10 month old brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! New beardie owner here. Norbert is about 10 months old, 19 inches long and a solid 495 grams. I've had him since he was about a month to two months old.

He stopped eating crickets on September 1st, and stopped eating his salads shortly after. I am able to feed him grub pie and he'll eat it with glee, and he has been treated with panacur recently, but there are no signs of pinworms or otherwise. He gets bathed at least 2 times a week although lately I've been doing it more often to avoid dehydration. He's also currently in shed.

He's still refusing to eat anything other than grub pie, and I'm not sure if I should let him.

He sleeps most of the day but does bask on his own once in a while, and very alert when I take him out of his viv.
Could he be brumating at this age?

Tank setup:

He's on repticarpet, he has a reptisun 10.0 uvb t5 tube that's less then 6 months old, a 100 watt basking light. 50.5 gallon tank currently

His temps taken with heat gun
Basking 100-110
Hot side 90
Cool side 80-85 (I live in Florida lol. 'Tis still warm out)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's most likely a bit of a normal slow down, not a full brumation. He is big enough to do this , but some people are sticklers for the " they must be a certain age " like 2 years old etc. I've had a lot of dragons and as long as they are a large size + otherwise healthy, this behavior is usually 100% fine. :)

Nosouledginger

Original Poster
AHBD":3hoqr91l said:
Hi there, it's most likely a bit of a normal slow down, not a full brumation. He is big enough to do this , but some people are sticklers for the " they must be a certain age " like 2 years old etc. I've had a lot of dragons and as long as they are a large size + otherwise healthy, this behavior is usually 100% fine. :)

Thank you so much! I am such a nervous beardie mom, so seeing this for the first time with no other experience is interesting/worrying. It's good to have some reassurance from someone who knows lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) It is stressful to see a new behavior that may seem to be a health problem so it's always best to ask ! A lot of dragons that don't really brumate long will do a short sleep, sometimes a few days up, few days down and this can go on for a month or more. It's just their natural instinct kicking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom