What to do if bearded dragon eats an ladybug or boxelder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobus

Before anyone worries: my bearded dragon didn't eat a lady bug/asian beetle or boxelderyet

My house is becoming littered with tons of boxelder bugs and asian beetles (they are asian beetles not ladybugs but "Asian beetle" doesn't fit in the title) and I'm worried that my little boy will eat them. When I have had him out before he never payed any mind to the dead bug carcasses on the ground but asian beetles and boxelders have started crawling on the glass on his cage (because of the heat maybe?) and he has tried to eat them. I have a temperature probe wire coming out of the cage so it leaves a tiny crack on top of the cage and I'm worried one will end up crawling in, or when I have him out he could eat one.

I'm already very precautious about it but I want to know if there's something I can do if he does end up trying to eat on. I'm hoping he'll spit it out right away but if he doesn't, I'd like to know what or if theres anything I can do. Thanks :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
From what I hear asian beetles are poisonous to beardies- keep him in his tank and I would be making sure they dont get in his tank and I would be vacuuming them up as soon as you see a bunch - I have them in my house now too but I have not let Hiccup out to run - when hes out hes on me or a place where I watch him all the time anyway - first I dont want him under my couch and second I have cats but they dont bother him but I still watch anyways- I would be taking that probe out so they dont get in ----- as for lady bugs I have not a clue - you can always google - but as far as asian beetles they are not good!

Karrie

Lady-bugs are poisonous, as well as many other bugs. If I were you I would keep sticky fly-trap rolls hanging from some places, sticky cards on tables and counters, duel-sided sticky bug pads, things like that. Now you can go online and see how to make your own bugtrap (Fly-traps work on almost all bugs lol, I didn't realize that before) out of the bottom-half of a water/soda bottle. I wish you luck with your bug problems! Have a good week. Also, if your beardie does eat a lady-bug, give it activated charcoal. It helps absorb the toxins and get rid of them. I hope that he/she doesn't eat one though!

~ScaryDemonDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have that problem in my house. Darwin has gone after some asian lady beetles and some box edlers in the past but I do my best to vacuum and keep them away. Eating a few of them hasn't made him sick at all but I don't know what kind of pesticides they've been exposed to so I don't want him eating them. From what I've seen though, they do not appear to be toxic in small amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom