BSFL Question

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

BSFL Question

Postby KoNut » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 am

I just got my 1 month old bearded dragon and feeding him crickets is kinda a pain since I have to do it in his enclosure cause he is too scared to be picked up. Can BSFL be a staple diet? I'd also still feed some dusted crickets too. If BSFL can be a staple diet, do I have to dust them with calcium powder and how many a day would I feed him the larvae?
KoNut
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: BSFL Question

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am

Yes , BSFL are a great feeder for a hatchling.

Make sure they white and wriggly ones …. they are more appetizing to little hatchlings and softer on the outside.
The brown laval stage that's still wriggly is OK but I've found your are better off giving these by hand (I snip the head off and squeeze out some the insides so they can taste the wormy gooy goodness.
I don't dust my BSFL at all. They are very rich in calcium and most the vitamins and minerals naturally.

You'll need a worm escape feeding dish as BSFL are little escape artists : I currently use a porceline dish that's got a bit of overhang that helps stop them from climbing out. (These are on Ebay)

I'd just deposit 20 or 3O BSFL in the dish and let the hatchling eat at it's leisure, then count the remainng BSFL before returning the survivors to the BSFL keeper tub …. the difference will be what's been eaten, if the hatchling makes them all disappear , add more next time.

It's perfectly OK to feed your hatchling his crickets a few at time in the tank. Let him catch and eat them , then drop a few more in , repeat until he looses interest.
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby KoNut » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Yes , BSFL are a great feeder for a hatchling.

Make sure they white and wriggly ones …. they are more appetizing to little hatchlings and softer on the outside.
The brown laval stage that's still wriggly is OK but I've found your are better off giving these by hand (I snip the head off and squeeze out some the insides so they can taste the wormy gooy goodness.
I don't dust my BSFL at all. They are very rich in calcium and most the vitamins and minerals naturally.

You'll need a worm escape feeding dish as BSFL are little escape artists : I currently use a porceline dish that's got a bit of overhang that helps stop them from climbing out. (These are on Ebay)

I'd just deposit 20 or 3O BSFL in the dish and let the hatchling eat at it's leisure, then count the remainng BSFL before returning the survivors to the BSFL keeper tub …. the difference will be what's been eaten, if the hatchling makes them all disappear , add more next time.

It's perfectly OK to feed your hatchling his crickets a few at time in the tank. Let him catch and eat them , then drop a few more in , repeat until he looses interest.

I'm going to order 250 from josh's frogs right now. Should i feed him crickets and worms everyday together or switch off feeding him crickets one day and worms another?
KoNut
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 am

KoNut wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Yes , BSFL are a great feeder for a hatchling.

I'm going to order 250 from josh's frogs right now. Should i feed him crickets and worms everyday together or switch off feeding him crickets one day and worms another?

I'd do a feed of crickets in the AM , then BSFL for meal#2 and back to crickets OR silkworms maybe for meal#3. (for a dragon under 6 months old).
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding