Question on feeding and administering meds to sick dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

NessaRN13

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. My Beardie is 7-8 years old. A friend of mine gave him to us back in December 2017. He is the first reptile I’ve ever owned, so when we first got him I bought a couple of books on bearded dragons, read as much as I could from different websites (this one included), just anything to try and educate myself and give him the best life I can. Long story short, about 3 months ago he started having a decrease in appetite. Took him to a vet and was told it could be the recent construction (living room wall replaced) and the formaldehyde smell affecting his appetite. Within the last 2 weeks he hasn’t eaten much of anything and began having loose, watery BM. I brought him to another vet and she diagnosed him with giardia (have to say I am much more comfortable with the newfound vet). He is currently receiving flagyl and a powdered form of food that we reconstitute with water. This is day 4 of force feeding him. He’s still not wanting to eat anything, and becoming quite irritated with me.
I am looking for any information or advice on how to possibly keep him from becoming irritated while he receives his treatment. The flagyl is easy enough to get down, but the powdered food requires more time. Should
I start trying to feed him more greens in the next coming week and decrease the powdered food? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated as I am new to reptiles. Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, is the dragon of good size + weight ? An adult can go quite a while without food so if he is healthy there's no need to feed him every day. Even with the supplement just every 2-3 days will do. You can also spark his appetite with a new insect. Have you tried hornworms ? Most beardies can't resist. Stress will be a cycle that keeps him from eating [ he hates the force feeding ] but once the giardia is under control his appetite may come back on it's own. He may also be looking to brumate.

Can you post pics of him, also his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

NessaRN13

Original Poster
I assume he’s a healthy weight. The vet didn’t really say anything other than he needed to eat. I have given him hornworms and he did enjoy them. I will have to buy a few more to have on hand to feed him. Thank you so much for the info! It is appreciated! I hope his appetite comes back soon

NessaRN13

Original Poster
100932-4965933603.jpg

He’s in a 40 gallon with slate tile. Basking bulb, reptisun 10.
The picture of him is from this morning.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks pretty good, maybe a bit tired + dehydrated. You can definitely offer some greens and get some nice big hornworms. Lay one in with the greens and he'll get a mouthful along with the worm [ hopefully ] :) And yes, he can eat a full sized worm so if you can only get smallish ones, keep them warm + they will get big in a few days to a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom