Loose urates and blood tinge (UNRESOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultrabeard

Original Poster
So the blood test came back and its very good especially for calcium/vitamins and all. Kidneys and everything is good so likely not bacterial.
The white blood cell counts and something else was high, indicating some dehydration and infection. Vet thinks its the coccidia and gave albon.
I gave some albon but remembered that Toltrazuril worked wonders last time and cleared coccidia. I am waiting on that now and can do fecal floats as well after treatment to be sure.
The main thing is to see if the blood goes away and urates firm up with treatment. But yeah everything is mostly green. His stool is still solid, his weight and alertness is all healthy. Will post the results in a couple weeks. I'll still be darned if its coccidia but it couldn't hurt.

Ultrabeard

Original Poster
So I decided to not use the albon as he had his first diarrhea in a very long time just after only a couple days of giving him a relatively low dose of it...the vet wanted me to use even more after the blood test came back good with his kidneys. I opted to use flavored Toltrazuril (baycox) instead. He took his dose of it last Saturday, and he's still the same. All is well with him - but he STILL gets slightly off-colored urates and blood! He is pooping less often and with less liquid - hes down to once a day. He skipped sunday and monday - and went yesterday and today. I did a fecal float, and the previous vet seems correct - I still see a very low number of parasites. One pinworm egg, and maybe 10-12 coccidia on the entire slide - they are hard to find and not clustered.
Following up with the current vet....last time over a year ago he had a very high 4+ count of coccidia and the toltrazuril worked great, but right now it seems like they aren't the problem anyway.

Ultrabeard

Original Poster
Hey guys, a week after the Toltrazuril a fecal float showed 7 pinworm eggs (still considered few) and just 2 coccidia. He is still having some blood tinge/streaking with the occasional extra movement that is just fluids and a loose urate.

As I was doing fecal smear tests, his bloodier stools have HEAVY flagellates/trichomonas, whereas the better looking stools only have a dozen or so randomly scattered. I could try Metronidazole, but otherwise, this still isn't clear. The vet does not know what to do now if it's not coccidia. It doesn't look like it is at all. The vet only offered for advanced tests for Cryptosporidium, which there isn't good treatment for, and doesn't look like he has it since he's in very good shape aside from minor dehydration (chronic).

Looks like this case is on hold until I find out how to resolve it. It remains a mystery! Any thoughts guys?

Ultrabeard

Original Poster
Hey guys, a week after the Toltrazuril a fecal float showed 7 pinworm eggs (still considered few) and just 2 coccidia. He is still having some blood tinge/streaking with the occasional extra movement that is just fluids and a loose urate.

As I was doing fecal smear tests, his bloodier stools have HEAVY flagellates/trichomonas, whereas the better looking stools only have a dozen or so randomly scattered. I could try Metronidazole, but otherwise, this still isn't clear. The vet does not know what to do now if it's not coccidia. It doesn't look like it is at all. The vet only offered for advanced tests for Cryptosporidium, which there isn't good treatment for, and doesn't look like he has it since he's in very good shape aside from minor dehydration (chronic).

Looks like this case is on hold until I find out how to resolve it. It remains a mystery! Any thoughts guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom