Axel- coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axelrose

Hey everyone!

Axel’s Fecal came back positive for Coccidia. :(
My vet has prescribed ponazuril for him that I can’t grt till next week sometime due to a forest fire blocking the road to my vet. (I live in rural Wyoming so a good vet is hard to come by.) my question is how do I handle it till then and after. Cleaning methods, recommendations, everything. My goal is to keep him as healthy and parasite free from now on as I can. I also read that a low count is okay... but won’t that turn into a high count eventually?

Thanks!

Axelrose

Original Poster
I have his lab results as well I just don’t know how to post them. His Coccidia count is the same as it was from when he was 2 months. My normal vet is out of the country so I saw his associate. She is very nice and forward with not treating exotics typically. She’s been contacting people and doing as much research as she could which led her to treating it with ponazuril. I’m beginning to believe my normal vet didn’t treat the Coccidia because it was low and after reading his chart there was no treatment done except for ones for his other two parasites. Pin worms (Panacur) and another one I’m not familiar with. He was very little (18 grams) and had a URI at the same time so it was very scary and a lot to take in. My mom also had to take him because it is a two hour drive and I was at work when I decided something was up. Thanks in advance I just want to provide him with the best care possible. Also, I’ve read that when they are on anti-parasitic meds to give them probiotics. I have acidophilus that I take myself but I don’t know if that’s what you guys were talking about or not. Sorry for such long posts, I just want to do this right.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, did the vet say what the count is ? Is Axel eating pretty well , also how long will he be on Ponazurl ? It usually works in just 2-3 doses and is not harsh on them so Axel should be just fine. Try not to worry too much !

Axelrose

Original Poster
AHBD":2r4m9rz6 said:
Hi there, did the vet say what the count is ? Is Axel eating pretty well , also how long will he be on Ponazurl ? It usually works in just 2-3 doses and is not harsh on them so Axel should be just fine. Try not to worry too much !

Thank you for your response AHBD,
He has never had trouble eating, (besides when he was sick) his poop has always been decently solid, yesterday it wasn’t at all though. It was like a pile instead of shaped, he also ate almost all his veggies though so I don’t know if that affected it. Always well hydrated, good white urates and everything. His fecal result was 2+ isopora oocysts, it says Coccidia having 2 sporocysts (genus isospora) are present. It’s 2 doses 48 hours apart and then a repeat dose in two weeks. That sounds about right?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that sounds good. Some vets won't treat unless it's over 3+ but the Ponazuril is not harsh so it should all work out fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom