Feeding crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kystou

Hi all,

I just got my 2 month old beardie last week and he’s settling in quite well and eating plenty. However I’m having some trouble feeding him. Could anyone advise please?

I’m currently feeding brown crickets roughly 5 - 10 mm as the dubias available where I live are a bit too big for him.

At the moment I’m painstakingly catching each tiny cricket with tweezers and feeding him around 35 of these throughout the day (he’s currently fed 3 times a day). As you can imagine it’s quite difficult as they hop around when I’m trying to catch them.

All of my research prior to buying him suggested putting them in a bowl or feeding him in a box outside of his viv, however I’ve found that they hop out of the bowl and hide in his viv (even if I refrigerate them first, they warm up before he catches them). He’s quite skittish and while I’m working every day on befriending him, I can’t currently pick him up to put him in a feeding box without causing some stress.

How do the rest of you feed your beardies crickets? :) Am I doing something wrong or is it really just a case of catching each one until he’s big enough for dubias or trusts me enough to be picked up?

OhMyNord

I take the stuff out of the tank, so there is nothing inside for them to hide under! Then Sonny chases them all over the place, he loves it! They usually crawl out after a while anyway and they gobble them up!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You need one of these : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vacuum-Spider-Catcher-Battery-Operated-Bug-Insect-Sucker-Wand-Critter-Hoover-NEW/273014220167?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 , the blue version is the one to get …. the pink version doesn't have the sucking power you need.

Tip the crickets into a 35L plastic archive box, suck up the number of crickets you want per feed, dump the sucked up crickets into a 100 ml round plastic tub or a small clean dry jam bottle , where the calcium powder is , lid on , shakey , shakey ==> dusty crickets , drop 3 - 4 crickets at a time into little beardie's tank, let him catch and gobble them down, add a few more, repeat til he looses interest (too full to eat more).

Makes very fast work of catching the crickets and sorting larger bulk batches, and it's a great gadget to have to catch those inevitable rogue crickets who jumped out the little tub too fast for you.

kystou

Original Poster
Thanks all! I've bought one of those critter vacuums and will also try emptying his viv before mealtimes so they have less places to hide :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom