And now the crickets live outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. This is more of a funny story, not exactly a beardie tale. So this morning, I woke up, got out of bed, and walked into the hallway, which is where we keep the crickets so they're nearby. Except instead of on the shelf where the Kricket Keeper is supposed to be, it's on the floor. With a few choice words, I go over to investigate. So you know the four black tubes that go with the Kricket Keepers so that the crickets will hide inside? The ones with the little clear plastic tops? Okay, so I discovered that three of the four tops were missing and two of the places where the tubes go into the Keeper were WIDE open. So I picked the box up, caught two crickets that were hiding under and nearby it, and took it outside to the porch. I asked my sister to hold the last tube with crickets in it so they couldn't get out. I went about cleaning the dead crickets out and re-feeding them and soaking their little sponge. I'm inside by the sink when my sister runs in, saying, "I dropped the tube!"
And so, about twenty crickets were running wild on our porch. We caught (I think) most of them, and put them back in the Kricket Keeper. (At this point, I'm getting pretty good at catching them).
Fast forward an hour, and I'm upstairs doing laundry with my whole family. And we find a cricket.
Then another.
And another.
So after a while it becomes a sort of joke. My dad thinks it's hilarious, my mom not so much. Every time a cricket appears, we say "Cricket!" catch it, then throw it into Ozzi (my beardie)'s tank. He's having a blast. Anyways, I expect we'll be finding crickets for a very long time. By the end of the day, I'll be a cricket-catching pro. Hope everyone else has a much less frustrating day!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ugh that is frustrating, especially with small crickets! I hope you are able to catch most of them eventually. If they are warm they may start chirping which may help you locate them but also may become very annoying. Probably best to have a more secure container for them going forward. I've had good luck using a 20g tank with a mesh top or a big rubbermaid bin with the top cut off and replaced with mesh along the center of the lid for ventilation.

M0rk

I like catching crickets for feeding. (The ones in my tubs not wild ones) The small ones are super easy to hold with just two fingers.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Been there done that …. even dropped a dusting tub full of crickets a few times.... little buggers disappear under the furniture fast too. My worse mass escape was about 40 crickets . I regularly have 2 or 3 escapees when feeding my pet skinks & dragons.

Invariable they start showing up overnight when the lighting is not so bright and that's when you can recatch the majority of the rogue crickets.
We don't use any surface sprays or flysprays or roach baits in this house so our rogue crickets OK to recover and use as feeders.
+ we have resident wild water skinks that take up residence in the living area and bathroom , kitchen and bathroom , and often visit the bedrooms , who are very well fed …. if it's summer here, they make fast work of all the insects that come inside , spiders too, and any rogue crickets.

I find a 30L plastic archiving tube perfect for keeping my crickets in and when sorting my "monthly" bulk order of crickets into Piscus cricket tubs (100 per tub) .

budzoboy

Years ago, when we had my son's Dragon, Dex, I bought a box of a thousand online.
well, pinnacle of intelligence here, opened the box on the kitchen floor. Needless to say,
it was like a wave or crickets all over. I was able to capture about 99% of the ones that escaped.

swore NEVER do that again!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
aw man that sucks. Once I was trying to open an order of a thousand dubias, when the whole container tipped over and hundreds of little cockroaches were running all over :shock: My mother wasn't the most appreciative lol :lol:

YesIJustGotADragon

Original Poster
Oh geez that'd be a nightmare. My mom hardly likes the crickets in the sun room, and roaches escaping into the house? She'd probably move out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom