Hornworm Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would get my beardie, Eli, a treat and order him some hornworms along with his dubia roaches (he also regularly gets bsfl). The hornworms are A LOT bigger than I expected. I knew they grew quick, but the size still is larger than I thought they would be. Since they're soft-bodied and made up of a lot of water, can I safely feed him ones larger than the space between his eyes? He's about 4-6 months old (not sure if what the pet store told me was accurate) and approximately 11-12 inches long.

I gave him one of the smaller ones and he loved it! I'd like to be able to give him one a day or so just to help keep him hydrated and to add variety to his diet.

On a side note, the hornworms are kind of cute. lol Remind me of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland. I feel a bit bad sacrificing them to a dragon! :p

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you can definitely feed him bigger ones. Can you post pics of the hornworm next to the dragon ?

LavenderFleur

Original Poster
Well, I tried, but he snatched them up as soon as I got close. :lol: He ate two, and I didn't want to risk a third and have poop shenanigans later.

The largest worms are about 1.5-1.75 inches long, and not too fat.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
:lol: I thought of that as I typed that , I could just see the " hornworm challenge " fail. But anyway, those are just fine for him and you can go even bigger [ which you will be by the end of the week ] so you might as well give him 2 every day if you have a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom