Lizard slide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Hi...
So I've been letting my bearded dragon sit up on the windowsill a lot lately as she loves watching the cars go passed all day. Anyway I worry that when she jumps down she'll hurt herself so I've made a cardboard ramp for her to slide down. It's pretty stable so she doesn't fall off the sides or anything. However I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if there's anything that might go wrong.
Thanks in advance

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I haven't, but I think others have posted pics of ramps up to the window. Some people put pillows under in case of a fall .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think a pillow so she lands on something soft if she falls off the window sill is the best option, I'm lucky my beardie's fav window with a view (the only one she has access to) runs from floor level to door top height so she can't fall off anything (there).

Trouble with a slide is it has to be very long and at a relatively shallow angle else unless it's got a very rough surface the beardie's nails can get good traction on , she can build up a fair bit of velocity when she slides down the ramp and can do as much damage to herself when she reaches the bottom. Or you need to put something that has some stiction (resistance to sliding) on the slide to make beardie crawl down rather than slip or slide down.
velocity_at_bottom_of_a_ramp.png

momentum.png

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a small dog bed in the window sill for my dragon. It sits propped on the back of a chair so when he wants to get down he slides down the back of the chair into the cushion which tends to work pretty well. He isn't able to get up there on his own and I try to get there and lift him when I see he wants to get down but the cushion/pillow method tends to work pretty well from that height.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I recall being told many years ago at a First Aid & Safety course run by the Training Dept of Newcastle Steelworks and later in Mine Rescue and Confined Spaces training courses held by the Hunter Valley Mine Rescue Station , that a fall of 4ft onto a hard surface can kill a person outright (not just if they land on their head).

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i have lots of climbing areas for my beardie and i have carpet floors. she will jump down from 2.5-4.5ft high furniture and such all the time. ive never had her fall but i placed fluff at the base of her climbing structures just in case. she seems more than capable to catch her self from a fall of many feet tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom