Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Out of crickets so back to mealworms and BSFL and BSflies until the new bulk order of medium crickets arrive (tomorrow ??).
She finds the worms a bit slippery , goes to bite them and they get away from her beforehand in the round worm escaper proof dish, so I have been snipping the heads off and she takes them off my shirt (chest) or from between my fingertips (handfeeding again and she's fine with that).

New behavior - she was dragging a shred of paper towel around this evening , when I watched closely , she was picking up one corner between her lips and dragging it / taking it with her and napping under it .... that's something I've not seen my skinks do before , I have seen the beardies "tuck themselves in" under there hides , and push paper up to give themselves privacy , especially when juveniles.

She's cleavour little skinky ....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Today is 6 months since my wife found her near death in our back yard and brought her to me.

P7080043.jpg

Took this photo of her ladyship Fluffy the Water Skink a few days ago..... I think she is stunningly beautiful and has a fabulous outgoing personality .

And we have a water skink living behind/under the lounge - seen it a few times on the sunny part of the headrest of the modular over the last few weeks …. middle of winter and she's (I'm presuming she's the one who was inside over summer) …. and my wife has seen her ? outside under the back patio in the mornings ( watching her put the washing on the hills hoist while basking).

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yep, She's very beautiful and she knows it. :) and Happy 6 months! :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
How's Lucky been doing lately? :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":29vobqta said:
How's Lucky been doing lately? :)
Fluffy is doing great , loves her home and even lets my wife pet her and pick her up now. I think she really enjoys her life as a kept skink , and enjoys my spoiling her.
Will be a year soon since we rescued her.

I only hand feed her a couple of times a week, takes her worms and pupae readily and licks my finger tips clean after , rest of the time she raids her well stocked food dish each day , sometimes a few times per day (she paces herself).
She's adopted a routine and most nights beds down under her piece gumtree bark (where she can watch us and the TV).

She now comes when called if she crawls over my shoulder onto my back . She knows her name.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That's awesome! :D Glad to hear she is doing well and enjoying the life of a princess lol. :) Just one question, how can you tell the gender of a skink? Is it like beardies? Just curious.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":1wg52x9j said:
That's awesome! :D Glad to hear she is doing well and enjoying the life of a princess lol. :) Just one question, how can you tell the gender of a skink? Is it like beardies? Just curious.

Because of her head / body shape …. smaller head on females than males.
I've always known she as a girl as I've had a long association with her when she was still fending for herself as a wild (but friendly) skink , and she's been pregnant (and very fat) each November or December for the last 3 or 4 years ( I have been giving her and her tribe and offspring food for years ).
Plus she miscarried when she was still very sick and weak a few weeks after we took her in ( dropped 4 essentially fully developed babies and a couple of slugs (undeveloped fetuses) in her hospital tub) , was ashame she lost them, but it I guess nature took it's course and helped save her by sacrificing them.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Hmm, interesting. :study:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Nearly a year since Fluffy was rescued.

Fluffy will have a friend sharing her tub soon …. I've been on the hunt for a captive bred juvenile male eastern water skink but can't find any breeders locally (nearest are in SE Qld and SA , I don't want to ship the skink).

This afternoon while I was dealing with my latest batch of 1000x medium crickets & 250x BSFL & the feeding the silkworms , I had the 30L plastic archive box sitting on the floor next to the lounge and full of crickets I'd just dumped out the calico bag they came in when I heard a loud plunk , looked down to find and regular visiting resident adult water skink who I never noticed was watching me from the lounge , had leapt off the lounge to get to the crickets.

---- thought we had a wild skink in residence for the last few weeks (as all the rogue crickets have been vanishing and I've not seen any roaches and I'd heard it behind the lounge and seen it taking a peak).
I am sure she is the same skink who has been visiting inside my house for a few years now.

There she was in the tub and chasing crickets , so I took the opportunity to catch her and put her in cricket tub for while I decided if I should make a pet of her , she wasn't overly keen about being grabbed but didn't drop her tail (good sign) and settled in the tub with a feed of 6 crickets and a superworm (which were immediately dispatched killed by being bashed against the side) .

Pretty sure this one is Gutzy , will verify this when I can get some closeups of the left and right sides of her body and head (they all have unique markings) and I'll be able to compare old photos and with new. Yes I am pretty sure this one is a girl , she's a little bigger than Fluffy and in very good condition , and is a sister or daughter or aunti of Fluffy's. She may be pregnant too (explains her very strong appetite).

She's now installed in Fluffy's (Lucky's and Wriggle's) old 10L hospital tub and seems to have settled in OK, enjoying the waterdish and spending a lot of time soaking in her water dish , and is very curious and interested in what we have been doing and was transfixed when I was hand feeding my big beardie Peppa and the when I was giving food treats to the bluetongues George and Mildred.

Thinking finishing off her taming , she's already pretty tame as I have been hand feeding her on the lounge for a few years each summer , she's going to be become a pet because the ***** girl from next door has moved back with her baby (a 22 year old girl child who now has a child of her own and no father around , dropped out of school near the end of yr 11 to go and shack up with her boyfriend who is now out of the picture) and her dammed murderous cat (I don't to risk Gutzy having a deadly encounter) and we've seen YET another cat in our yard too …. (likely hunting grrrr …. I wish i had a rifle so i could shoot it). No lizard or frog or bird corpses yet , but only a matter of time especially now were are moving into spring and breeding season for the native animals.

Put Gutzy on the coffee table In her tub and introduced Fluffy to her this evening , Fluffy looked and then dismissed her (turned around and crawled straight back onto me), Gutzy was on the otherhand very interested in how Fluffy was crawling all over me … they learn by watching (example) , so I am hoping if I do this ever day , Gutzy will become more relaxed about being handled.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Congrats on one year with Fluffy! :blob5: My one Year with Daisy is coming up soon (December/January). :D

How cool that you found Gutzy! :) How has she been doing in the luxury of captive care? How has Fluffy and The rest of the skink gang thought of her? How do The skinks take to Cohabitation? Is it like beardies where they can't stand each other or is it like certain Geckos who can tolerate each other and such? :study:

any Luck on finding a local male EWS yet? Good luck on your search though, One last question, How much do they normally range at (price wise)?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":2k5ef2ni said:
Congrats on one year with Fluffy! :blob5: My one Year with Daisy is coming up soon (December/January). :D Will be 15 November when Fluffy's been in my care for 1 year.

How cool that you found Gutzy! :) How has she been doing in the luxury of captive care?
I have sneeking suspicion Gutzy is pregnant …. she's not lean like Fluffy.

How has Fluffy and The rest of the skink gang thought of her? How do The skinks take to Cohabitation?
some do , like eastern water skinks, she-oaks skinks, whites skinks, sandswimmers, delicate brown garden skinks, Gidgee Skinks, Hosmers Skinks, Cunninghams, Rainbow Skinks …. some species are communal and establish colonies , others pair for life , a few only care for their young for a short while or pair up to breed.

Is it like beardies where they can't stand each other or is it like certain Geckos who can tolerate each other and such? :study:
The bluetongues and Fluffy all knew she was in the house. Kept going and trying to look behind the lounge since about the end of August.

any Luck on finding a local male EWS yet?
Maybe he'll come inside looking for Gutzy …. otherwise I might have to settle for buying one or waiting for one Gutzy's babies to be old enough if she's pregnant right now.

Good luck on your search though, One last question, How much do they normally range at (price wise)? …. about $50 (babies and juveniles) to $100 (Adults) , see groups of juveniles for $25 each for 3 or more.
Unfortunately these smaller skinks are not big enough and rare enough to be of interest to most breeders who prefer the larger hard to find (in the wild) skinks and pink and blue tongues and shingles

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Apparently the news of free a meal is getting out, lol!!!
Won't be long and, you're gonna be over run!!! You da'man!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Gormagon":1pb67uhc said:
Apparently the news of free a meal is getting out, lol!!!
Won't be long and, you're gonna be over run!!! You da'man!!!

Wont be the first time …. did I tell you the story of me sitting on the footpath at the back of my house near my back steps from the patio with a tub of mealworms and some left over beardie and BTS food and how I was "mugged" by the little guys , had about dozen water skinks and some delicate garden skinks all under my crossed legs , crawling over my legs and feet and all begging for the food they saw I had in the tub , and they all took turns taking a worm or other food item either from my fingers or off the ground just inches from me.
This was before the people next door got a cat …. when I had loads of frogs, geckos, skinks , even some water dragons and jacky dragons and wild native birds visiting everyday.

Had up to 4 wild skinks inside at one time (was very funny watching them investigate the fake xmas tree and the pile of wrapped presents on the ground under it , and funny watching the female (Lizzy - that's another story) "playing" nose bumps with a shiny plastic very reflector ballble for about 30 minutes.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":s0nic4w0 said:
HippieLizards":s0nic4w0 said:
Congrats on one year with Fluffy! :blob5: My one Year with Daisy is coming up soon (December/January). :D Will be 15 November when Fluffy's been in my care for 1 year. Oh cool, My 1 year with Daisy will be Dec.12th I believe.

How cool that you found Gutzy! :) How has she been doing in the luxury of captive care?
I have sneeking suspicion Gutzy is pregnant …. she's not lean like Fluffy. Well I hope the babies turn out well.

How has Fluffy and The rest of the skink gang thought of her? How do The skinks take to Cohabitation?
some do , like eastern water skinks, she-oaks skinks, whites skinks, sandswimmers, delicate brown garden skinks, Gidgee Skinks, Hosmers Skinks, Cunninghams, Rainbow Skinks …. some species are communal and establish colonies , others pair for life , a few only care for their young for a short while or pair up to breed. Very interesting! It is amazing to see each reptile's different personalities and social orders. :study:

Is it like beardies where they can't stand each other or is it like certain Geckos who can tolerate each other and such? :study:
The bluetongues and Fluffy all knew she was in the house. Kept going and trying to look behind the lounge since about the end of August. Ah, So she already has been at home there Lol.

any Luck on finding a local male EWS yet?
Maybe he'll come inside looking for Gutzy …. otherwise I might have to settle for buying one or waiting for one Gutzy's babies to be old enough if she's pregnant right now. Hmm, Well good luck in finding one.

Good luck on your search though, One last question, How much do they normally range at (price wise)? …. about $50 (babies and juveniles) to $100 (Adults) , see groups of juveniles for $25 each for 3 or more. Interesting.
Unfortunately these smaller skinks are not big enough and rare enough to be of interest to most breeders who prefer the larger hard to find (in the wild) skinks and pink and blue tongues and shingles

That is annoying when you have found your dream animal and nobody cares enough to do them. I Do love basically all reptiles any shape or size, But some people don't really care about the tiny lizards and only care for the huge Herps. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom