Blood in urates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.
My bearded dragon is a one year old male and over the past 3 months I’ve noticed something odd. It’s happened twice before this, there’s a tiny amount of blood in his urates. I’ve seen some posts here where it’s from the urates being too chalky. I gave him a bath two days ago and it happened today. He’s on a paper towel substrate, if something is wrong I’d like to nip it in the butt now bc he’s not experiencing black bearding, appetite loss or weight loss. The three times it’s happened has been over a 3 month period. Again it’s a small amount like smaller than a paper cut and it’s not a regular thing. It happens at random time, his basking spot is 95 degrees, cool side is at 85, warm side is at 90. He has a reptisun tube UVB lamp as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using a digital probe or a temp gun to measure the temperatures with?
How close is the Reptisun 10 tube to him & how often do you supplement with calcium?
This can happen if they have to strain a bit, or are dehydrated possibly. This can also be
caused from worms or parasites if they are in a heavy load.
Since this hasn't happened much, it doesn't sound like a big problem. You can try to get
more oral fluids into him & have more greens added into his diet. Does he eat much in
the way of greens?

Tracie

MsMiaWallace

Original Poster
I use a temp gun the UVB lamp is about 6 inches away. He does okay on greens. Really depends on the week, some weeks he’s great some weeks he eats around the greens. Calcium is about once a week I’ll try your suggestion of giving him more fluids. Thank you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Orangeish staining of urates (confused for blood in the urates) can indicate colloidal calcium oxalate crystals are being deposited in the urates and the diet has too much calcium in it or the reptile is not metabolizing the dietary calcium properly ( insufficient UVB or temperatures are too low).

This needs too be assessed by an experienced REPTILE VET, will involve bloodwork.

Ultrabeard

I wish I had input on this, but I am also investigating blood in bowel movement for my lizard as well. For my dragon, its just a tinge of blood that trails off after the urate and stool are passed.
It is undetermined by both myself and multiple vets as to the cause whether systemic or physical (cloaca tear?), but hes very healthy with slightly higher WBC (idiopathic)

As for yours, is the blood after the movement or, you see a slit of red directly on the urate? Has he been screened for parasites yet just to rule that out?

MsMiaWallace

Original Poster
It isn’t on his poop it’s a tinge after the urate, the actual urate is still very white he has a vet appointment this week where we will be doing blood work and possibly a stool test. It’s only happened when he “pees” never when he poops (unless the urate is attached)

Ultrabeard

MsMiaWallace":3cj9dhqp said:
It isn’t on his poop it’s a tinge after the urate, the actual urate is still very white he has a vet appointment this week where we will be doing blood work and possibly a stool test. It’s only happened when he “pees” never when he poops (unless the urate is attached)

Well, it must be like mine as long as its after something - my little guy would get the tinge at the end of any movement whether urate or stool, but not every time.

After a half dose of metrozinadole (making sure he's fine with it) almost a couple weeks ago, he got kind of tired and his poops slowed down. he's perky again, and hasn't had blood almost for a week straight. Not sure if there's correlation, as I'm undecided giving him more yet. If it flares up again I'll do it. The vet told me I should be giving him that dose every few days for two weeks and that would be a course.

He just had one good urate today for some reason. No blood or stool.
A scope check showed zero protozoa. Couldn't find one. Must only be prevalent in stool.
Research is making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom