VERY SICK BEARDIE, NOT EATING, PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, here are some important notes:

-Floyd is a 2 year old male bearded dragon
-His cage temps are between 90-100
-He has a Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube light
- He doesn't have loose substrate
- He eats a variety of different greens (Mainly collard greens) and he eats superworms (2-3 a day now that he is an adult)
______________________________________________________________________________________

So, a few weeks ago Floyds appetite dropped significantly to a point where he would no longer eat. His bowel movements were mostly all liquid, sometimes showing blood (Which has since gone away). I took him to the vet and she prescribed him some antibiotics and gave him dewormer. She mentioned that he had parasites (I now cannot remember what they were called). I gave him the medication, no improvement. A few days ago, He goes and throws up part of a leaf and some superworm bits (Im assuming it was sitting in there since the last time he ate).Took him back a few days later, and she examines him and notices that his saliva is very sticky, therefore showing that he may have a bacterial infection. She did various tests on him to ensure there was not any impaction, they all showed up clear. So she gave him another round of antibiotics which were finished up yesterday, and still no improvement.

I went and saw her today and she says that she thinks that his gut is in some form of stasis from the cold. She gave me the following instructions:
_____________________________________________________________________________________

In the morning:

3cc Nutritional Supplement
Warm water bath
2cc of yogurt

In the evening:

3 cc mashed vegetables (baby food)
warm water bath
2cc warm water orally to ensure hydration.

DO NOT REMOVE FROM TERRARIUM EXCEPT FOR FEEDING
____________________________________________________________________________________
Now tonight i tried to feed him and he threw up. I feel like I should not be pumping his stomach with food if he doesn't feel good, but I also dont want him to starve. Afterwards, he actually had a proper bowel movement which is very exciting. I am thinking that maybe I should give him a few days and see if he feels any better? Just in case his digestive system has started moving again?

Also, I thought bearded dragons were lactose intolerent, so wouldn't giving him yogurt make his stomach upset too? Are there any other alternatives that will get good bacteria in there aside from yogurt?

What is your opinion? Are there any experts out there?
I need all the info that I can get.

Thank you for your time.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I'm sorry he's going through this. I would give him some probiotics since antibiotics, kill the good but flora.

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
destiny1998":1snytite said:
Hi. I'm sorry he's going through this. I would give him some probiotics since antibiotics, kill the good but flora.

Yes thats why ive been instructed to give him yogurt. But of course bearded dragons are lactose intolerant...so does lactose free yogurt still give the same probiotics and benefits as normal yogurt?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
heidiveinohatt":2srp6i32 said:
Does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on?
What's Floyd's condition? Same? I think the poster drache613 (Tracie) is the go-to person for the tougher cases. You might consider sending her a PM.

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Aaradimian":30psajsp said:
heidiveinohatt":30psajsp said:
What's Floyd's condition? Same? I think the poster drache613 (Tracie) is the go-to person for the tougher cases. You might consider sending her a PM.

I sent her a message. Do you think floyd could be throwing up because hes brumating and im force feeding him? Because they stop digesting food while they brumate. Right?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
heidiveinohatt":17mo86bz said:
Aaradimian":17mo86bz said:
heidiveinohatt":17mo86bz said:

I sent her a message. Do you think floyd could be throwing up because hes brumating and im force feeding him? Because they stop digesting food while they brumate. Right?

It's certainly possible, though if he has something else going on with his digestion like an illness, he'd probably throw up anyway. Beardies should not brumate on full or even partially full stomachs because that presents a health risk in and of itself. I think the food essentially rots in their guts.

I'd maybe hold off force feeding unless he's losing weight. My 1 y.o. goes off food from time to time, and I just monitor to make sure his forehead fat pads don't start to shrink and he doesn't display any other outward signs of distress. I do make sure he keeps hydrated though. Probably good advice in this case too, though there is an aspiration risk if you have to make them drink vs. letting them decide to do it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is a tough one for sure. Has Floyd been losing weight recently? How long has he been
in this state, somewhat a brumation phase, etc?
Vets oftentimes medicate a reptile that is in a true brumation phase & it can kill them. Was
a fecal done to determine parasites, before automatically medicating? Their saliva can be
sticky at times, especially if they are slown down.
It's never good to medicate any reptile without cause, because their systems aren't really
designed for heavy medications.
As far as the probiotics, a non dairy soy (organic only), yogurt, or a non dairy acidophiliz for
a probiotic are acceptable. They are lactose intolerant so it's better to not give dairy.

Is his beard darkened? Which antibiotics have been given to him?
Let us know how he is doing. Do you have pictures of him we could see also?

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":2lrolph3 said:
Hello,

This is a tough one for sure. Has Floyd been losing weight recently? How long has he been
in this state, somewhat a brumation phase, etc?
Vets oftentimes medicate a reptile that is in a true brumation phase & it can kill them. Was
a fecal done to determine parasites, before automatically medicating? Their saliva can be
sticky at times, especially if they are slown down.
It's never good to medicate any reptile without cause, because their systems aren't really
designed for heavy medications.
As far as the probiotics, a non dairy soy (organic only), yogurt, or a non dairy acidophiliz for
a probiotic are acceptable. They are lactose intolerant so it's better to not give dairy.

Is his beard darkened? Which antibiotics have been given to him?
Let us know how he is doing. Do you have pictures of him we could see also?

Tracie

He passed away last night. Thank you all for your time and effort in trying to help him. I truly appreciate it and I miss him so much. I really thought he was going to pull through.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am truly sorry for your loss, it broke my heart to hear of his passing!!! I lost my lil Peaches on the 1st of October and, I am still grieving. These little creatures have a way of getting to us in a hurry.

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Gormagon":2nrdqztz said:
I am truly sorry for your loss, it broke my heart to hear of his passing!!! I lost my lil Peaches on the 1st of October and, I am still grieving. These little creatures have a way of getting to us in a hurry.

It hurts a lot. I already adopted another little boy named Bowie, and it helps. I have so much love to give and it makes it easier to deal with the loss of my Floyd. Not that I am replacing him what so ever. I miss him so much <3

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
heidiveinohatt":1uw52ich said:
Gormagon":1uw52ich said:

It hurts a lot. I already adopted another little boy named Bowie, and it helps. I have so much love to give and it makes it easier to deal with the loss of my Floyd. Not that I am replacing him what so ever. I miss him so much <3
I am still debating with my heart about another one.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear you lost your boy, it's an awful feeling to lose one so suddenly. :cry:
I am sorry for your loss.
I hope your new boy, Bowie does well for you. Post some pictures of him in the photo expressions,
or you can here also if you would like.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom