POST-PROLAPSE SURGERY FEEDING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I would really appreciate some help on this. My bearded dragon, Junior, who is a 6 year old female had a prolapse 3 days ago. We managed to keep it moisturized until we saw the vet yesterday. He did a purse-string suture and told us that she should be fine to eat within a couple days. Upon taking Junior home she started to act like she had bowel movement(nothing came out) and started to strain her stitches. Her stitches broke and we ended up taking her back to the vet and they replaced the suture. She is doing fine now and seems to be fully awake since yesterday. My question is would it be fine to feed her now. I ask only because she wouldn't eat since her prolapse occurred and she looked dehydrated. We tried giving her water mixed with calcium powder till we saw the vet. Other than that she wouldn't eat. I worry though that if I feed her now and needs to poop later that she might break her suture again. Should I just hold off on feeding her until I see the vet again(which will be in 3-4 days)? And if I can feed her what will be okay for her situation. I have horn worms which are soft along with veggies (I will be holding off on giving her superworms for a while). I've also read that excessive diarrhea could cause prolapse. Is this true? If so, what should I avoid giving her that could lead to that? Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope I get some helpful advice!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry your girl is having this trouble. :( I would not feed her at all, just offer water dripped on her snout . You can mix a pinch of calcium powder with it unless she doesn't like the taste, but you do want to keep her hydrated.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur …. no solids until the you are sure she has completely healed down there ….

CalciVet is a very good way of getting calcium into her - is very sweet tasting and I've found skinks and dragons like it almost as much as honey.

ONLY SLOPPY foods for now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, I am sorry to hear about all of her trouble. That is so hard on them, too.
I completely agree, just soft foods/slurries for now. I think no solid foods should
be given for at least a month, maybe a little longer. You don't want any straining
whatsoever, to allow for those muscles to heal up fully.
Keep us posted on how she is doing. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Tracie

KevinBeard

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the well wishes for Junior. I hope she recovers well. Looking into these comments I notice that you guys mention sloppy foods. Would baby food like Gerber suffice for her until she has fully healed?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just offer water for the next few days, you don't want her to get diarhea or have the urge to poo. She will be O.K The next time you're at the vet's, ask for Critical Care formula, good nutritious supplement.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Gerber baby food is fine, just be sure it is organic on the label.
How is she doing today, is she basking normally & active?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

KevinBeard

Original Poster
So far she seems fine. She does look like she may be losing some weight because her eye sockets seem more apparent but that is because we haven't fed her much since the prolapse. We have been keeping her hydrated and giving her slurry food. She did make a small poo a couple days ago but luckily she didn't reprolapse.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, I hope she is feeling better soon.
Do you add any protein into the shake for her? You could get some alfalfa powder to put into
her slurry for some protein. That might help keep her from losing more weight. Let us know
how she is doing.

Tracie

KevinBeard

Original Poster
So I have been giving Junior some Oxbow Critical Care formula every other day and have been misting her to stay hydrated. Unfortunately she has been pooping frequently within the past few days. Should I stop feeding her and just continue to mist her and keep her hydrated for a while?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like she's doing well so far . :) It's O.K for her to be pooing now, you obviously don't want large meals of solid food at all but what she is being given should be fine at this point. If she's a large dragon of good weight you might space the meals out to every 4 days or so and add extra water. No need to mist, it only helps with shedding or for a drink when you drip it on her snout.

Can you post any pics of her ?

KevinBeard

Original Poster
93906-2521808124.jpg
[
93906-3167044525.jpg
93906-9797481144.jpg
Hey guys here are a few pictures of Junior. She may look a bit odd in her stance as she does have MBD. Today has been kind of concerning. Her beard is all black and she is keeping her head up high. I try to gently guide her head back down and anytime I touch her back, she lifts her head back up. She still has no appetite for live food. And her eyes have been sunken for a few days, which is why we have been misting her in hopes that the hydration will help it. I thought that since we have a male beardie in a tank next to her is why her beard is all black but we have a portion of his cage covered so they cannot see each other and our male, Pacco, hasn't been head bobbing nor does he have a black beard.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is she getting enough oral fluids for hydration? Misting wont hydrate her much or enough.
If her pads have sunken, then she probably isn't getting enough food & fluids. I agree, I would
continue the critical care feedings, spaced out. How long has she been on a liquid diet?
Is her beard black, constantly or just sometimes?

I hope she is feeling alright, a black beard is concerning.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom