Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":28qkgew8 said:
kingofnobbys":28qkgew8 said:
HippieLizards":28qkgew8 said:
Congrats on one year with Fluffy! :blob5: My one Year with Daisy is coming up soon (December/January). :D Will be 15 November when Fluffy's been in my care for 1 year. Oh cool, My 1 year with Daisy will be Dec.12th I believe.

How cool that you found Gutzy! :) How has she been doing in the luxury of captive care?
I have sneeking suspicion Gutzy is pregnant …. she's not lean like Fluffy. Well I hope the babies turn out well.

How has Fluffy and The rest of the skink gang thought of her? How do The skinks take to Cohabitation?
some do , like eastern water skinks, she-oaks skinks, whites skinks, sandswimmers, delicate brown garden skinks, Gidgee Skinks, Hosmers Skinks, Cunninghams, Rainbow Skinks …. some species are communal and establish colonies , others pair for life , a few only care for their young for a short while or pair up to breed. Very interesting! It is amazing to see each reptile's different personalities and social orders. :study:

Is it like beardies where they can't stand each other or is it like certain Geckos who can tolerate each other and such? :study:
The bluetongues and Fluffy all knew she was in the house. Kept going and trying to look behind the lounge since about the end of August. Ah, So she already has been at home there Lol.

any Luck on finding a local male EWS yet?
Maybe he'll come inside looking for Gutzy …. otherwise I might have to settle for buying one or waiting for one Gutzy's babies to be old enough if she's pregnant right now. Hmm, Well good luck in finding one.

Good luck on your search though, One last question, How much do they normally range at (price wise)? …. about $50 (babies and juveniles) to $100 (Adults) , see groups of juveniles for $25 each for 3 or more. Interesting.
Unfortunately these smaller skinks are not big enough and rare enough to be of interest to most breeders who prefer the larger hard to find (in the wild) skinks and pink and blue tongues and shingles

That is annoying when you have found your dream animal and nobody cares enough to do them. I Do love basically all reptiles any shape or size, But some people don't really care about the tiny lizards and only care for the huge Herps. :|
Think it's more that they are found in most every suburban yard and garden from Cook Town to Adelaide and as far inland as Mt Isa (anywhere there is a creek in the eastern half of continental Australia) , so people don't think they are worth keeping and captive breeding , and most regard them as too skittish to be a good pet (look don't touch pets (um like gold fish) …. if only they knew how well they tame up and how friendly and smoogy these little guys are when in the right hands …. they might be small but they make up for it with oversized unique personality and smarts.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update : made huge progress with GUTZY today :

Still not keen on being picked up , but soon relaxed and settles on me
4oct2018_first_day_with_GUTZY.png

4oct2018_first_day_with_GUTZY_2.png

and even managed our first snuggle
4oct2018_first_snuggle_with_GUTZY.png

Fluffy is still giving Gutzy the cold shoulder …. took a quick look at her when I placed her on the coffee table next to Gutzy's 10L tub, then spotted the superworm and silkworm tubs and dismissed Gutzy to go and look at the worms. Gutzy is definitely interested in Gutzy , was standing up in the corner watching her, and seemed very interested in proceedings when I was handfeeding Fluffy some nice BSFL (yes I still handfeed Fluffy a few times a week though she takes insects (crickets , beetles, worms and pupae from a feeding dish …. raids it daily).

Never thought I'd manage a snuggle from Gutzy , the trick was to place her on my tummy and lift the front of my T-shirt over her for a few minutes (this seems to work very well in settling hyperactive lizards) , then I allowed her crawl into my left hand and she snuggled into warm area where my arm was resting on my tummy , calmed right down (breathing slowed ==> relaxed) and even managed a 10min nap before I decided that was enough for today and returned her to her 10L hospital tub (she was not amused about this).

Gutzy is not impressed with BSLF , but then Fluffy wasn't either until I started snipping the heads off the worms and squeezing some gutz out and letting Fluffy taste this (she liked the taste of the insides of BSFL).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi -- I'm glad to hear that the water skinks are doing well. Maybe one or the other or both of them will be able to have some healthy babies this year. I remember this time last year when we were hoping against hope that Fluffy's babies would be ok, but it guess it was just too much for her along with recovering from her injuries and growing a new tail. You've done a beautiful job nursing her back to health.

I keep having to remind myself that it's baby-making season on your side of the world. Our weather is due to go south for the winter any day now, but so far, it's been "warmer" (relatively speaking) than usual for this time of year. Our beardie missed mating season this last spring. Apparently had a flare-up with the adenovirus and lost a bunch of weight, but his appetite kicked in before it was too late and probably saved his life. He ate a "ton" of bugs and greens and now that he's back to his "fighting" weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he went hormonal in the middle of the winter like he did the last time he was too sick to be thinking about making little dragons when it was time for it. So I don't know where his biological clock is set now, but it's likely to be off by at least several months. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to be into brumating, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Gutzy is beautiful too. She probably learned from watching Fluffy that you're safe to cuddle with, as well as a good slave for providing food ("Peel me a worm!" :mrgreen: ). But it sounds like Fluffy doesn't want to share her favorite human slave with another lizard.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":2ibiamdw said:
Hi -- I'm glad to hear that the water skinks are doing well. Maybe one or the other or both of them will be able to have some healthy babies this year. I remember this time last year when we were hoping against hope that Fluffy's babies would be ok, but it guess it was just too much for her along with recovering from her injuries and growing a new tail. You've done a beautiful job nursing her back to health.

I keep having to remind myself that it's baby-making season on your side of the world. Our weather is due to go south for the winter any day now, but so far, it's been "warmer" (relatively speaking) than usual for this time of year. Our beardie missed mating season this last spring. Apparently had a flare-up with the adenovirus and lost a bunch of weight, but his appetite kicked in before it was too late and probably saved his life. He ate a "ton" of bugs and greens and now that he's back to his "fighting" weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he went hormonal in the middle of the winter like he did the last time he was too sick to be thinking about making little dragons when it was time for it. So I don't know where his biological clock is set now, but it's likely to be off by at least several months. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to be into brumating, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Gutzy is beautiful too. She probably learned from watching Fluffy that you're safe to cuddle with, as well as a good slave for providing food ("Peel me a worm!" :mrgreen: ). But it sounds like Fluffy doesn't want to share her favorite human slave with another lizard.
\
Gutzy's loose in the house …. more info viewtopic.php?f=26&t=245786 ….
this is fine, she was free to come and go and chose to stay inside with us of her own accord , so regards the interior of the house as "her territory".

My wife reports she saw her sunning herself on the back path yesterday when there was a break in the horrible grey wet weather we've had for the last week and the sun came out for a while (and she hang a load of washing on the Hill's hoist.
Went to pat her but Gutzy "said no".

Not seen her inside since Wednesday, but heard her , and the worms are disappearing (I leave a few out for her each night in a dish on the loungeroom floor near the corner of the modular lounge).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Sunny today (first sunny day all day so far October) …. but very windy and cold (outside) , but warm inside …. Gutzy paid a visit to me about 9pm …. she was right next to me on the lounge (I felt her against my outer left thigh , I thought she was cricket or roach so went to swipe away, then discovered it was Gutzy, she was not amused and leapt off the lounge before I could react).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
3 house skinks now - Gutzy and her boyfriend both here this afternoon ( the boy looks younger , and has a full ORIGINAL ISSUE TAIL = very impressively long cf Fluffy's and Gutzy's regenerated tails), and is broader on the head.

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Gutzy was visiting most of the morning and looks quite a bit plumper now than a few weeks ago.

Her boyfriend has followed her inside and has been checking me out from a safe distance his afternoon. He's a bit shyer than Gutzy , took worms tossed to him but is wary of getting too close. He doesn't seem to know about the fooddish .

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well , about half Fluffy's head size …. the little one is very timid but was studying me and Peppa while I was feeding Peppa …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Fluffy knows there are visiters , she's been standing in the looking at them and headnodding at them.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
CooperDragon":rebfbk23 said:
These stories make me want to up and move to NSW. I want a fleet of skinks too! :D
lol I dunno about that, but I need to now look for local skink breeders now lol.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Gutzy is still very chubby ( quite pregnant ) , she's outside (hanging out about under the bask of the house for the last few days ) .

The juvenile has been visiting every morning and the big boy made a pig of himself yesterday (a feast of mealworms, freshly dead silkworm moths and a few freshly dead crickets) ….

My wife reports she's spotted another heavily pregnant female skink studying her from next to the potplant "berry and herb garden" ....(is overgrown).

I'm sure the local wild skinks are the best fed lizards around as I toss all the dead crickets and used / uneaten lizard food to them ...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like you're going to have a whole houseful of little skinks pretty soon -- and the parents will probably teach the babies that the easiest and safest way to get food is to be cute for the local humans. :blob5: :blob8:

It also sounds like your weather has been very similar to ours for the past month, with the difference being that yours is probably going to get better and ours is probably going to get worse in the next few weeks, but that's ok -- it will be our turn for spring again in 6 months.

Meanwhile, I'm glad our beardie has never been much into brumating -- although on the average, he is a bit more likely to be willing to settle down for an early bedtime cuddle at this time of year. :love5: :sleepy2:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Gutzy is back inside , was hanging about on the top of the lounge and on the corner at lunchtime (hoping for a bugs off me , which she got).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
The boy (Cheakie) is guarding our front patio / pile of building stuff (there) and has been scratching on the outside of our front window and head nodding at us while we looked out at him. I know it's him as he's got a very distinctive scar on his tail that I spotted last time he was visiting inside (a few days ago when I saw him on the top of the lounge).
PA220190-crop--22oct18.jpg

cheakie-boy-looking-in - living up to his name ...

Gutzy is still heavily pregnant and hanging out under our back steps ….
gutzy-22oct18.jpg

They had a feast today …. a couple dozen freshly dead crickets + 10 freshly dead silkworm moths + some mealworms lavae and pupae....

Fluffy having funtime today
PA220196-fluffy.jpg

Spotted a big head peaking out at me from between the old 20L selfwatering flower pots (used to be my herb/berry garden) , so we have a resident bluetongue skink hanging out in our yard …. and it's a big one !
:)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Double post.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":2kklt8pz said:
The boy (Cheakie) is guarding our front patio / pile of building stuff (there) and has been scratching on the outside of our front window and head nodding at us while we looked out at him. I know it's him as he's got a very distinctive scar on his tail that I spotted last time he was visiting inside (a few days ago when I saw him on the top of the lounge).
PA220190-crop--22oct18.jpg

cheakie-boy-looking-in - living up to his name ...

Gutzy is still heavily pregnant and hanging out under our back steps ….
gutzy-22oct18.jpg

They had a feast today …. a couple dozen freshly dead crickets + 10 freshly dead silkworm moths + some mealworms lavae and pupae....

Fluffy having funtime today
PA220196-fluffy.jpg

Spotted a big head peaking out at me from between the old 20L selfwatering flower pots (used to be my herb/berry garden) , so we have a resident bluetongue skink hanging out in our yard …. and it's a big one !
:)
That's great that the skink gang is doing well. :)

How cool that you have a wild BlueTongue skink! I would love to get one of those eventually. ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Back inside , gave my wife a wee surprise this morning …. all she saw was a long tail disappearing under the fridge at brekky …. I heard a plunk behind the lounge yesterday so I knew a skink was back inside.

I've since seen a little head poking out from under the Engal Car Fridge / Freezer ( our "bar" fridge inbetween long road/ camping / fishing / photo holidays ) after lunch when the house was quite and my wife had retired to the study to do her Etsy crafty stuff, and I've discovered the bunch of mealworm lavae and pupae and two dead crickets that were left in a feeding dish on the corner lounge table have vanished since yesterday.

We regularly have visits from wild eastern BTs , jacky dragons, eastern water dragons and have seen a wild eastern bearded dragon sometimes (they are around here and come from the large areas of undeveloped wooded crown land on the other side of the highway (between Bennetts Green and Redhead / Dudley bluffs and beaches) and behind Mt Hutton and the Nth end of Lake Macquarie, and from the remnant of bush between the ByPass and my street. )

The water overflow holes in the bases of the 20L selfwatering pots are perfect size for water skinks and frogs and delicate garden skinks and rainbow skinks to make homes in the void where the water accumulates , and the spaces between overgrown / weedy pots stacked on the old flat slab and the old path that used to go to the original Hill's Hoist make a good place for BTs to hide. My yard is very lizard friendly in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom