Possible MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBambi

101005-5082281865.jpg
My beardie has been scaring the hell out of me recently. She seems to stand on the backs of her hands sometimes, however when she walks she seems totally fine, she climbs up to her basking spot with no issues at all. I'm aware that this could be possible MBD which I'm praying it's not. She has a Powersun 100w Mercury bulb and also I recently put a regular heating light along with it because her basking temps weren't as high as they should be, also the tank has been at around 55% humidity on average recently so I'm hoping it will lower that as well, I do have a dehumidifier in the room she's in. She gets crickets dusted with calcium once a day every single day without D3 because of the Mercury bulb. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
*edit- She does not always stand this way but it's enough for it to be concerning to me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a full pic of her tank to show position of the bulb ? She may not be getting enough uvb. For a quick uvb boost, but a large clear plastic storage tote [ colored ones heat up too much ] and take her out in the sun. Don't put it in direct full sun over 78 degrees , it will heat up too much . Create a bit of artificial shade if you don't have an area with mottled or dappled shade. Put a small branch in for her to climb on, but just lay it on the floor.

You may need to get another uvb bulb along with the Powersun, get a Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12-14%.

KingBambi

Original Poster
101005-7119755368.jpg
101005-1793886912.jpg
101005-9323992976.jpg
Here's some pictures that should help. The double light fixture has a UVB coil bulb that is not turned on on the left side and the heating bulb that is on is on the right. The single fixture is the Mercury bulb which is pointed right to the top of her basking spot which is that rock you can see in the corner. Note that I have seen her fall off of this once so I'm not sure if that could be a possible cause of the problem.
*edit- The coil bulb that is not plugged in is in fact the reptisun 10 fyi.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've raised many clutches right from the egg, I can tell you that most babies do better starting off in a smaller,shorter enclosure like the plastic tote. If your baby fell, there possibly is a mobility problem already. Here's are a couple of my plastic totes as examples :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29895/full

The lights can be set on a screen over the top. BTW, the sand mat is too rough for beardies, I don't like these new things that are not useful like that. Can you imagine cleaning poos off of there ? Not your fault, the stores need new stuff to make money. Take that out so she doesn't get hurt any further and keep the floor bare for now or paper towels.

KingBambi

Original Poster
Understood. Thank you very much for the info, she is my first beardie so I'm doing my absolute best to get everything right. I will take out the sand mat and replace it with paper towel, however my only concern is her nails. Wouldn't they not get naturally trimmed from the paper towel?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know you are doing a great job, you took great care in setting her up, the Powersun is just not that strong unless the beardie is basking about 8-10" below it for hours. Another thing to consider is that some babies are more predisposed to calcium issues depending on the health of the mother as well as the care received before you got it. So there's no fault on your end. Those sand mats are a newer item, most people using them end up taking them out. I'd take it for a refund if you're able.

And no, their nails won't get long until they're a bit older and as long as you have a few good climbing rocks in there it will work out fine. Oh, and it would be good to feed her twice a day, use calcium WITH D3 twice a week. Is her appetite pretty good ?

KingBambi

Original Poster
She usually eats around 12 small crickets a day once in the morning and once at night so around 6 crickets each time she's fed. 6 of those are dusted at night with calcium, she gets veggies everyday too but I've never seen her touch them. So are you recommending using calcium with D3 just twice a week and no other calcium or twice a week with D3 while still using no D3 in between?
edit- also do you recommend I turn the reptisun bulb on as well?
Update- I've seen her fall twice more. Should I take her big rock out to avoid injury or will she be alright?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, take the higher perches out, but I recommend above all to set her up in a plastic tote like I mentioned. That way the bulbs will be closer to her and you can set her up with a small basking log close to the ground that she won't fall from and grab a nice stone from outside, wash with hot soapy water + vinegar and that will be a lower area for her to bask.

Calcium w/D3 twice a week, the rest of the days regular calcium w/out D3 for now. Will she eat a few more crickets per feeding if you offer them to her ? And try to get her in the sun and get the long tube uvb bulb I mentioned.

KingBambi

Original Poster
She usually maxes out at 6 crickets per feeding and doesn't usually want more but sometimes she'll have 7 or 8 per feeding. Sadly the long tube isn't an option for me right now because of money. As for the tote I don't think that will be an option either. I will remove the tall rock and place a new one in with her that she won't fall off of. I will also turn on the reptisun uvb bulb as well.

KingBambi

Original Poster
101005-126103880.jpg
Her standing has already improved. Starting to think the previous substrate was just very hard on her hands

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
hi King i use shelf lining with no adhesive you can buy a roll at a hardware store cut it with scissors you can make a few mats easy to clean too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom