Hornworm Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would get my beardie, Eli, a treat and order him some hornworms along with his dubia roaches (he also regularly gets bsfl). The hornworms are A LOT bigger than I expected. I knew they grew quick, but the size still is larger than I thought they would be. Since they're soft-bodied and made up of a lot of water, can I safely feed him ones larger than the space between his eyes? He's about 4-6 months old (not sure if what the pet store told me was accurate) and approximately 11-12 inches long.

I gave him one of the smaller ones and he loved it! I'd like to be able to give him one a day or so just to help keep him hydrated and to add variety to his diet.

On a side note, the hornworms are kind of cute. lol Remind me of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland. I feel a bit bad sacrificing them to a dragon! :p

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you can definitely feed him bigger ones. Can you post pics of the hornworm next to the dragon ?

LavenderFleur

Original Poster
Well, I tried, but he snatched them up as soon as I got close. :lol: He ate two, and I didn't want to risk a third and have poop shenanigans later.

The largest worms are about 1.5-1.75 inches long, and not too fat.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
:lol: I thought of that as I typed that , I could just see the " hornworm challenge " fail. But anyway, those are just fine for him and you can go even bigger [ which you will be by the end of the week ] so you might as well give him 2 every day if you have a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom