Baby Beardie Only Eats Critical Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keko

Hello I’m new to this forum and a new beardie owner. My little guy is about 2 months old, I’ve had him for 3 weeks and it has been a struggle from the start. He refuses to eat. He now gets critical care every day which he likes but refuses to eat anything else. This was started with his hunger strike of 5 days. I’ve tried feeding him small crickets, big crickets, worms of all sorts. Changed containers I was feeding him in. Force fed him some(vet suggestion) hoping he would decide he liked them this was after going on a hunger strike for 5 days straight. Tried hand feeding. Leaving worms in his terrarium. Squishing worms and putting on his nose. Nothing.
Here is how I’ve been caring for him:
55 gallon terrarium, Front opening,Top is a screen
Daytime lights: Repti basking light and Meg Ray Mercury Vapour 160 watt
Nighttime light: red heat light but I think I will switch to ceramic
Basking Temp ranges from 95-110 he has lots of places he can go
Warm ambient temp ranges 85 up to 100
Cool Ambient Temp ranges from 77-85 again lots of places he can go
Veggie Diet: fresh greens of all sorts available all day never eats them
Protein: crickets, Phoenix worms, wax worms, butter worms, horn worms
Calcium when I can get it in him, he has no signs of low calcium.

Oh he was also tested and treated for parasites

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry you are having trouble with your baby.
Which medication was he on & is he finished with medications?
Your setup sounds fine, but can we see pictures of the light placements?
Which type of thermometer are you using, a digital probe or a temp gun?
Sometimes after medications, it takes them awhile to regain their appetites.
Be sure to only offer crickets that are smaller than the space between his eyes, to avoid
impaction. The critical care is fine to feed for now, but definitely do your best to get him
onto solid food. Have you tried giving bee pollen or probiotics to help boost his appetite?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keko":o913inps said:
Hello I’m new to this forum and a new beardie owner. My little guy is about 2 months old, I’ve had him for 3 weeks and it has been a struggle from the start. He refuses to eat. He now gets critical care every day which he likes but refuses to eat anything else. This was started with his hunger strike of 5 days. I’ve tried feeding him small crickets, big crickets, worms of all sorts. Changed containers I was feeding him in. Force fed him some(vet suggestion) hoping he would decide he liked them this was after going on a hunger strike for 5 days straight. Tried hand feeding. Leaving worms in his terrarium. Squishing worms and putting on his nose. Nothing.
Here is how I’ve been caring for him:
55 gallon terrarium, Front opening,Top is a screen
Daytime lights: Repti basking light and Meg Ray Mercury Vapour 160 watt
Nighttime light: red heat light but I think I will switch to ceramic
Basking Temp ranges from 95-110 he has lots of places he can go
Warm ambient temp ranges 85 up to 100
Cool Ambient Temp ranges from 77-85 again lots of places he can go
Veggie Diet: fresh greens of all sorts available all day never eats them <<<< offer but don't be too worried if your 2 month old hatchling/juvenile shows no interest in the greens. Better off giving these to the crickets to gutload them.

Protein: crickets, Phoenix worms, wax worms, butter worms, horn worms
<<<< reserve the wax and butter worms for treats only . I'd swap over from hornworms to silkworms which are more nutritious by a long shot.
<<<< offer at least 2 meals per day of live insects …. it may be necessary in your situation to handfeed the little dragon for now. This way you will know it's getting the calcium and protein and fats (needed to mobilise the vitamins & minerals) it needs.

Calcium when I can get it in him, he has no signs of low calcium.
<<< consider buying a bottle of VetaFarm CalciVet and giving this daily orally by feeding syringe.

Oh he was also tested and treated for parasites

Keko

Original Poster
Sorry I’ve never been on a forum before. How do I post a picture. Trying to figure it out but thought asking might be quicker

Keko

Original Poster
Baycox was the medication finished on Sept 19.
Digital thermometer probe
Yes I’m making sure the crickets are small enough
I have not tried bee pollen or probiotics. How do I do that? He only weighs about 18grams.

Also I know most worms are just treats but I was trying to see if I could coax him to eat anything at all. I’ve tried feeding with tweezers, out of my palm, off my fingers, off rocks, dishes, out of his terrarium, in his terrarium etc. I don’t feed crickets in his terrarium though.

Greens I know they aren’t a big deal now. Just leaving them in there so he eat them if he wants.

Calcium I can’t dust anything because he’s not eating anything unless i force feed him.

Any ideas that i haven’t tried to get him on solid food??

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keko":28yg9jgx said:
Baycox was the medication finished on Sept 19.
Digital thermometer probe
Yes I’m making sure the crickets are small enough
I have not tried bee pollen or probiotics. How do I do that? He only weighs about 18grams.

Also I know most worms are just treats but I was trying to see if I could coax him to eat anything at all. I’ve tried feeding with tweezers, out of my palm, off my fingers, off rocks, dishes, out of his terrarium, in his terrarium etc. I don’t feed crickets in his terrarium though.

Greens I know they aren’t a big deal now. Just leaving them in there so he eat them if he wants.

Calcium I can’t dust anything because he’s not eating anything unless i force feed him.

<<<< enough vitamin and or calcium powder stays on the insects to be beneficial even when handfeeding/force feeding, You don't need the insects to be caked in powder, just enough so if they are dropped on the table the leave a dust print.

Any ideas that i haven’t tried to get him on solid food??

A small droplet on honey on the end of the insect will get a good feeding response., I've done this with very sick rescues to get them to take HerpaBoost or CrittaCare Reptile from a syringe.

Getting a guaranteed dose of calcium into a poor feeder, you can use VetaFarm CalciVet liquid calcium hand give a small dose each day orally by syringe : this kind of kit will make this easier to do :
Best to stay with 22G for fluids, is more durable than the larger bore version where the lizard has teeth.

Edit : be careful the dragon doesn't chew pieces of plastic of the end of the plastic tube. I found the 14G tube very soft and too easily crushed and holed.

I've had success using this
syringe_and_22_G_SUREFLO_CATHETER_TUBE_ONLY.png

to get nasty tasting antbiotics and nice tasting CalciVet into skinks , the trick is to get the plastic tube past the lips and teeth at the back corner of the mouth , not necessary force the mouth open but is a two person job
one person restrains the lizard
the other person slips the catheter tube into mouth and pushes the syringe plunger.

I've also used this kind of setup
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

to get HerpaBoost , VetaFarm Reptile Critta Care and viscous liquid meds into the mouths of lizards, got to get the mouth enough to get the nozzle into the mouth , again a two person job unless the lizard is prepared to lick the paste off it's nose and lips , works well

and for really difficult situations this works and is indestructible and wont hurt the lizard's teeth, gums , jaws or mouth
syringe_and_18_G_medication_-_crop_needle.png

Keko

Original Poster
Thank you I will try the honey. Yes I already have a syringe from the vet for feeding the critical care so we are good there. He usually just licks it off the end of the syringe.

Is it possible to dissolve Repashi calcium Plus in liquid and give it with the syringe. Obviously in miniscual amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom