the visual appearance will tell you more than their weight which only fluctuates very small amounts when they are not well and being very small you don't always get a true accurate reading. Don't force feed, but keep trying things that he might like. Many beardies like Fluker's Retaid, see if you can find some. Then ad some Oxbow Critical care supplement , from a vet or order online. That will be more nutritious than just baby food squash.

But post some pics of your baby, next to a ruler to show size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom