Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I took my beardie to the vet and did a fecal sample check. Bad news for Dyno. He was loaded with parasites and mites so he's being treated with Dewormer- Panacur Liquid 100mg/ml and Ivermectin-1mg/ml 0.1%. Poor guy has been off and on with basking and I knew something was up. The vet said it was ALOT and that if I had waited any longer he wouldn't have been with us so I am so glad I took him to get checked out. The vet wants me to give his meds for 5 days, he already took his two shots yesterday so he has just the Panacur 4 days more and then in two weeks to come back for the Ivermectin.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes probiotics are fine. But, Ivermectin is REALLY toxic to reptiles, there have been a couple of dragon deaths on this forum from vets using Ivermectin.

Are the mites red, black or white, and are they visible to the eye ? Are they visible in his tank ? If they are on your beardie they are in his tank. If not then he does not really have an active infestation.

BTW, I saw your recent pics of him and he was a picture of health, and your set up is beautiful. How could the vet say he would not have made it much longer ? His behavior of hiding under stuff is normal beardie behavior.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the compliment. I don't "see" any in his tank/enclosure, I might have seen black dots on him but wasn't sure if they were dirt or pieces from the bark. Hard to say. The vet wants me to come back for another treatment of Ivermectin so should I not go back and get it done? I saw him only giving a few drops in his mouth. Btw, that stuff is super expensive it was around $50 or so just for a few drops of it, I am like omg! Crazy! The thing is I am not to keen on medications as they are heavy on organs and I feel more comfortable with natural remedies. I did order some Reptaid XL for him.

Also, I was in the lab where he was doing the fecal sample under the microscope and can see the little worms wiggling around. Once I got back from the vet, I immediately gave him a Betadine bath and while doing so I steam cleaned his whole enclosure. Took all his decor out and gave it a nice good cleaning. He also said his temps were a bit high as to the possibility of hiding. The temps should be around 85 to 90. I just want him to feel better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I personally believe you are getting ripped off. There are no visible mites that the vet pointed out and he's charging you $50 for a drop of meds. that most vets won't even use anymore ? Ugh ! I would not step foot in that place. Google reviews on this guy to see if there are good/bad.

Anyway, no Ivermectin ! And the vet didn't know to tell you that if Dyno had mites that his entire tank would be infested ? I hope Dyno doesn't get too sick from the Ivermectin, hopefully it was really a tiny dose [ sounds like it ] A whopping $50 every rip off drop. An entire 100 ml bottle of it costs about $35.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I won't be going back to this place and another shot of the Ivermectin stuff, even though paid a lot of $. He did not see any mites on him but found some in his fecal sample under the microscope. He did show the mites / little bugs on the screen so I could see for myself. Should I keep doing the Panacur treatment? It is only 4 days more since he already gave the dose while at the vet.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok phew, thank you so much for the info :D I looked up that stuff Ivermectin and it looks like its REALLY BAD stuff. I feel so bad for even having the vet give it to him but you would think these vets know what they're doing and you are putting your trust and faith into them. Makes it very frustrating. There are only a few holistic vets but so far none that see reptiles. If there is, I just don't know about it. Sigh... I just hope he makes it through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom