Weird Behaviour Since Moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyEyron

My five year old beardie has been acting really weirdly for the last few weeks, with the most worrying thing being he's completely gone off his food.

I moved house, which is what triggered the change I believe. He was in a carry cage in the car for six hours, with frequent stops to check his temperature and general mood, and seemed fine for the journey. I set up his vivarium immediately on arrival and put him back in it. The temperatures (monitored by a thermostat in the hot end) and lights (timed by an automatic day cycle timer) are the same as they have always been, and his viv set up hasn't changed at all.

Since moving he's been waaaay more active than usual, including skimming the glass which he never does. He also isn't eating, I've tried him on his usual greens and locusts, on carrot, on crickets, on morio worms, and he's just refusing everything. Normally he's the biggest fatty and I have to monitor to make sure he isn't going to eat too much, and he's never gone off his food before. He also often has a really black beard.

I've put a scarf up covering three quarters of the vivarium under the assumption that he was stressed seeing a new environment, but that hasn't changed his behaviour much except he seems to be focusing on staying in the area he can see out the glass. Has anyone got any tips for me? He's normally such a laid back dude who will happily munch on hand fed food so I'm stumped :S

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They often become a little stressed after moving. You could try covering a couple of the sides
of glass in his tank, with butcher paper to help with glare of him seeing himself. Has he ever
done this before?
Is his beard black all of the time, or, just part of the time?

Tracie

RustyEyron

Original Poster
Hey, it's been a little while since I posted but he's still not eating properly :/ I covered his tank for a while and that seemed to calm down the tank skimming and black beard so he's now acting normally except for the not eating thing. I've left locusts in the tank (which I normally don't do) and he seems to be chasing them a bit but not actually eating them and won't try and go for them when I offer one by hand (his usual feeding method because he's got stubby legs that make him really slow in hunting). I've been annoying him into opening his mouth over the last few days and sticking some greens in when it's open, and he happily munches away at them once they're in there rather than spitting them out, but he won't actually go for them himself. It's like he's forgotten how to eat? Or that he's supposed to eat? I have no idea what's going on, but he seems calm and normal except for not properly eating in ages. Should I take him to a vet? I don't really know what they could do when all that really seems wrong now is he just doesn't want to eat until he can taste the food already?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Was he eating pretty normally before you moved?
He could also be trying to brumate also. Is he maintaining his weight too?
I'm glad to hear he has calmed down some though, that helps out a lot.
So he isn't black bearding now? Has he ever brumated before?
The main thing a vet's appointment would do is that they could do a fecal
for you, just to be sure he doesn't have worms or parasites.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom