Please help...red spots in bearded dragon’s mouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon23490

Hi, could you please tell me if this is mouth sore or infection? My beardie has been on baytril for a week now and i’ve been syringe fed probiotics+ electrolytes+fluker’s repta-boost mixture for 4 days. He refused to eat on his own so i had to open up his mouth and force fed him. I tried my best to be very gentle but i don”t know if it might’ve caused gum damage like this.... just noticed these red spots yesterday...does anyone have any experience about this?
To be honest, I’m losing faith in vets and I dont want my bd to go through all the stress of the exams, getting flipped around for check up and then antibiotic shots....

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

https://ibb.co/fkucmL
https://ibb.co/cEeXLf

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jon, well those don't look bad and should heal up after you're no longer the syringe . What is he being treated for ?

jon23490

Original Poster
AHBD":3op8bh7a said:
Hi Jon, well those don't look bad and should heal up after you're no longer the syringe . What is he being treated for ?

Thank you for your response. I’m actually not sure what’s going on with him. My bd threw up on 10/13. Since he has been having black bearded for more than 24 hrs and has some mucus around his mouth, i started the antibiotic on him on 10/14. He also tried to poop very often but only white/yellowish soft urate came out. Since then I’ve been giving plenty water+electrolytes+probiotics with fluker’s reptaboost. He threw up again on 10/17 (i think the reason was because I over did he water amount on this day). And on 10/18 a big hard stool packed with black cherry powder came out(since he refused vegetavles, i gave him this together with baby food squash, vitamins, and bee pollen every other day). But he still seems to be impacted. His beard gradually got back to normal and he started to poop out little firm stools everyday until today.

Yesterday i let him take a break from flukers powder and gave him ~ 10ml water with probiotics, electrolytes and a bit prunes added (administered by syringe little by little). His beard turns black again this morning when i woke him up. Let him bask in the sun for ~ 1hr. He pooped a little and then threw up the fluker slurries that i fed him the day before yesterday...his belly seems to be soft and bloated after i bath him in warm water...

I’m really worried but i dont want to take him to the vet. I took my other BD with similar problem to the vet 5 months ago. Vet did ultrasound, xray, flipped him up and down to examine, injected antibiotics but could not diagnose the problem. My BD passed away the next morning.

If you have experienced similar symptoms with your BD, please give me some advice.

P/s: my BD is about 3yrs old, weighs ~520g. I usually let him and bask the sun 3 or 4 days a week. Basking temp in his tank is ~92-98F. At night it’s usually from 75-78F. Eversince he was on antibiotics, i use night lamp to keep temp from 80-89
I feed him superworms every other day ~ 1-5 at a time and no more than 10 worms a week. On days he’s not on worms i syring feed baby food slurries with multivitamins, black cherry powder, and bee pollen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jon,

Did you double post your entire thread in another forum, here other than the Health area?
His mouth doesn't look bad at all & should heal up. How long has he been on antibiotics?
Has his respiratory infection improving?
You can use some diluted betadine to clean out his mouth daily with a swab. You can also
get some raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put in his mouth to help with any
irritation too.

Tracie

jon23490

Original Poster
Drache613":1ihh5y6p said:
Hello Jon,

Did you double post your entire thread in another forum, here other than the Health area?
His mouth doesn't look bad at all & should heal up. How long has he been on antibiotics?
You can use some diluted betadine to clean out his mouth daily with a swab. You can also
get some raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put in his mouth to help with any
irritation too.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,
Thanks alot for your response.
I accidentally submitted the same post twice in this thread.

He has been on antibiotic since 10/14, 8 doses not counting today. There seems to be no more mouth discharge. He just vomitted this morning. Should i stop the antibiotics?
I will look for the honey today. Should i mix it with water?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor guy....he's been vomiting as well as partially impacted ? What type of substrate is he on ? Can you post pics of his entire set up ? And yes, mix the honey with the water, it's a natural laxative as well as antimicrobial.

It is very concerning that he has these symptoms, it could be impaction but it could also be some type of mass. If you could have just one good xray done the vet could possibly rule that out.

jon23490

Original Poster
AHBD":22m6ciqi said:
Aw, poor guy....he's been vomiting as well as partially impacted ? What type of substrate is he on ? Can you post pics of his entire set up ? And yes, mix the honey with the water, it's a natural laxative as well as antimicrobial.

It is very concerning that he has these symptoms, it could be impaction but it could also be some type of mass. If you could have just one good xray done the vet could possibly rule that out.

He’s on alfafa pellets. I let him hang out in the back yard during daytime. He has some bone deformities at birth so he doesn’t run around too much and stays in the concrete area most of the time.

This is his stool a few minutes ago. Urate is yellowish and stool is still quite hard...he’s been pooping like this for couple days now and usually has a hard time getting it out...
https://ibb.co/f7TatA
https://ibb.co/iwfARV

jon23490

Original Poster
Drache613":2reqq8my said:
Hello Jon,

irritation too.

Tracie

Please let me know if there’s anything i can give him to soften up the stool besides honey and water+electrolytes?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jon, yes there are natural laxatives that work very well. Any of these or a combo of : baby food squash, sweet potato or prunes. A few drops of olive oil to those is optional. Canned pumpkin [ no spices ] or iceberg lettuce can also usually do the trick.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going with your dragon today?
Definitely try the natural laxatives for him, it is pretty easy on the system.
How is his mouth doing?
Has he stopped vomiting now I hope, poor baby. I hope he's feeling better soon. Yes, please
review more of your tank setup with us. What would be impacting him?
The antibiotics are notorious for messing with their system so do try to keep him hydrated &
try out the natural foods for help with his GI tract.
Let us know how he is doing.
Oh, I went ahead & just edited your double post, no problem at all. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom