Something is wrong with Kozmo :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KozmoRox

We left Kozmo with a friend when we went on vacation last week(7 days). When we got back yesterday and picked her up, she wasn’t herself. She’s opening her mouth a lot for short periods of time. Her head seems to twitch at random times. She seems weak and her dexterity is not good. She has trouble walking, she wobbles and her coordination isn’t good. She struggles to walk and her arms seem like she cannot move them like normal. She was trying to climb up a step and flipped onto her back. Her beard and tip of tail is dark when we have her out of her viv, but not as dark when she’s resting inside. She’s always been a lively and active beards. It’s so sad ?

She’s 2 years old now and has never had a black beard, ever. Her poop was solid yesterday. Hoping this is not ADV virus. Took this picture this morning.
89207-1174541731.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really sorry to hear this. :( Were the people watching her beardie owners ? Did they have children in the house that might have dropped her or done something to her ? Those would be my first thoughts if she was totally healthy before you left her there.

KozmoRox

Original Poster
She is not a beardie owner but has watched her before when we have been away. She has grown children out of the house. She said she only held her in the evening to cuddle. She ate every day but did not poop. She did notice she was more inactive than before. Other than that, she didn’t recognize any other problems.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It could be ADV. One of the mods here [ Tracie, username Drache613 ] works with the lab that tests for ADV at a very low cost. P.M. her if you want to test Kozmo. I'm so sorry for whatever is happening to your big girl. :(

Can you get any water in her ? She looks dehydrated.

KozmoRox

Original Poster
We’ve been giving her water throughout the day as she has had her mouth open a lot more than normal. And she’s puffing out her throat/beard area when she swallows her water.
89207-4406390339.jpg
89207-911218860.jpg

KozmoRox

Original Poster
@drache613 Tracie, I tried to PM you but kept receiving an error message. We joined and sent an message to your website. Hopefully you'll receive that too. I appreciate any advice you have!!

Hi. I don’t know how Kozmo normally looks, but her eyes look like she does not feel good to me.
I lost my 3 year old beardie girl almost a year ago. I would recommend that you take your girl to an exotic vet to have her checked. Stress of any kind can do a lot of damage to our babies. The black beard, if no apparent reason or not normal for her, is not good. Not pooping is also not good. Have you been giving her warm soaks?
Does she like fruit? When my dragons eat strawberries and grapes their poop is softer. I also only give small, soft crickets and Dubais if they miss a day of pooping.
I am so sorry. I know how scary it can be when we don’t know what is wrong.?

KozmoRox

Original Poster
I'm taking her to vet tomorrow, she seems to have had a stroke. Thats the only way I can explain her symptoms. She's pooped today and it was normal with the addition of clear fluid since I gave her plenty of water by dropper yesterday. I looked up "ocotillo vet" and it seems to be a place in Arizona. We live in Georgia. The vet I'm using sees reptiles, so hopefully it will go well. After talking to him by phone today, he doesn't think it's ADV. But I still think I'd like to have her tested by Tracie.

That is good. Traci definitely sounds like she knows what she is talking about.
Please let everyone know what you find out at the vet;)

KozmoRox

Original Poster
We just returned from the vet. He says she looks healthy overall, no infection, no mbd, good muscle mass. He thinks she's very weak from lack of calorie/nutrients. She may have parasites so he gave her a dose of metronidazole 25mg and will have results on fecal tomorrow. He didn't feel the need to run blood tests just yet. Sent us home with Critical Care supplement. He feels she'll turn around quickly. Still going to have her ADV fecal test done with Tracie, just in case.

As some of you may know, we have a son who has been fighting cancer and I haven't been on top of things as I should. I forgot to change out her Reptisun 10.0, it's been about a year, I figured she gets a lot of natural sunlight. And, I feel bad because I don't make her eat her greens/veg all the time. She usually leaves them to dry out and then I feed her protein. So her diet needs to change. I also need to feed her bugs better... I hate that I may have caused this. We're praying for improvement!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she will be OK. Hopefully the fecal test comes back clear and the metronidazole isn't too hard on her. If she continues to act oddly then a blood test might not be a bad idea so you can get a look at how her internal systems are running.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I owe you another email but I do think that the vet should have done a blood test.
I am wondering if she may be having kidney issues. I don't know if it's the pictures or not, but
does she look a bit puffy in her thighs & front arms?
Is she a leatherback?
What is the dose of the metronidazole for her?
I will check back later this evening.
Is her beard still darker than normal today also?

Tracie

KozmoRox

Original Poster
Drache613":1ojo483g said:
Hello,

I owe you another email but I do think that the vet should have done a blood test.
I am wondering if she may be having kidney issues. I don't know if it's the pictures or not, but
Is she a leatherback?

Tracie

We didn't talk about kidneys, but he felt her legs and muscles and commented that she had great muscle mass. He also said that her joints look & feel good. It's funny because we've always called her Popeye because of her bigger arms and legs.

She is a leatherback. We talked about how she's wrinkly on her sides. She's always been a leaner beardie. I used to worry about it, but now that she's grown she's a good size and weight.

She had a one time dose of the metronidazole today of 25mg. Pending test results for further meds.

When she's in her viv nice & warm, her beard is not very dark, if at all. Only when I pull her out and try to get her to walk for me, and now force feeding the Critical Care & Water. I'm giving her 5cc's of the slurry 2x day until she'll take 10cc at once.

She's not a drinker naturally, never drank her water in tank and never drank from her bath. I always had to supplement with the dropper. Although, her urate were never too hard or chalky.

We're hoping this treatment starts working for her soon!

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
I hope Kozmo feels better soon. The hard part with reptiles either way is their metabolisms are so slow and it takes a while for them to respond. Hoping the critical care helps. Will he drink in the bath. The hydration definitely helps and I find a gentle underbelly massage from chest down to the vent for 2-3 minutes helps them poop. Maybe you can tempt him with a blueberry or a little bit of strawberry in the greens. I’m sure you have a lot on your plate with your son. Hoping he is doing okay I have been there with my mom and i know it is very stressful.
KozmoRox":2sgw8yg4 said:
Drache613":2sgw8yg4 said:
Hello,

Is she a leatherback?

Tracie

We didn't talk about kidneys, but he felt her legs and muscles and commented that she had great muscle mass. He also said that her joints look & feel good. It's funny because we've always called her Popeye because of her bigger arms and legs.

She is a leatherback. We talked about how she's wrinkly on her sides. She's always been a leaner beardie. I used to worry about it, but now that she's grown she's a good size and weight.

She had a one time dose of the metronidazole today of 25mg. Pending test results for further meds.

When she's in her viv nice & warm, her beard is not very dark, if at all. Only when I pull her out and try to get her to walk for me, and now force feeding the Critical Care & Water. I'm giving her 5cc's of the slurry 2x day until she'll take 10cc at once.

She's not a drinker naturally, never drank her water in tank and never drank from her bath. I always had to supplement with the dropper. Although, her urate were never too hard or chalky.

We're hoping this treatment starts working for her soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom