Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope those meds are working for Gabriel. He's such a fighter. Those west coast fires really are bad this year. It's affecting our air quality even out here in Iowa. Hopefully they will be contained soon.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
We have a red sun and the smoke is down to street level in alot of areas, especially downtown Vancouver where I work. Seniors and babies are requested to stay inside and when outside, nothing strenuous. I hate it, we're just waiting for a big wind to push it all away. There are over 600 wildfires in BC, more in Alberta, not sure of the prairies but I'm sure there are some there, too. Portland, Oregon has a huge one still blazing, lots of people are being evacuated here as well as there. And, of course, there are the fires burning in California. It's been a lousy summer because of the smoke.

Gabriel is doing much better since the heart meds, I inject in his worms and he gobbles them up. He's had his good colours on for a few days now. Back to the vet tomorrow to have him checked and hopefully I get good news. He did a regular poop yesterday, but he flooded his tank with fluid, so I'm hoping that's from the heart meds and the fluid is gone around his heart. If that's the case, then it's up the new stronger RI med to get him well. Hopefully by end September he'll be back to normal again.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Wow -- I didn't realize you were having so much trouble with fires in your area. That can't be good for Gabriel with the RI, so I hope you've been able to keep the smoke away from him.

I lived in California for most of the first 30 years of my life, and the brush fires were always a thing -- every few years we'd get some really bad ones, and I've seen the red sun and the red moon a few times. It's gotten worse since I left. We get the forest fires here in Alaska sometimes too, but this year hasn't been too bad. There were a few fires earlier in the season, but nothing really major. We've had plenty of rain off and on this month -- the usual for August here. That seemed unusual to me at first -- in California, August tends to be the hottest and driest month, and the worst of the fire season. Here, that's usually June, but every year is a little different. It's nice today, but our short summer is definitely winding down.

I hope you guys gets some nice rain soon, and hope Gabriel continues to recover. :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had the living room curtains closed the whole time we were covered, it was particles in the smoke that was the issues & that bothered alot of people with asthma. I don't have that, but I did walk for 2 long walks during that 12 days and was affected by it, but I'm ok now. Just have to take my puffers more often. Puffers are for allergies that bug me all the time.

So for Gabriel, he got worse because there was fluid around his heart. So the diuretics that I was giving him worked and the fluid is gone. My vet was concerned because she couldn't hear his heartbeat. So now he's on a new med for RI that is supposed to knock it out. It's working but it's knocked him out because all he does is sleep on this med. He gets another shot tomorrow, but I'll make sure he gets a small bath to clean off his beard. I have supplements to give him Friday/Sat, then another shot on Sunday. When he gets shots I don't give him anything but water, on the other days he gets Serrepeptase and Reptophilus, a probiotic for dragons on a site of a friend. I buy most of my liquids from her. She's in Texas, her site is www.bug-de-lite.com. She has everything a dragon could need, supplement wise.

So Gabriel is so far doing well, he gets his 4th shot tomorrow, only has 6 left. I had to freeze the med in the syringe and then I defrost the one I need for him. He's not having any pain from the shot anymore, since I froze it all.

Gabriel and Freya are the only ones up, but they both just want to sleep, except that Freya still wants to eat almost every day. Quiet household right now.

Got Bella to the groomers today, saw my grandkids and now have to run out again. Time to get gas (reduced at this time of night) and some groceries, take some $ to my son for Leo's school next week, get dog walker $, so I'll be on later.

I still have alot of pictures to post LOL

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi --
Time's been getting away from me lately -- what happened to the summer? I blinked and I missed it... :shock:

We had a run of nice weather for the first part of September, but winter will catch up with us sooner or later. The leaves are turning and we've had some lovely golden late afternoons with the sun shining on the trees.

Puff's weight has been holding around 530 grams for the last several weeks since we got him the new digital scale -- much easier to use and read. His appetite has returned to normal too, which unfortunately means that he's back to thinking he's supposed to be a strict carnivore. He only eats greens when he's mortally hungry, but rarely refuses live bugs. We can still get him to eat a little butternut squash once in a while, as well as an occasional "jelly worm" made of Repashy Grub Pie. We have a few pinkies left in the freezer for an occasional treat, but won't be buying them anymore after these are gone. We've had some trouble getting live bugs at the local pet stores -- apparently one of the suppliers had some sort of an infestation and lost a bunch of their roach colonies, but we've just barely managed to keep enough live bugs around to feed him as many as he seems to want. Now that he's back at a comfortable weight, he doesn't seem to need as much to maintain, and we're back to feeding him bugs about 3 times a week, with veggies available all the time, just in case he decides he wants some. :roll:

I hope Gabriel is feeling better and recovering from the RI by now. I also hope the rest of your brumaters are sleeping comfortably and staying healthy. Puff usually doesn't brumate to any great degree, and if he ever tried, I'd probably try to convince him not to by extending his artificial photoperiod (in other words, leaving his lights on longer), because I really don't think he's quite healthy enough to let him go to sleep for several months, although he has put back on all the weight he'd lost about 6 months ago. But if I had as many beardies as you do, I suppose I might look forward to brumation because it would give me a little break? :wink: Especially if they were all healthy enough that I didn't feel like I had to worry about them too much.

It sounds like the rest of your family is keeping you plenty busy in the meantime.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So Nathaniel woke up last Sunday and never went back to sleep. Instead Freya is now brumating. So still have 2 dragons up, 3 down. We'll see how that goes. Gabriel sees the vet next Wed, he's still gaping, though not seeing any mucus in his mouth. So not sure if it's gone or not. We'll just have to see next Wed if he needs more meds.

i'm off to stay with my nephews tonight, their folks are away for the weekend. So that should be fun.

And we're finally getting lots of rain, so hoping they're getting it up north, too, so those fires will finally be out. So much devastation over this past summer, just after people rebuilt and got back into their homes. This year there were more small fires & a bit one that got out of control. But we haven't had any smoke here since that time I mentioned the red sun. My mom went out one of the days and had to see her doc, she couldn't breathe very well, but she's fine now.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi --
Time seems to get away from me more and more these days. I hope your family is still doing well, beardies and humans both. I also hope that Gabriel's RI is better by now, and that the others are staying healthy whether they're asleep or awake.

Puff continues to do well. His weight has stabilized around 530 grams, give or take 10-20 grams of food, water, and poop that's just passing through. Lost his appetite for greens again, but still chases bugs with much enthusiasm. Back to "normal." I guess he doesn't really like greens -- only eats them when he's mortally hungry. But we can still get him to eat a little butternut squash and "jelly worms" (Repashy grub pie). I can actually relate to that. I only like vegetables when I'm really really hungry myself. :wink:

We've had unseasonably "warm" weather (relatively speaking) so far this fall, but enough rain later in the season that we haven't had too many bad fires. They are starting to worry about another spruce bark beetle infestation though. That tends to happen when it gets warmer than usual. But it's a gray sleepy day today, and Puff is zoned out under his heat lamps drifting in and out... :sleepy2: :shock: :sleepy2:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm so glad that Puff is holding stead, especially during the winter when it's hard to get dragons to eat. Makes me feel good :love5:

I worked 5 hours yesterday and could hardly move today. Sitting is really starting to be difficult for me so I stood (have a stand for keyboard & monitor) for about 3 of the 5 hours. I have to be full time by end of next week or I lose my benefits and won't get paid through work either. It's been a struggle but I'll get full time even if it makes me sick...

It's a 1/2 sunny 1/2 cloudy kind of day but not too cold, which is good.

I'm not sure about Gabriel, if the foam I see on the side of his mouth is part of an RI or not. He's not acting at all sick, walking around, even across the living room. Always has his good colours on, and not much of a black beard. But either way we're going to the vet on Oct 25 when I actually have $. Just to make very sure he's ok. If he's not, it'll show by then.

Freya and Nathaniel woke up (Nathaniel again) when I gave them baths last weekend. It was our Thanksgiving in Canada, so had a turkey dinner on Sun night at my youngest brother & family. It was alot of fun.

My granddaughter Safara was 4 on Wednesday, so we had a party for her. And tomorrow she starts he ballet class, then Eric, Leo and Safara are coming to my place. Eric will do wash, I'll get the kids to the park so they can run around. Then turkey dinner at his place. He said the earlier we all leave the better as he has to get kids to bed at a certain time so they'll get a good night's sleep, so we'll see how that works. Then I'm going to my nephews home (youngest brother Dave & wife Annika's home) because my 12 yr old nephew, Ryder, doesn't like to not have an adult in the house, even though his 18 yr old brother is home, too. So Ryder and I will watch movies or I'll read while he's playing on his computer. He just wants me there. Can't sleep over, have work on Monday, but will stay until about 10:30 and just go to bed after I walk Bella.

So Freya is hiding somewhere on the balcony or in the apartment. She was in the sun on the big chair in the living room and jumped down but I can't find her. So I'm waiting for darkness so I can take my flashlight and see if I can find her then. I've found it's easier to find a hiding dragon with a flashlight when it's dark. She's here somewhere, the front door hasn't been opened. I've been home all day, back gave out this am, but seeing Chiro tomorrow.

I have some pictures that I haven't posted, so will get on that later. Pics of Gabriel, Freya and Nathaniel. I don't think Freya will go back to sleep, but she did brumate for 3 weeks. :lol:

Cierra won't be awake until Feb, she does this every year, 6 mo of brumation from Aug to end Feb. Castiel went down in mid-May, so I think I'm going to have to wake him up end Oct & make him stay up. I think 6 mo is the limit I'll let my dragons sleep.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
:x Well it's been awhile since I posted and during that time, Gabriel has gotten so much worse. He recovered from the RI by end September but had gotten very weak and hardly any energy. Then, when I visited my vet end Sept, she noticed a lump under his rib cage but wasn't sure what it could be. Well, here we are, Oct 25 and the aneurysm that we'd discovered in 2016 and that he absorbed in 2017, was back with a vengence. It had grown to the point where he has to gasp to breathe, wouldn't eat anything and was getting weaker. Then I realized that I was keeping him alive for me, not for him. He was over 8 1/2 yrs old and had had 3 months of a nasty RI that took 3 months of different meds to get better. So I realized it was time to say goodbye. I took him to the vet today and my vet agreed. The aneurysm was still getting bigger and slowly killing him. So I held him while she gave him the sedative, then the 2nd shot to stop his heart. I'd already been crying since Tuesday afternoon and was still crying to see my Gabriel go. My heart is so sad. He'll be buried with his brothers and sister on Sunday. My friend has a beardie cemetery in the corner of her yard where our dragons are buried. So he will rest in piece. And has his wings & is over the Rainbow Bridge.
11887-551900152.jpg
11887-7880195644.jpg
11887-568147167.jpg
11887-4104439467.jpg
11887-6224530027.jpg
11887-8213266739.jpg

The pictures are of Gabriel & Freya and at the end, Gabriel and Imp. Gabriel was the only dragon I'd ever had that was easy with my other dragons. He was safe to be with Freya as wasn't interested in mating. And he and Imp were out all the time before Imp passed Dec/17.

A friend of mine has a dragon that needs re-homing, so I'll be bringing Grrr home on Sunday after I bury Gabriel. I'll announce that when she's home.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah no =(. Gabriel was the biggest fighter. I hate to see him go. Maybe it was too much though. Poor guy. I'm thinking of him (and you) tonight. :cry:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much. It was the 3 meds for the RI that weakened him and when the aneurysm moved into his belly, he just couldn't cope with it. I hated to say goodbye but at least I was able to hold him through the whole ordeal. I took a few days off work, held him all day yesterday and this am & at the vet. I'm sure missing him. It will hit me harder tomorrow morning when his lights don't come on.

A good friend of mine has a dragon that desperately needs to be rehomed, so I think she'll be coming home with me on Sunday...I hate seeing Gabriel's tank empty, so it will be good to see life in his tank. I started to feel guilty but then realized that Gabriel would want that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can't think of a better home for her and I'm sure Gabriel will want you to continue providing a loving home for his brothers and sisters. I haven't found a better way of honoring them than taking good care of their friends and family. Gabriel sure had a good life with you. He was one of the lucky ones.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much, I so appreciate your kind words. I'm glad your boy is doing so very well. At least I had Gabriel for 7 healthy years before he got so sick this year. I was so glad to get him in good health and he continually beat the odds. He was a good fighter. I know he loved me as much as I loved him :love5:

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
I already commented on your Facebook Keeping Dragons Safe, but you gave more info here. I’m so happy to hear that your going to give another needy dragon a good life! You are such an inspiration to me Deb. So proud of you. You never cease to amaze me! If my husband let me, I’d have more than one dragon also. He thinks one is enough work. :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Belly, I saw your entry, thanks so much for your support. It's always hard to say goodbye to a beloved dragon. Not my first time, though it does get harder. I'd had Gabriel for over 7 years, so he was close to 9 years old. The aneurysm was diagnosed in 2016 and I thought that was a death sentence. Yet he managed to absorb it in 2017. So it was gone for over a year but when he got sick with the RI in July and had 3 mo of meds in a row to get rid of it, he never got his strength back and the aneurysm grew to more than previously and took all the space in his belly. So he couldn't eat or drink very well and by Monday morning, he was just sleeping. That's no life for a dragon. He couldn't even walk anymore because of the weight in his belly. I knew then it was time. I don't want my dragons to ever suffer, so the decision was made. I stayed with Gabriel, holding him the whole time, held him the day before & that morning, too, and cried all over him on Wed am. He knows that I loved him greatly and he's now got his wings and is over the Rainbow Bridge. Sigh...house seems so empty without him. Belly, my first dragon rescue was my son's dragon and it just went from there. Roger, hubby, worked at a pet shop for a year 2008 to 2009 and we had a hospital going for the 14 babies he had in his care. There was a biter and it took awhile to figure out which baby was doing it, he went into his own tank. Roger, meanwhile, was bringing the bitten babies home to rehab. Issy had a 30 gallon tank (she was 5 mo old), so she shared her tank with the babies that were being tended. And they all lived and were smuggled back into the store tank when Roger went to work. So they were all healed and the biter was sold. That's also when I found my Rubio. I used to make salads for the babies so in return I got my Rubio. That was in 2008 and he passed in 2014. This was my Rubio, he was the biggest dragon I'd ever had to date. He was 22" long with a tail nip and 840g was his regular weight. Here he is with my son. He was a huge beardie

11887-8872558907.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom