What will you do if you were in my place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Hello all I got a beardy I got back in March she's been sick the whole time except for 2 months from March to Sept only time she was thriving was May and June took the dragon to the vet was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms gave the antibiotics the last 2 times he pooped been normal he doesn't have a black beard does not look in distress just like in brumation mode not eating and very lethargic from time to time I put him on the basking spot and she will stay out of her hide but just lays there like she just gave up in Life.i do still give water by syringe 2.5 ml once a week but not feeding her because there is no point I do leave some food just in case she wants to eat.but I have to put together the facts she is being ill most of the time I had her so I just got a bad dragon.what would you do? I forgot to mention she lost 40 grams and she is 340 now she should be 9 months old now.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My husbandry is fine she's in a big 4x2x2 enclosure the room she's in doesn't fall below 75 her basking spot is 100 she likes it around high 90's she's got a 34 inch t5 uvb.if I was a bad keeper all my herps be sick I got 2 snakes and I had no issues at all I know there different animals.also on day 2 when I brought her home I had to take her to the vet she got better then 2 months later sick again,her immune system is weaker then other beardies as she was diagnosed with Atenovirus so I keep a che at night on the side she sleeps and it stays 78 to 80 at night.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I like to comment peoplevthat have sick beardies no calcium no uvb improper heating and sand none of this is going here another way to phrase this is my beardie is wasting away like someone is so depressed they don't want to get out of bed my dragon looks healthy right now but not normal behaviour.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardeddtagonlover":2kcjnopx said:
…. her immune system is weaker then other beardies as she was diagnosed with Atenovirus so I keep a che at night on the side she sleeps and it stays 78 to 80 at night.

Helps to tell us this upfront. Think there are things husbandrywise that can be done to improve her health.
High potency food suppliments , ie VetaFarm HerpaBoost , VetaFarm Reptile CrittaCare given each day by syringe are very good …. I've had very good results , brought very sick reptiles back from death's door using Critta Care.

Have you taken her to a REPTILE VET since the wasting started ?
A vet assessment is a very good idea before you make changes to set up for critical care , else you can do more harm than good.
Refer to viewtopic.php?f=45&t=245486&p=1866542#p1866542

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that your dragon has ADV. Send a p.m. to one of the mods. here, Tracy [ username Drache613. ] She is working with a top lab that actually studies ADV + working on a cure. She knows about caring for dragons with this virus better than an average reptile vet and has helped quite a few owners that came here with ADV + dragons.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi,yes tracy helped me with the test like I mentioned in my previous posts I took it to the vet and was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms she is ok now just not eating yes I have all you mentioned herpaboost critical care but I'm supposed to syringe feed for the rest of the Lizards life?that is what I'm talking about the vet did some expensive test I spent almost 1000 dollars one test they did was for ameva she was negative at this point I'm just going to spend money I don't have and they won't find the cause I think this is just something viral if she starts eating on her own then everything be fine that is all I been waiting for for the last few months my beardie has not eaten on her own since July.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I made this basking spot for my beardie and put a tile on top the grout gets too hot my beardie won't climb up there unless I put her there she can climb it just don't want to overall she is very lethargic
97755-6799955196.jpg
I was planing to put 2 more platforms so she will have something to climb but as it is right now I'm waiting to see what happens with this lizard.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=245486&p=1866542#p1866542. This is not the case here she's got access to food she just won't eat or do anything at 9 months old being in brumation for over a month is not normal. I'm waiting for my beardie to eat and bask on her own because I'm not going to be doing this long term she is failing to thrive at this point because she is not sick. When beardies get sick or skin and bones that is the keepers fault ,lack off food and overall improper husbandry,but I'm providing that environment. As far as hydration I been given my dragon 2.5 ml of water,sugar and a bit of salt once a week she is hydrated.if she starts losing lot of weight I will supplement via syringe but if she stays the same by the end of the year I'm going to have to make a decision what I'm going to do if things don't get better.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardeddtagonlover":24n58390 said:
Hi,yes tracy helped me with the test like I mentioned in my previous posts I took it to the vet and was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms she is ok now just not eating yes I have all you mentioned herpaboost critical care but I'm supposed to syringe feed for the rest of the Lizards life?
No - only for about 2 or 3 months to get the dragon back to a good health state. This should be done under an experienced reptile rescuer's or reptile vet's supervision.

You might need to hand feed or even force feed by hand the dragon for a while to ensure it is getting nutrition everyday to ensure it gets on the right trajectory …. I'd suggest 2 feeds of good quality insects (if the vet says the dragon's kidneys can handle the injection of insect protein after an extended period of fasting and low metabolic rate for the reasons already spelt out in a previous response).

that is what I'm talking about the vet did some expensive test I spent almost 1000 dollars one test they did was for ameva she was negative at this point I'm just going to spend money I don't have and they won't find the cause I think this is just something viral if she starts eating on her own then everything be fine that is all I been waiting for for the last few months my beardie has not eaten on her own since July.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh I can hand feed/assist feed the dragon she will eat anything I put on her mouth I only have time to feed my lizard once a day so how many insects you recommend? I can get superworms at a petstore near by i cut them in half she eats them right away,so you recommend live insects or I have carnivore care and herpaboost . My dragon is a good weight but like you said low metabolic rate like she is brumating she was in bad shape and the doze off antibiotics was a lot she was on septra,also the first vet I took my dragon had no knowledge and gave me metronidazole and did no good so she was on all those for a good month.i like the carnivore care because I only have time to feed her once per day and I can do twice a day on my days off which are Saturdays and Tuesdays I'll start by giving her the roaches and the superworms to hand feed her is no problem at all she just won't eat on her own,also since I had my beardie has never given me a black beard or any type of agression.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardeddtagonlover":1tbg4yfu said:
I made this basking spot for my beardie and put a tile on top the grout gets too hot my beardie won't climb up there unless I put her there she can climb it just don't want to overall she is very lethargic
97755-6799955196.jpg
I was planing to put 2 more platforms so she will have something to climb but as it is right now I'm waiting to see what happens with this lizard.

I'd be removing the high platform ( it's a long fall onto a hard surface if the dragon tries to crawl off or takes a tumble , and with her lack of food intake ,she likely has MBD , so this will result in serious bone injuries).
I'd be hanging the basking globe pendulum style so the dragon has a lower / floor level basking platform , maybe try giving the dragon a jumbo sized HubbaHut (hollow 1/2 log) that doubles as hide and basking platfrom (they are about 8" high and even the laziest dragon will have no problem climbing ontop to bask.

I used to have my UV globes in reflector domes that I hung pendulum style from under the lids of my old 100L rearing tubs , this worked very well and the distance from the globe to the basking spot was easily adjustable .
I used a cable tie on a loop formed in the cable above the dome light fitting and simply adjusted the position of the loop to suit.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And I forgot to say I find it strange because my beardy is 363 g right now so she is not skin and bones so why she won't eat and low in energy that is what I don't get.but I'll start feeding her and see if things get better.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi king I give liquid calcium but only half of the doze 0.2 cuz I don't want to overdose and I do that 1 a week also that platform is 9 inches in height I have another platform I have not finish yet that is a bit lower how high you think that platform was? The 9 inch hooked up to the thermometer stat is great year-round with the 65 watt light as in summer the light runs at 50 to 60% and in winter 80 to 90% also my dragon does not like very high temps never did she's happy at 95 but can take up to 100 as long as her body temp is around 100 is fine,when she gets better I was planning to put her a platform with just the uvb my dragon only basks to digest foodvand to warm up but that's it does not spent much time basking when she was active but likes the uvb so I was going to do 2 separate areas.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardeddtagonlover":2ifpjff7 said:
Hi king I give liquid calcium but only half of the doze 0.2 cuz I don't want to overdose and I do that 1 a week also that platform is 9 inches in height I have another platform I have not finish yet that is a bit lower how high you think that platform was? The 9 inch hooked up to the thermometer stat is great year-round with the 65 watt light as in summer the light runs at 50 to 60% and in winter 80 to 90% also my dragon does not like very high temps never did she's happy at 95 but can take up to 100 as long as her body temp is around 100 is fine,when she gets better I was planning to put her a platform with just the uvb my dragon only basks to digest foodvand to warm up but that's it does not spent much time basking when she was active but likes the uvb so I was going to do 2 separate areas.

9"onto hard tiles is a fair way for weakened/sick dragon to fall, especially if it's not getting enough food to maintain good bone density and strength.

I think giving vet grade liquid calcium (rather than home made) daily is necessary for her in her state, a little each day is much better than a larger dose every few days, she has more chance of metabolizing it and less risk of suffering hypercalcemia. I've had very good results using a product (originally as a vet issued as a prescription) called VetaFarm CalciVet.
This is calcium glutonate and is sweet tasting …. I keep some on hand in my fridge at all times for rescued reptiles and birds and have found they invariably like it …. almost as much as licking some honey off the finger tip.

A bearded dragon's body weight can vary by more than 6-8% depending on how full it's lower intestines are and how much it's eaten.
My Peppa who is 3yr old and 25" long and tops out 780-800g can loose 40-50g in one poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom