My beardie seems permanently paralyzed in the back legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota55

So, I got this bearded dragon from a very bad owner about 2 months ago. They said she was 6-8 months old when I got her. She seemed to be severely impacted when I got her, so I got her a completely new set up. New bigger tank, new lights, new floor, everything.
I gave her a couple baths to clear the impaction because I had read so many posts on here saying that would fix her, and I couldn't find any "reptile" vets in my area. It did to a point, but it seems like she just keeps getting impacted over and over again. She can barely move her back legs. She hasn't ran across her tank like she did when she was younger. (The owner was my neighbor so I would take my niece over to play with their kid). The only time she uses the bathroom is in the bath. She can barely chase the crickets because they are too fast so I feed them to her by hand.. I am just so upset about this and I feel like she is suffering.
The warm side of her tank is around 95° F and the cool side is around 80° F. The crickets I feed her are smaller than the space between her eyes, and I cut her kale up very finely.
Does anyone know of a reasoning for this? Is there anything else I can do? I am so upset for her.. She has barely used her back legs in a month. She just seems to drag the around while struggling to move them a little here and there.
Please don't reply with, "take her to a vet" because I have called multiple places in my area and they have all said they have no background in reptiles.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It looks like the uvb you are using is a coil/ compact. Those don't put off very strong days of uvb. You want to get a reptisun 10.0 T5 long tube and dust the feeders with calcium once a day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, she is most likely suffering from metabolic bone disease from
lack of UVB lighting. She wont be able to absorb her calcium & vitamins
without proper UVB exposure.
As suggested, the Reptisun 10 T5 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube either
one, would be great choices for lighting.
If she isn't able to eat or chase crickets very well, you can try hand feeding
them, or taking the back legs off to help her be able to catch them better.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I suggest

Getting rid of the mesh hammock.
Move the basking platform so it is directly under the basking & UV globes.
Remove the mesh under the UV globe - this is blocking as much as 45% of the UVA & UVB.

Replace the dial style analog thermometer with some of these : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile-/222959498797?oid=391259141696
so you can check the zone temperatures and keep an eye on them.

I recommend a T5HO 12%UVB tube no more than 2/3 the length of the tank.

Dakota55

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who has commented. I will be sure to pick up one of the tube lights today and get some calcium dust for the crickets.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going today?
Definitely try to get the tube bulb mounted underneath of the screen top if you can.
Try to use the calcium powder 5 or so times per week right now to get her levels up
in her system.
Did she eat anything today?

Tracie

Dakota55

Original Poster
Should I mount the uvb lighting to the inside of the tank or leave it on the screen? I've seen alot of "recommendations" that say to leave it on top of the screen. Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This really depends on how far the distance will be from the light to your dragon's basking spot.
The screen does filter out some of the UVB but since the T5 tubes are strong, it wont affect it
all that much. Personally, I like mounting them underneath of the screen just so our dragons get
full UVB coverage.
The best distance is 10-12 inches, for best coverage.

How are things going today?

Tracie

Dakota55

Original Poster
Ok. It will be about 10 inches away on the inside, so I'll do that. She is definitely a fighter so she is doing her best to get around, and definetly moving her back legs a bit more. She still can't quite catch the crickets on her own, but she is doing a bit better. Hopefully within the next week she will begin to get around alot better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok great, that sounds good then. Be sure to have it mounted directly beside the basking
bulb for maximum brightness. :D
I hope that she gets back her mobility soon. Did she eat well today? That's great she is
starting to move her back legs a little more now!

Tracie

Dakota55

Original Poster
Hey everyone. Just wanted to jump back into the discussion and say that my girl is back to normal and actually chasing (yes CHASING!!!) The crickets around on all fours! She seems so happy now too! Thank you for all of the replies and advice I got from everyone!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful news! It sounds like she has made a lot of progress now. :D Bless her.
I'm so happy to hear she can chase her food again, also. I bet she is thrilled & feeling a lot
better about things also.
Feel free to post more pictures & news of her progress for us.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom