Before getting a leopard gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Hi! I already own a baby beardie but I am planing on getting a leopard gecko from a reptile expo (can't adopt due to no reptile rescues/adoptions

Can someone tell me the basic care needs for them? I already know most things, I just need to make sure my information is correct because the Internet loves to lie.

Here are things that I already know:

Leopard geckos are strictly insectivores

Needs UVB

Needs UTH

Doesn't climb

Is solitary

Aren't as cuddly as bearded dragons but are docile once they warm up to you

AREN'T HOUSE GECKOS

They're nocturnal

They can drop their tails

Adult/juvi leopard geckos should be housed in a 15-20Gal enclosure

Needs three hides (one moist, one cold, one hot

No loose substrate

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
They don’t need uvb and they like to climb. You can get by with 2 hides (cool and moist together) but I use 3. UTH is good. You can feed insects every other day. Keep a water bowl in the tank along with a 3:1 calcium to multivitamin bowl. What are your specific questions?

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
QuinnF":2z2obfim said:
They don’t need uvb and they like to climb. You can get by with 2 hides (cool and moist together) but I use 3. UTH is good. You can feed insects every other day. Keep a water bowl in the tank along with a 3:1 calcium to multivitamin bowl. What are your specific questions?

This post is quite old (not really) and I'm no longer getting a Leo since I have a Mexican red knee turantula now :) thank you though! Ill tell my friend who wants a leopard gecko this info.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
QuinnF":224jilsu said:
They don’t need uvb
Actually, If it is not on for too long the Gecko can actually benefit from the UVB. It Would be a bit safer to at least offer some UVB. I recommend a Arcadia tube bulb for them. IMO the UVB is a bit essential.

Just my 2¢. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom