Pumpkin still not eating on his own after a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Maybe good news? So this morning he just was so resistant I only gave him a little of the Emeraid and he refused the milk thistle so only got a little in. When I came home his eyes were receded not totally normal but quasi-normal. Definitely less swollen. The eyes themselves look okay no crust or goop and he sees fine. That’s was never an issue. I put him in his warm bath and he drank pretty well several times. No poop but he seemed relaxed in the bath and no black beard. He pooped yesterday a pretty good one but not so much urate like a thumbnail but good poop. I brought him upstairs and his energy level was remarkable. He was climbing up his little covered step stool, looking out the window and glass surfing when he saw the squirrel back and forth...hopping down and behaving fairly normal...definitely not 100% but a big improvement. We have a vet check tomorrow I had originally scheduled it as euthanisia but changed it so he can evalauate. Perhaps too much of the force feeding and it was causing his gut stress after 6 weeks of it 2X a day ~3ml each time...idk??? Just the fact that his body/gut could rest today maybe was a good thing. Perhaps it is at the point he needs a bath to encourage drinking and hydration and to see if he is ready to eat on his own. If the vet thinks he is on the right track that is our thought...offer finely chopped greens with vitamin supplement daily and see what happens for a few days.

Do his eyes recede in size any during the day, or have they been staying
swollen for extended periods of time?
It may have something to do with his liver causing pressure, but not sure.
Is his beard dark when he goes to sleep at night?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie[/quote][/quote]

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We saw the local reptile vet today. He thought he looked good. Weight good and very active. He pooped while was there and it looked normal. Said liver still felt a little enlarged but eyes normalized well until he started squeezing and checking out the belly. He advised staying on Fortaz and stopping milk thistle. Yes to second dose of Oanacur which will be on 10/10. He suggested cutting g down feedings of Emeraid to once a day and said it was reasonable to let him go a day or two to see if he gets hungry and eats veggies. He said he appeared healthy and active. Let’s hope tomorrow he gets interested in eating.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is really good news to hear that the eyes have gone down!
I personally think that he needs to stay on the milk thistle for his liver
because the liver has regenerative properties. It can be taken for long
term.
The enlargement of his liver should go down, gradually as it heals & the
inflammation decreases.
His increase in activity is a great sign! I do think you should definitely give
him more time. That is a good idea to decrease the Emeraid feedings to
allow his system to clean out more & hopefully have a better appetite.
This is terrific news though, I hope that he continues to improve. He has
been a trooper that is for sure!

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We gave it a few days to see if he would eat voluntarily and not a chance. He does look at the food and if I push him he will eat a few bites julienne butternut pieces and dandelion or a bit of a raspberry but not too cooperative. Going to start Emeraid tomorrow just once a day to get eat some food in there. He does look good, eyes are normal and he is active and seems strong. So perplexing this refusal to eat.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going? I thought I would weigh in on your thread.
Is the benebac working out pretty well? The amount you are giving should be just fine.
The 1/4th teaspoon is good, daily. Are you mixing it with his food/water or just sprinkling it
onto his food?

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Wow i am hopeful Pumpkin is finally turning a corner. He has just finished his Fortaz and the second dose of Panacur was 10/11. He is not yet eating on his own but he has been super active for the last 4 or 5 days in a row. He has been pooping regularly (looks good) and has been active in and out of the tank. He is doing glass surfing as I write this. Boy I haven’t seen him do that since before he was sick! I can’t believe this has been since the beginning of August. He did eat two small pieces of collars dusted with vitamins and bee pollen while we fed him his Emeraid. He has been eating Emeraid mostly on his own as we put it on his nose. At least I am not having to put it in involuntarily. I offer Dubia daily and leave greens in tank in dish and just keep hoping he will want to eat on his own soon. I will trying buying a hornworm this week and see if I can tempt him. If we can continue on a good path I will be sure to do 2X a year fecal without fail.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is awesome Pumpkin is doing so much better! It sounds like he is starting to feel more
normal. Is he done with his meds also? I sure hope so.
It's so nice he is getting his appetite back & that he's eating a little on his own, too. I'm sure
he will start eating normally soon & chasing some insects, too.

Thanks for the update!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom