Adult Beardie that isn’t used to being held

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisweetpea

Hi everyone! My brother has had a bearded dragon for almost a year and a half now, and he never held him. He finally agreed to give him to me. Since I’ve had him the past 4 weeks. The first two weeks he left me hold him, give him baths without any signs of aggression. But this last week, he will try and bite me when I go into his cage to pick him up. I move slowly, and In front of him so he can see me coming. Yet he has quick little movements with his mouth open and a little hissing. I know he’s not used to being held, but he wasn’t like this in the beginning. I’ll wrap him up like a burrito and lay him on my chest and he will have a black beard for a long long time. I don’t know what happened from the first few weeks I’ve had him till now. Any suggestions please! I’ve heard from a friend of mine that because he is older and not used to being held that he probably won’t get less aggressive? Someone please tell me that’s not true!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
IT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!

Only time and patients will cure this, he will come out of it. Dragons actually crave human interaction (most dragons). Do not push to hard, let him acclimate to your advances, right now he doesn't know what that big thing with the 5 wiggling sticks is and, he is afraid. Yes he was totally ignored (which to me is unforgivable) and, will have to get used to you over time. They are such "cuddle bugs", your brother has missed out on one of the absolute best relationships by doing this. I wish you the best in this great adventure.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Food bribes and treats ….. lots of them , everytime you pet him and pick him up , he will soon learn you are the yummy treat giver …. then half the battle / taming is done.

Lots of patience and just hanging out together and taking things in small steps at his pace and you'll soon have a dragon who will enjoy being with you and spending quality time on you or next to you.

I've worked this kind of magic with lots of dragons and skinks …. they all soon become mega tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom