6 mo old beardie issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I give Hiccup vitamins 2 times / week - and calcium 5 times / week-- well as much as I can- its hard to give him that when hes not eating his dubias like he should - but that was the schedule before he went on this semi brumation thing- he hasnt even came out of his hide/ rock today- hes awake just laying in there- Hiccup is not shedding at this moment- he is around 17 1/2 inches long last I measured and that has been awhile - when he was at vet he was at 8.5 oz-- not sure what that is in grams-- I need to weigh him again and measure him to see where he is at -- also to make sure hes not losing weight--

Karrie

swimchicidee

Original Poster
Mine was 8.4oz last night and it's about 238 grams and he is 16 in. Mine is quite a piggy though and was eating like 40-50 crickets a day, and a bowl full of veggies. He gets a strawberry, four blueberries or a chunk of apple once a week as a treat to go with his dark greens or squash (peppers, celery typically). I do all greens every other day and put water at the bottom of the dish to offer hydration and keep the leaves fresher. The other days when I have other stuff in the bowl I won't do water. You should get sepia bones. You just put it in their cage and they can nibble on them when they aren't getting enough calcium, and you should coat all insects in calcium/vit D everyday. It is what helps prevent them from getting a degenerative bone disease called MBD. Certain foods can actually make it hard for them to absorb the calcium too so you have to watch what you give them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes hes getting the vitamins and calcium every day that he will eat the dubias- he eats the nutri grubs which are high in calcium- he came out here today around 2 and I fed him his greens which were washed so they were wet when he ate them today I was happy to see that he was eating them along w/ the nutri grubs and the butter worms -- he ate those first then went for the veggies - mustard and collards mixed - I have heard Kale is not good for them all the time- so I havent fed him Kale at all -- I have never heard of sepia bones -- where do I find those at - I was giving Trodgor Little Bites - they look like meat-- ham chunks - I got those at Petco- have not fed those to Hiccup-- and Trogdors favorite was sweet potato- used to cook it in mic and give her that daily- she would eat a small sweet potato in a week or a little longer - sometimes potato would go bad before she ate it all so I would just throw it out and get another one--Hiccup likes raspberries - not so much blueberries --

Karrie

swimchicidee

Original Poster
I ordered mine from Amazon, but I spotted them with the bird stuff the other day when I was at my local Petsmart. I learned about them on a site of a guy dedicated to bd's. I always cross reference before I believe something. They are really light weight, white, and kinda remind me of little surfboards. I have read that about kale too. My bd is a glutton and loves the heck out of bok choy, which I mix with another green typically. I need to start experimenting with more insects now that he's older, see what he likes and dislikes. We've been rolling with mainly crickets, and a few super worms a few days a week. I have bought waxies once, he ate them but not like the super worms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup loves horn worms - Fins and Friends gets them in but they dont have them all the time- I order all my stuff the super worms, horn worms, butter worms nutri grubs and dubias from dubiaroaches.com- they are out of Kansas and are quick- i have not tried the wax worms- all the stuff I order is easy to keep - they can be kept in the containers they come in - I hate crickets and wont go back to them unless absolutely necessary-- they are a pain to keep and they stink!! plus they give parasites-- and pinworms- the dubias are a better staple-- in my opinion-- and Hiccup seems to like the dubias better so .............. he is basking on his rock today and I fed him again and he ate about 7-8 dubias - w/ vitamins so we are good -- guess he was hungry! He has eaten a variety of things today-- :)
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom