Still brumation or health problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushe

Hi, so I’m an owner of a female bearded dragon her name is papua ( 1year and 1 month old), and I’ve been worried about long time ago... right now I’m not in my country but my father is taking care of her. She won’t poop like about a month, I could make her poop when I was home but it was the same story. Extremely difficult to make her poop, I only could do it with baths.. when I was home I decided to go to a vet before going in Erasmus and the vet said she was really fine and really healthy.. she could be brumating and soon she could left some eggs because the calcium levels were extremely high.. but nothing happened! I was afraid about impaction but the vet said she didn’t have nothing.( I have a X-ray if you want to check) So since I left she doesn’t poop about a month and she does not really eat much, she is always in the cold side of the terrarium inside her cave. She is like this since April ( I did one post in that month about her brumation).. I’m just worried and I need help, is there anyway with for example liquid food in a syringe that could make her poop? Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, if she's been doing this since April and is only 13 months old there is another problem. She would have been too young to brumate in April and 6 months is too long even for an adult dragon.

hat type + brand of lights do you use ? That is very important because it affects the energy levels and every aspect of their life. Also, what does she eat ?

To help her poo, try baby food squash, sweet potato, green beans and applesauce. If you can't find baby food like that in your country, just mash those veggie's up and add water. Then add a bit of olive oil or raw honey. Those things usually work, along with a warm 10 minute bath.

Sushe

Original Poster
So in the cold side of the terrarium I use only a 100watts CHE(I only use it at night to give some warm temperature and in the cold days only) and in the hot side I use solar glo 125 watts exo terra. The terrarium is almost 1.5m x 0.50m x 0.50m so I bought a t8 linear bulb from Arcadia it is the euro range 10.0uvb (about 80cm long in the middle of the terrarium, I read that this type of bulb should be 2/3 the size of the terrarium).
About the solar glo bulb I think I need to replace it but I read that the basking spot light doesn’t necessarily need to provide uvb only heat, is that right?
Thanks a lot!

Some photos that I took before leave my country, actually this is not really updated... I made a wooden dig box with sand that she could probably leave her eggs there if she needed
94419-8385030287.jpg
94419-4992708401.jpg

Sushe

Original Poster
So I managed to find some recent photos in her album and I hope you can understand how my terrarium is set...

94419-2169429972.jpg
94419-3983470486.jpg

I will ask for a better photo from the front view covering all the terrarium..

94419-2523638089.jpg
This photo was in the last days I was home too, before I completed the dig box I gave her this so she could have some fun and she had it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well she really does look large + healthy, no need to worry about weight loss at all :) . I'm thinking that she may feel too hot in there and/or the Solar glo is bothering her eyes. That would cause her to hide, seeking the shade , which would seem like brumation to you.

What are the temperature throughout the tank and how are you measuring them ?

Sushe

Original Poster
Oh! I’m really happy to hear that! To measure the temperatures I use a digital thermometer hygrometer and in the cold side is were the device is placed and have a sensor in the hot side too.. then I have a analog thermometer in the center to “see” the gradient.

94419-7408121549.jpg
94419-9617760172.jpg
94419-1169464286.jpg
94419-60177949.jpg

The temperatures now are a bit low because my father took papua to outside so she could get some sunbath, now in Portugal it is really good (33ºC +-). But the temperatures on the cold side are usually at 28-32ºC and on the hot side (around the basking spot) 38º-40º. I don't know if its less than it should be but the basking spot bulb is really strong so i decided to take the 125W and not the 160W.

Is it good ideia to have a digging box in the basking spot? She doesn’t eat there, never.. that’s why I tought it would be nice with some branches and she could be on top of them or hide under them..

Thanks a lot! Really..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, what a face. :) The set up looks great, only thing I'd change is the solar glo MVB, it is too close and probably she feels a burn if she's directly under. Your next bulb can just be a good halogen white flood bulb.

And what temperatures are you getting right now on the hot side ? Can you measure it under the Solar glo and also about 6-8 inches away ?

Sushe

Original Poster
I will tell you tomorrow, now it is already 10pm so the lights are off. I have a Temp Gun, I will ask for the temps and post them tomorrow. Probably you are right because if I put her under the bulb after 5min. she goes away and will be some cm's/inches away from the basking spot.

About the halogen white flood bulb what do you recommend? A specific brand?
Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! The halogen bulb just has to produce white light and heat. Not a see through bulb though, where you clearly see through like glass.

Sushe

Original Poster
I could only post the temperatures today, sorry about that. So, I think you found the problem... Under the basking spot today were 69ºC and 6 to 8 inches away were 51-55ºC.. I'm really feeling bad for this because I was mistaken by the thermometer. With this "real" temperatures under the basking spot the thermometer is marking only 40.2ºC, and in the could side were 40ºC+- that's why she prefers to be there, the lowest temperature the terrarium haves in the day.

I'm going to replace the basking bulb with the one that you recommended, and to try to make her poop I will do the recipe you told me with baby food etc..

I have the X-ray the vet took from Papua so you can see it
94419-260890881.jpg

Thanks a lot for everything!! AHBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom