Beardy had surgery - Need advice for aftercare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogonsmom

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am new to the forum and signed up because sometimes google is just not enough.

So let me start by giving some history.

Last week Wednesday the 17th of October I came home from work and Drogon had a prolapse, it didn't want to go back so I rushed him off to the vet. The vet pushed it back in and we went home with him that day. The next day I came to his enclosure and there was blood. Like a LOT of blood. Rushed him to the vet again. The vet examined him and said he will have to cut open his belly to see what is going on.

When the vet opened him belly he saw a TON of blood around his stomach area. He investigated what it could be and saw that he had a hole in his Cloaca which was caused by the vet pushing the prolapse back. He phoned me and said he completed the surgery but they are still waiting for him to wake up. After about 3 hours I phoned them again and they said he was awake and that we can come through.

We took him home that day and since then we have been keeping his enclosure clean, feeding him baby food with a syringe, giving him water with a syringe and of course giving him his meds.

Now my question is is there anything else I am supposed to do? He is already looking much better but I don't want to mess up or make his healing go slower.

Details about Drogon:
He is a rescue.
About 3 years old.
I am not sure how much he weighs at the moment.
Generally in great health.
Feed him mostly Rocket and carrots for veggies, berries as an occasional snack and Dubia roaches, crickets and once a month some super worm.

The enclosure is normally Namibia sand with rocks, at the moment he is on newspaper and some kitchen towels to make it easier to clean his home.

Tank temp: 31 Celsius.

He is currently on Sweet potato baby food.

All advice is appreciated.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
i'd be ropeable about the vet injuring her .
I hope you weren't charged for her major surgery to repair the injuries done by the same vet …. this is not a trivial incident …. i'd be lawyering up ( no nasty phone calls or warnings of impending legal stuff …. else the vet will cover his tracks ).

Concentrate on the dragon for now , the vet can stew til later when your dragon recovers.

no solids until given the nod to go back to solids by a competent vet …. don't want straining to undo the surgery .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry your beardie had such an experience. :( Two things right away.....just offer water daily with a bit of calcium powder added twice a week, no food at all. The baby food squash is a natural laxative and wiul cause him to want to poo. Just water for now so things can heal without him having the urge to poo as the other poster mentioned.

Second, your temp. is too low, you need it about 37C on the hot side, 27C on the cool side. Without proper heat his immune system won't work as well. Best wishes to your poor boy !

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BTW ::: as mentioned 40 degC basking spot, 35 degC warm zone, no cooler than 28 degC cool zone and overnight while healing (keeping beardie warm will help boost both the immune system and the beardie's metabolic rate , and speed healing.

NO MORE SAND for beardie EVER ….they don't live on sand in their natural range (less than 5% is sandy desert) and they are prone to impaction with accidential ingestion of sand on their food.

I suggest getting hold of a bottle CalciVet liquid calcium , and giving this along with liquid vitamins while he's not being fed solids ….
The CalciVet is given orally by measured syringe (is very sweet / pleasant tasting and I've found lizards love it... they think it's a treat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom