Bearded dragon looks like a balloon animal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKHatesYou

So my beardie is like 6 months old. I had a bad lighting set up, and also probably was not feeding my beardie the necessary amount of calcium in her diet because I had no idea you were supposed to dust the veggies till yesterday. Went to my vet yesterday after she hadn’t been eating the same, her energy and weight had SIGNIFICANTLY decreased and she hadn’t pooped in like 2 days. She has MBD, but no irreparable damage has been done. They gave me this lizard baby formula called Emeraid IC Omnivor, told me to mix the powder with water until it is like a pancake batter consistency and to feed her 10ml a day. Gave her 10ml yesterday, also fed her some greens, and today she looked like a water balloon. She pooped this morning... so I don’t think it’s an impaction. But I feel so bad because the poor girl looks like she’s about to bust and I had to hand feed her another 10ml of food today and it was significantly harder than it was yesterday... can anyone explain to me why she’s a balloon??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It most likely is way too much food & causing intestinal gas.
Can you list the ingredients on the Emeraid here for us? I hate to say but a lot of the powdered
processed foods contain things that aren't great for them, as well as genetically modified food
powder which is virtually impossible for them to digest properly.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

AKHatesYou

Original Poster
She’s not doing well today... I’m going to take her to the vet because I believe she has a respiratory infection.
I can’t take a pic of the ingredients because my vet put a sticker over it but this is the packaging:

101312-8033300186.jpg

And here is how my beardie is looking today

101312-6193707655.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is definitely bloated! She didn't look that way prior to the feeding?
I found an ingredient list. While it should technically be nutritious, the second & third ingredients
are almost guaranteed to be genetically modified. I strongly feel that this is one of the current
leading causes of health problems now, that cause renal failure, liver failure, as well as cancer.
Corn & soy products are laced in practically every processed food for both human & animals &
those are primarily genetically modified which is not healthy. Unless otherwise stated organic
& non gmo project verified organic, I consider it to have genetically modified organisms in it if
those two ingredients corn & soy, are present.
I highly recommend getting some organic baby food such as chicken or turkey, as well as squash
or sweet potatoes to mix up for her, instead.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Is the vet a registered REPTILE VET ?

What was the vet's reasoning in putting her in the Herbivore Critical Care ?

I don't think this an appropriate diet for a sick dragon. ( She needs some insect proteins and fats in her diet .) She is 6 months old …. so still a juvenile and she needs to be getting insects twice per day + some FRESH salad.

I think the vet should have interrogated you along the lines of this : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today, any changes? Please let us know how she is doing. I hope
she is feeling better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom