Beardie not eating and vivarium questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lekvilius

Hello, i've had my bearded dragon for about 4 days now. His name is Smaug an absolute beauty. I don't know if I should be worried but I've had him for 4 days now and he only eats 3-4 crickets/hopers a day. Not sure if equipment that came with vivarium from petstore is good enough but looking at thermometer looks like I'm getting good temperatures. Cool area is 86°F basking spot 98°F. UVB lamp is from Arcadia dessert 30w 10%+. Just ordered some waxworms hoping he will prefer more than crickets or hoppers as I read for baby dragons waxworm shell is ok to digest. Would appreciate some tips or help of how to help him eat more or should I just wait till he will settle in? Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tube bulb you are using is the Arcadia D3 12%? I see it isn't in a fixture with a reflective
backing? I would recommend getting a tube bulb fixture with reflective backing for your tube
bulb so that the light is specifically directed downward towards your dragon instead of glaring
out & away from him. The tube bulb needs to be mounted directly overhead. What type of
basking light do you have? The tank looks nice & bright in there based on the picture.
The thermometer you are using is the round analogue type? Those are known for being a bit
inaccurate. We recommend getting either a digital probe or a temp gun for more accurate
readings on your temperatures. The temperatures are crucial to their health & in their
appetites.
What sized crickekts & hoppers do you use? They should be smaller than the space between
his eyes, to avoid impaction. Also, you have only had him a few days & they will usually go
through a relocation type of stress which is absolutely normal. He is in a new home so he will
need to settle in a bit, too.
He looks very cute basking there!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom