Brumation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyandmushu

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but here we go.
My beardie has been brumating for roughly 3 months now. I get him out regularly to bath him and keep him hydrated. When I get him out, he wakes up abit but soon slows down to go back to sleep.
I would like to know if I should start getting him out of brumation and how do I do it.

Thank you :)

Sam

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sam,

Sure, brumation is a difficult time for most of us around here. It's hard to know exactly
what to do & when.
Has he maintained his weight pretty well? They can & often do, brumate for 4-6 months.
I try not to let ours go longer than 5 months, just to be sure they don't get too dehydrated.
You could probably let him go another month or so. To bring him out of it, you can uncover
him to try & encourage him to start waking up, etc. Do you have any lights on for him? If
not, you can turn his lights on for a few hours a day to see if that helps also.
Remember, they are slow to come out & their digestive systems have been shut down for
awhile. So, when you do start feeding him, it is a good idea to feed just greens & veggies,
with hydration until he has some normal stools. Too much protein when his system is still
somewhat shut down will give him GI upset most likely.
How old is he? Post some pictures of him also, so we can see his condition, if you can.
Tracie

sammyandmushu

Original Poster
Thank you for taking the time to respond!
He has lost abit of weight but that was expected.
His lights are currently only on for around 6 hours in the day. I may start extending the lamp hours gradually to help me transition easily.
I'll keep this thread updated on what happens :s

Sammy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom