3 Month Old Beardie Overfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Beardie 12 days ago and have been keeping track of every move she makes taking notes..... 2 days ago I switched her from little phoenix worms to 1inch superworms. She ate 35 of them in total the prior 2 days. She finally pooped this morning but has refused food/greens last night and today. Am I being paranoid or is it possible I just overfed her and shes taking a day off? Im just being cautious because she is 3 months 3 days old. All the temperatures and humidity are good and she has been great up until this point, I might be overthinking but figured I ask, Thank You In Advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes it's very likely because superworms are much harder to digest. I's good that he poo'd but don't be surprised if he vomits tomorrow. He may be just fine though, but avoid the superworms, you're much better off with crickets, dubia roaches and silkworms. Superworms are O.K for larger dragons but nt in the same amount as the other insects.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Cut out the supers for now : just keep them in a (ventilated = holes drill in the lid of ) a cliklatch lidded 4L plastic food tub on wheat and or oat bran with some chunks of carrot they'll last for months without pupating.

If your dragon likes worms , can't go past medium sized (up to 1.5-2" long) silkworms as one of his staples (perhaps one meal of silkworms per day) and the bugs for the other meal/s.

reppintilians

Original Poster
Yea I feel like I keep getting wrong information from these so called "experts," I shouldve just kept to what I was doing. I'll keep her on phoenix worms until she gets much older, then possibly switch over to crickets/roaches. I live in FL so dubias are out of the question. Life of a newbie beardie owner lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
reppintilians":1dzl1e34 said:
Yea I feel like I keep getting wrong information from these so called "experts," I shouldve just kept to what I was doing. I'll keep her on phoenix worms until she gets much older, then possibly switch over to crickets/roaches. I live in FL so dubias are out of the question. Life of a newbie beardie owner lol

Which experts ?

Ive been doing the superworms for my beardie for months with no impaction. Id have switched to dubia but they are having grain mite issues... so heres what id do and the breeder agreed this should be fine. Just feed the small ones. As the superworms grow feed the smallest ones off. If the worms are bigger wait until they molt and if they are fresh white and molted then they should be ok even if they are a bit big. If you have a thousand worms youll probably end up with about 10 a day and now my beardies 13 inches and my method for feeding has changed, how i basically hold the tongs high enough for him to have to jump and i change where the tongs are. I feed him until he is no longer willing to jump or run to get them. It seems with additional excersize they are able to digest better, that being said if he hasnt pooped in a day i take mine out and let him run around. After i do that he usually goes easy. However mines pretty polite and wont poop anywhere outside his tank. Not in the bath or carpet or anything... also dont feed him on loose substrate. Period. I have a bioactive substrate and i still put in a feeding plank in to avoid it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In my opinion I would switch to dubias they are less hassle and way more nutritious-- and they dont give parasites / pin worms--- and they are easier to keep in a 10 gallon tank -
Karrie

Im not used to forums like this. Havent been on one since i was a kid so sorry, however since i have an ear.... I know dubia are technically easier. But my tub ended up with a grain mite infestation. I have since moved them into a bio active enclosure, and the grain mites along with them. Here in washington humidity control can be difficult, with super worms tou just swap the bran for $2 every couple of weeks. However having colonies are different that having the bugs

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh I knew it was just an accident no harm no foul! :) it just gets confusing sometimes.

The only way I know to deal with a mite infestation in a bug colony is lower the humidity. But luckily for me, I dont have much experience with mite infestations lol *knock on wood*

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom