Pancake & the Hooman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Pancake is my first reptile, and he has me completely wrapped around his little scaly feet, I thought the idea of having a place to start documenting Pancake's journey with me would be fun, so here we go~

For our first entry, we will begin with the power outage last week. All went well, and after running around on my bed for a good half hour Pancake got a little less squirmy and settled for snuggling in his dino blankie.

Pancake: Ummm HOOMAN NOOO.... I tried to squirm away but then you put the lightbox in front with lizards on the screen and it made sounds and I was hypnotized!!

96854-315431352.jpg

...AKA... I played How To Train Your Dragon on my laptop and it caught Pancake's attention pretty quickly :lol:

And part way through the movie he made a little burrow and had a power nap

96854-6495580054.jpg

Pancake: And then I woke up 5 minutes later to climb up my hooman's tree branch arms (but they're really more like fat twigs).

But as for some other Pancake moments...

96854-2817905965.jpg
Pancake: New hooman, I do not know who you are but I will offer a smole smile in exchange for crickets.
This was around January 9th, in his old tank, three days after coming home.

96854-9804566749.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, do not worry! Am here!!

The tank that got dropped off with my precious baby was an absolute mess, complete with some cracked glass that we couldn't get a replacement for, so my parents bought me a very early Christmas present of a new tank for Pancake around January 18th. I moved all of his accessories over to make his move easier, and of course he was thankful to have his beloved bathing bowl (the water is extremely shallow, barely up to his ankles) and decided to hide in it. I panicked because at first I couldn't see him anywhere in his tank, but when I started calling for him, up popped Pancake's little head :p

96854-7748638945.jpg
Pancake: *ahem* Hooman, now is time for cuddles!! Not the lightbox!

Towards the end of January, Pancake started to get quite comfortable around me, which I was shocked at as he was very shy when he was first home. But alas, he also became more demanding :lol: While he was running around in his playpen, I decided to work on some homework. Well, he got a bit grumpy and decided to prevent any further essay writing until I picked him up and let him snuggle into my hair lol.

96854-1707843813.jpg

I love how gold his eyes are <3

96854-9978907662.jpg
96854-1398905088.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, this is satisfactory, now pls leave me to basking.

This is the newest addition I've bought him, and Pancake definitely seems to like anything climbable lol. When I compare these two pictures (most recent) to what I remember he looked like when he was left at my work, he's starting to fill out a bit more. I'm worried that he might still be a bit small, especially compared to other beardies on here, but his appetite and energy levels have definitely picked up.

This is probably such a long post by now, but I just adore my little guy with all my heart.

More Pancake & the Hooman on the way~

dezismom

Juvie Member
Pancake is so cute! I enjoy his entries! My two say hi, Pancake...they want me to express their approval of hooman. .They understand how much work goes into properly training these hoomans, to become the good slaves they need to be. Hoomans are not so bright, they do not always understand simple beardie language, and must be constantly trained. It is work, but worth the effort. Please share some of your training tips, so all the beardies following you can be better trainers!

Dezi uses the swift kick method to start his hooman back up, when she is stroking his head and becomes distracted. He kicks her with his back leg, as if starting a motorcycle. He says do not be afraid to put some muscle into it.:)

Dezi, ready to apply a swift kick as needed...
82765-112981648.jpg

Miss Penny prefers the reward method of training. She dazzles her slave with her best grin of approval, when her hooman provides the correct service, especially in serving up a meal...she finds direct eye contect is helpful....
82765-4489990487.jpg

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pancake: My hooman was quite persistent in wanting to learn the ways of the beardie slave. I am satisfied to know I have done a good job with the training! I shall make my hooman tell others of my methods, trying to type on the lightbox is not easy for a lizard.

As for what the hooman has to say,

Dezi is adorable! The kickstart thing is even more adorable! I love hearing about the different quirks and personalities bearded dragons have :) They're fascinating (and sometimes sassy) little creatures. Penny is quite a pretty lady too lol.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pancake: Hooman is doing a terrible job of updating my blog :evil: She claims it's because of this "homework" stuff and that she isn't home as much because of this place called "university" that she has to go to because it cost her a lot of money. Why a hooman would pay money to be away from their beardie makes no sense :roll:

So here I am, waiting for the hooman to return.
96854-7519380594.jpg

Hooman: I feel bad for not posting here as much as I would like, but I have more Pancake stories and pictures to hopefully make up for it.

First on the list lol, Pancake's tank is in our basement (I wish it was upstairs, but we don't have the space up here at the moment and he wasn't exactly planned for as you all know). When he gets super excited and wants to come out, I can hear his little feet scritching on the tile when he runs around or when he claws at the glass if he's really desperate.

WELL. Last week I heard a scratching sound followed by a rustle. Naturally, I assume he's running in and out of his leaves like the weirdo he is. BUT NO. What I found was even more strange.

96854-5350587498.jpg

...And to top it off, he was wiggly his one little arm out to grab onto something to get down, because of course, he didn't know how to get himself out of this predicament.

Pancake: I was quite happy to see hooman come to my rescue. Even though she took this embarassing picture before helping me.

Hooman: Has anyone else seen their beardie do this?! Because it scared the crap out of me at first. I feel tempted to make a little padded area under the leaves in case he does this while I'm not home and falls :/

-------

Second story, Pancake thought he found a new way to eat his food.

96854-4767009718.jpg

Pancake: Why blep to eat, when I can absorb the food through my tummy?! It was genius I tell you!! But the hooman spoiled all my fun as usual and took me out of my salad :evil:

But the story of yesterday, shows how stupid hoomans can be! My hooman got home from work, and saw me laying on my tile and not looking very happy. She scooped me up and took me into her room, since I love to jump around on the big squishy thing she sleeps on. But I had a tummy ache because I hadn't pooed yet. So I only wanted to cuddle on my hooman's leg. After stealing all her body heat to help my belly, I ran away from my hooman to do my business.

But at the same time (!!!), one of the four legged butt sniffers (I think hoomans call them "dogs") entered the room, and my hooman thought I was given a frighten. So she picked me up and put me back on her leg. I couldn't hold it anymore!! I pooed. All over my hooman's pants :puke:

Thank the lizard lord, my hooman is well trained enough that she didn't get mad and instead only screeched for the big hooman to bring her paper towel to wipe it up and then laughed it off. Also, my tummy ache was gone. :D

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Today's Adventure

In The Hooman's Room:

Pancake seems to have a thing for fleece blankets and fluffy or plush things. If he's not trying to burrow in a blanket he's investigating any plush toys I have laying around lol.

96854-5617219740.jpg
Hmm... This looks quite comfy

96854-9575078063.jpg
10/10 would sit on again.

In Living Room:

At this point I've been completely distracted from my homework by watching Pancake entertain himself.

96854-8184907920.jpg
Running with the fellow dinos.

(Yes, the beanbag in the background is for Pancake to climb and rustle around in :lol: )

96854-5522617870.jpg
Hooman!! Open this door!!

(The door leads into my music/art room, and he loves to run around in there. I think it's because it's got so many colours in it and lots of stuff for him to investigate everywhere).

96854-3208031259.jpg
Surveying the kingdom.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The Kitchen Counter:

Pancake was getting a little too hyper while waiting for food (mostly my fault for sleeping in), so I thought I'd let him watch me make his salad and steal some snacks early to make up for it. He sat on my shoulder and watched me rip up some leaves, and as I expected, he jumped on the counter to steal some and begin munching away.

However, the counter had many other interesting feats.

Such as...

96854-7958831214.jpg

The mysterious reflecty bowl!!

Pancake usually doesn't attack his reflection anymore since there's so many mirrors in my house, but his reflection in the mixing bowl seemed to confuse him and he spent a good 10 minutes trying to understand why this other dragon looked so distorted.

And then he paused to read nutrition facts

96854-178564843.jpg

And to conclude this post, here is a cute picture of Pancake doing my homework :lol:
96854-9092045109.jpg

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My university is closed today so I actually have some time to give updates about my beloved lizard child :blob5:

Tank Cleaning

Whenever I clean Pancake's terrarium, I put him in his carrier with a heat pack and leave him upstairs by a window so he's safe and still has some entertainment while I'm cleaning. Well. A few days ago he decided he didn't want to be in his carrier, and stuck out his little foot to prevent me from doing up the zipper.
96854-1923016957.jpg

96854-8067130968.jpg

I use plant based cleaners that are safe to use around animals, so it was okay for him to watch me from inside his carrier (as you can see poor PanPan was horrified that everything was being taken out of his house)

96854-9814547379.jpg

Back to the topic of school, since I only really see Pancake in the morning to early afternoon now due to his sleep schedule and my schedule, I am trying to spend as much time as possible with him as I can.

Which, more often than not, results in Pancake interfering with my homework
The Tape Measure Thief
96854-4461014252.jpg

(He was sitting on my lap, jumped onto the table and ended up latching onto my tape measure :roll:)

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
96854-5029113707.jpg

Pancake:

Hoomans!! I have worms!! The vet said I have to take yucky medicine for 3 days, wait 2 weeks and then have it for another 3 :puke:

But I made my hooman very proud and drank all of it in one go and didn't put up any fuss :D I still don't know if I like the critical care, it smells good but when I taste it it's yucky. Hooman hid some in escarole, she said they were "tacos," and tricked me into eating it!
-----

If you saw my post about his hydration issue and his weight, the vet has said it's due to worms. He's currently on fenbendazole, and I also got a second empty syringe for water just in case he won't drink on his own while on the medication. This morning he only picked the BSFL out of his salad and refused to eat any of the veggies. I really hope they will be cleared up after the second treatment (that's when Pancake will have his next fecal test), I feel horrible that I couldn't find a good vet before!
He seems to be happy and derpy as usual otherwise, he's currently snuggled into my shoulder, and thinks the waterfall I got him is for climbing (I'm still watching the humidity, it doesn't go over 48%, and he hasn't had any breathing issues with it in his terrarium)
96854-5418550782.jpg

Although I suppose this is partially my fault, I did pick the pebble design over the tiki head because it looked more climbable :lol:

I really hope he's able to gain more weight when this is done, he has been gaining it super slowly over the year. I'm interested to see how crazy his energy levels are going to be when he's better too, since based on the vet's analysis he's had parasites since I got him, and yet he's insane anyway lol.

I'll be giving health updates on here, fingers crossed he won't have any other complications pop up.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Too cute!! If you haven't already, please make a Pancake & the Hooman instagram. I love fun accounts accounts like yours would be. (Stickyfrogs is one of my favorites - tons of personality on there). :0)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hope the medicine is going well! If it helps I was worried about hydration as well when I gave my dragon meds. So I put in 1cc of water in the syringe before drawing up the medicine. As long as you feed right away it doesn't mix much, and I felt better she got all the medicine with that teeny bit of water to push the medicine all out, plus it was a tiny help of hydration. It took both doses of medicine before she stopped looking wrinkled.

Good luck Pancake. Keep training your hooman to do his job taking care of you :wink:

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":3upbhqca said:
Too cute!! If you haven't already, please make a Pancake & the Hooman instagram. I love fun accounts accounts like yours would be. (Stickyfrogs is one of my favorites - tons of personality on there). :0)

I do have an instagram, although it isnt just for Pancake, I have 2 dogs so they are featured on there too. The username is blepsnboops if you're interested in following :) Although admittedly, I haven't put as much effort into it due to school lol. I will be adding more after I'm done my finals on Saturday though.
There are a lot of cute reptile accounts, spikedays is hilarious; he's a beardie who head bobs at EVERYTHING. I'll have to check out stickyfrogs, I haven't heard of their page before.

By the way, I love your signature :lol:

DorgEndo":3upbhqca said:
Hope the medicine is going well! If it helps I was worried about hydration as well when I gave my dragon meds. So I put in 1cc of water in the syringe before drawing up the medicine. As long as you feed right away it doesn't mix much, and I felt better she got all the medicine with that teeny bit of water to push the medicine all out, plus it was a tiny help of hydration. It took both doses of medicine before she stopped looking wrinkled.

Good luck Pancake. Keep training your hooman to do his job taking care of you :wink:

His last day of the first treatment was on Friday, Pancake didn't seem to have too much of an upset stomach. Although he got pretty turned off of his salads since then (but went crazy for bugs so it wasn't an appetite loss), I think it's because the critical care I was given is the herbivore formula so he technically gets all his veggie protein out of that.

By "both doses of medicine" did you mean after the second round after the two week break?

I asked the vet about mixing the medication with water, but since he pre-filled them, he said no as he didn't want the dosage/concentration being messed up. I bought a separate syringe to give him some water before and after the meds, so it was all good :) I also tried some 1'' hornworms, hoping he would be able to digest that and get some hydration, it went successfully and safely so I will be adding small sized hornworms into his diet.

Pancake: I shall! She checks on me so much now it's annoying. Let me bask in peace hooman! *stink eye*

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
I do have an instagram, although it isnt just for Pancake, I have 2 dogs so they are featured on there too. The username is blepsnboops if you're interested in following :) Although admittedly, I haven't put as much effort into it due to school lol. I will be adding more after I'm done my finals on Saturday though.
There are a lot of cute reptile accounts, spikedays is hilarious; he's a beardie who head bobs at EVERYTHING. I'll have to check out stickyfrogs, I haven't heard of their page before.

By the way, I love your signature :lol:
LOL thanks! Following! Mine (jellyfish527) is also other pets along with my beardie - I have birds and dogs, too. I don't do creative stories/posts like yours though. Just stuff, and very inconsistently. I've never really caught on to the "social" part of social media, I guess. LOL
I'm glad the hornworms are working out for Pancake!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I followed you back Jellyfish, although I'm sure you noticed by now :lol:

I HAVE GREAT NEWS!!!! Pancake's last day of medication was on Monday, and the vet just called me to give me the results of his fecal test from yesterday. He is parasite free!! He's also managed to gain 14 grams and keep them on, which I'm very happy about. I've been going insane cleaning his terrarium, and I'm going back to working full time this week so this is such a relief. The next thing to focus on is getting his weight up and then he will be all good :blob5:

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hooray!!!! Glad the meds are done and the fecal was clear! Yes, thank you - I'm sure I saw the notification the other day. Your dogs are adorable, too :0)
Isn't it wonderful to be owned by so many lovely pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom