Bearded Dragon weak front legs, can't walk properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He be a she ! Yes, that's a female. And good to hear that she's doing better ! Hopefully extra calcium and better lighting will help her condition.

melfern92

Original Poster
Hi All, we got the test results back from the vet and they said her ionized calcium was normal and she tested negative for the adenovirus. The only thing out of the ordinary was that her white blood cell count was high as if she is fighting an infection. Attached are the photos of the results
100908-521186307.jpg
100908-596941230.jpg

We are very confused and not sure what to do. The vet said we should continue the antibiotic and the anti-inflammatory and give daily baths and hope that she gets better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
With blood tests, keep in mind that the wbc can be high simply from the stress of going to the vet and of not being well. This can give a false impression of infection. And again, a beardie can have a calcium problem even if the tests show otherwise. But you should do what you feel comfortable doing.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with vets that can't even sex the dragon. :? And the advice to bathe daily is based on old thought that it would hydrate them when in fact it only helps if the dragon is drinking. Every few days is fine though, unless she really likes it, otherwise it's extra stress . How long is she to be on the antibiotx ?

How's she doing all in all ?

melfern92

Original Poster
The antibiotics are for two weeks, so its been one week so far on it. Overall shes the same, still weak front legs and has gained weight quickly. Not sure if its the food supplements we have been giving her with no exercise or something else but I feel light being larger isn't going to help with movement if shes already weak. She did eat two blueberries on her own accord yesterday which is the first shes wanted to eat anything.

We got the new light and mounted it to the top of the tank yesterday afternoon, so I guess all we can do is wait and hope it helps with time. I am not sure at this point what else we can do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The blood tests look pretty good, actually. Just looking at the blood tests, it doesn't
appear that she has an infection really. If she does, it is a low grade one. It didn't look like
the levels on the white blood cell counts were all that elevated. As suggested, stress can
also cause high readings for tests sometimes.
The calcium levels look good on paper. Initially the mg/dl reading is good & so is the ionized calcium.
It is possible that the body could be leaching some calcium from the bones since the regular
calcium levels are a little on the high side.
Or, since your dragon is female, could she have eggs? It didn't have the protein breakdown
so I can't determine from the albumin levels. I did notice that the uric acid is on the higher
end so I wouldn't want to see it get any higher. This could be just simple stress or dehydration
perhaps.
How is she doing today? Hopefully the new light will help her out a lot. Please keep us posted
on her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Tracie, those levels are not very high and are consistent with her stress level possibly bumping it up a bit, similar to a person'r blood pressure reading being a bit higher at the Dr.'s office. If she's gaining too much weight, just give her the supplement every other day. She can still turn around, please don't be too discouraged. I know this is your baby.

melfern92

Original Poster
Thank you both for being so concerned for her, we are still hopeful she can get better. Shes the same so far I think even a little stronger, they couldn't get the calcium serum in until Monday so we are hoping to see more improvement now that we are finally giving her more calcium.

How would I tell if she is having eggs? If there is a good guide on how to tell I can see if maybe that's the case. Since I thought it was a boy for so long I didn't think that could be a possibility!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Eggs that are developing can show on an Xray. But if you were looking for signs that she is carrying eggs, they start to dig around a lot usually, some even wear their nails down looking for a " perfect " spot to lay.

melfern92

Original Poster
hmm that's probably not it then since we did an x-ray and they didn't mention anything and I haven't noticed her dig to that extent at all. But I will keep it in the back of my head for the future.

melfern92

Original Poster
Hi all, an update! Grunbeld is doing much better today we are so happy, she was supporting herself with her front legs today and walking with more strength.
100908-6304362751.jpg

Thank you for all your help and advice, setting up the UVB light properly with the calcium really seems to be doing the trick!

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
I agree is more calcium related then infection.if you leg hurts and is swollen your going to take an inflammatory meds and not antibiotics right?if it was me I continue the inflammatory meds but not the antibiotics.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is great Grunbeld is doing better! :D
It sounds like the calcium & lighting changes are really helping her out. She looks happy &
very beautiful. Keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

melfern92

Original Poster
Hi All! I know its been a while but I wanted to do an update. Grunbeld is walking again and her appetite has gone back to normal. We heeded everyones advice on the lighting recommendations and continue to feed her lots of greens, worms, and her normal calcium/vitamin dusting. However, she never fully regained the mobility or activity of her former self. We encourage movement every day and let her walk around in the tub with low water levels but mostly she only wants to move to get into a comfy position or places around her tank. Overall I am happy with her recovery! But I do wish there was some way to get her back to walking fast. If you guys have any suggestions on how to encourage movement please let me know!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh that's good to hear ! Do you have a safe warm room that she can roam around in ? If so, let her run free but check for ANY small objects that might be swallowed, rubberbands, coins, hair scrunchies, plastic wrap, those are all things that beardies have eaten. Put some " obstacles " for her to climb on, maybe an overturned [ so it's not TOO high ] cat perch.

Better yet, if it's warm outside let her roam around the yard, supervised of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom